Links not working in any Web browsers.

Marko

Links not working in any Web browsers.
At first I thought this was an IE7 problem but after installing Firefox the
problem exists there as well.
Problem:
Most of the links on web pages will NOT connect from this machine. For
instance, using any Search Engine (Live search, Google, Ask.com etc) I can
NOT connect to any of the sponsored links. When I copy and paste the named
web address for that link then I connect without a problem.

I've posted in the IE and Firefox groups without even getting a suggestion.
I had even uninstalled spybot and adaware and stopped the firewall and
Kaspersky but the problem remained.
It looks to me like a security setting but I don't know where else to look.

Charlie42

Re: Links not working in any Web browsers.
"Marko" <Marko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Problem:
> Most of the links on web pages will NOT connect from this machine. For
> instance, using any Search Engine (Live search, Google, Ask.com etc) I
> can NOT connect to any of the sponsored links. When I copy and paste
> the named web address for that link then I connect without a problem.
>
> I've posted in the IE and Firefox groups without even getting a
> suggestion.
> I had even uninstalled spybot and adaware and stopped the firewall and
> Kaspersky but the problem remained.
> It looks to me like a security setting but I don't know where else to
> look.

Here is a guess: One of your security programs, or perhaps you yourself,
have blocked unwanted tracking/advertising services in the hosts file
(Google Ads would be such a service). Open up the file in a text editor like
Notepad, it is located in this folder:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

Look for entries like this, and remove them if you want access to the
domain:

127.0.0.1 www.somedomainname.com

Charlie42

Marko

"Charlie42" wrote:

> "Marko" <Marko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Problem:
> > Most of the links on web pages will NOT connect from this machine. For
> > instance, using any Search Engine (Live search, Google, Ask.com etc) I
> > can NOT connect to any of the sponsored links. When I copy and paste
> > the named web address for that link then I connect without a problem.
> >
> > I've posted in the IE and Firefox groups without even getting a
> > suggestion.
> > I had even uninstalled spybot and adaware and stopped the firewall and
> > Kaspersky but the problem remained.
> > It looks to me like a security setting but I don't know where else to
> > look.
> > Any help would be very much appreciated.

> Here is a guess: One of your security programs, or perhaps you yourself,
> have blocked unwanted tracking/advertising services in the hosts file
> (Google Ads would be such a service). Open up the file in a text editor like
> Notepad, it is located in this folder:
>
> C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
>
> Look for entries like this, and remove them if you want access to the
> domain:
>
> 127.0.0.1 www.somedomainname.com
>
> Charlie42

Thanks but I don't have anything like that under ...drivers\etc.
All that I have there is:
Hosts
Hosts.mvp
Imhosts.sam
networks
protocol
services
Ronc

"Marko" <Marko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Thanks but I don't have anything like that under ...drivers\etc.
> All that I have there is:
> Hosts
> Hosts.mvp

Open "Hosts" in Notepad. The fact that you also have "Hosts.mvp" is a big
clue that a HOSTS file was downloaded from
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm and that that is what you are
using to block "tracking" websites. To see if that is the problem rename
HOSTS to NOHOSTS. There is even a batch file available that will toggle the
renaming back and forth. I keep a shortcut to this batch file on my desktop
but rarely use it since I normally wish to keep the protection provided by
the mvps hosts file. BTW, this file is updated often so if you decide you
like it, you should update it. However updating it will not fix your
"problem", renaming or deleting it will allow you to go to the roughly
15,000 blocked websites.

Gene K

Re: Links not working in any Web browsers.
Right click the "Hosts" file and select open with Notepad (if I comprehend
Charlie).
Gene K

"Ronc" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> Open "Hosts" in Notepad. The fact that you also have "Hosts.mvp" is a
> big clue that a HOSTS file was downloaded from
> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm and that that is what you are
> using to block "tracking" websites.

"Ronc" is right. The MVPs hosts file blocks Google Adservices and several
similar domains. It is known to cause these problems. Open up the file
called "hosts" (without the quotes), edit it, or just follow the advice
"Ronc" gave you.

