sleep mode

ran440

sleep mode
Can't figure out why my computer wakes itself from sleep mode. After a while
it will go back into sleep mode then wake itself again. It will continue to
do this over and over without touching anything.
Using Vista on a Compac Presario.
Thanks,
Randy
Victek

Re: sleep mode
> Can't figure out why my computer wakes itself from sleep mode. After a
> while
> it will go back into sleep mode then wake itself again. It will continue
> do this over and over without touching anything.
> Using Vista on a Compac Presario.
> Thanks,
> Randy

If you look at the power management tab in the properties for specific
devices (Device Manager) you will see an option that says "allow this device
to wake the computer". In my experience the most common causes are network
activity and mouse movement, so you could try turning off the "wake" option
for the mouse and the network adapter.

Brink

Re: sleep mode

ran440;740618 Wrote:
> Can't figure out why my computer wakes itself from sleep mode. After a
> while
> it will go back into sleep mode then wake itself again. It will
> continue to
> do this over and over without touching anything.
> Using Vista on a Compac Presario.
> Thanks,
> Randy

Hi Randy,

This tutorial may help you find out what is waking up your computer. I
would check in the BIOS and Device Power Management properties to turn
off the "Wake ...." options for the network device. This is a usual
cause.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63...-problems.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
t-4-2

Re: sleep mode

"ran440" <ran440@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can't figure out why my computer wakes itself from sleep mode. After a
> while
> it will go back into sleep mode then wake itself again. It will continue
> do this over and over without touching anything.
> Using Vista on a Compac Presario.
> Thanks,
> Randy

Hello ran440,
Besides what Victek and Brink said, it is also possible that someone had
your computer set up so that it will wake up temporarily just long enough to
do certain