Charlie42

> To see if that is the problem rename HOSTS to NOHOSTS. There is
> even a batch file available that will toggle the renaming back and forth.
> keep a shortcut to this batch file on my desktop but rarely use it since I
> normally wish to keep the protection provided by the mvps hosts file.
> BTW, this file is updated often so if you decide you like it, you should
> update it. However updating it will not fix your "problem", renaming or
> deleting it will allow you to go to the roughly 15,000 blocked websites.

Marko

Re: Links not working in any Web browsers.
THANK YOU!!!
That took care of it. The list of addresses in that file seems endless so
that I'll have to find out more about the pros and cons of keeping it. It
sure bugs me when there are so many links that simply won't open.

"Ronc" wrote:

> "Marko" <Marko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > Thanks but I don't have anything like that under ...drivers\etc.
> > All that I have there is:
> > Hosts
> > Hosts.mvp

> Open "Hosts" in Notepad. The fact that you also have "Hosts.mvp" is a big
> clue that a HOSTS file was downloaded from
> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm and that that is what you are
> using to block "tracking" websites. To see if that is the problem rename
> HOSTS to NOHOSTS. There is even a batch file available that will toggle the
> renaming back and forth. I keep a shortcut to this batch file on my desktop
> but rarely use it since I normally wish to keep the protection provided by
> the mvps hosts file. BTW, this file is updated often so if you decide you
> like it, you should update it. However updating it will not fix your
> "problem", renaming or deleting it will allow you to go to the roughly
> 15,000 blocked websites.

Frenchy

Marko wrote:
> THANK YOU!!!
> That took care of it. The list of addresses in that file seems endless so
> that I'll have to find out more about the pros and cons of keeping it. It
> sure bugs me when there are so many links that simply won't open.
>
> "Ronc" wrote:
>
>> "Marko" <Marko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Thanks but I don't have anything like that under ...drivers\etc.
>>> All that I have there is:
>>> Hosts
>>> Hosts.mvp

>> Open "Hosts" in Notepad. The fact that you also have "Hosts.mvp" is a big
>> clue that a HOSTS file was downloaded from
>> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm and that that is what you are
>> using to block "tracking" websites. To see if that is the problem rename
>> HOSTS to NOHOSTS. There is even a batch file available that will toggle the
>> renaming back and forth. I keep a shortcut to this batch file on my desktop
>> but rarely use it since I normally wish to keep the protection provided by
>> the mvps hosts file. BTW, this file is updated often so if you decide you
>> like it, you should update it. However updating it will not fix your
>> "problem", renaming or deleting it will allow you to go to the roughly
>> 15,000 blocked websites.

I have Vista Ultimate and I think my AV (NOD31 Suite) or maybe Winpatrol
protects any alteration to my Hosts file. Viewing the Host File in
Notepad shows only 2 lines (ignoring those prefixed by a #)

127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost

Can you help with what is the last line does and what do the :: mean?

Thanks

Frenchy
Still trying to trace why I have red x's in any E-Mail with http// link

Ronc

"Frenchy" <Frenchy@invalid.com> wrote in message
> I have Vista Ultimate and I think my AV (NOD31 Suite) or maybe Winpatrol
> protects any alteration to my Hosts file. Viewing the Host File in
> Notepad shows only 2 lines (ignoring those prefixed by a #)
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> ::1 localhost
>
> Can you help with what is the last line does and what do the :: mean?

I don't have an AV program but I believe Vista is "protecting" it's own
files. Try using an admin account and test by first trying to rename the
hosts file. Although I'm not sure, I expect the second line is equivalent
to the first only for IPv6 instead of IPv4.

Charlie42

Re: Links not working in any Web browsers.
"Ronc" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> I don't have an AV program but I believe Vista is "protecting" it's own
> files. Try using an admin account and test by first trying to rename the
> hosts file. Although I'm not sure, I expect the second line is equivalent
> to the first only for IPv6 instead of IPv4.

Yup. And Vista's UAC protects the hosts file. I would not recommend running
without an AV though.

Charlie42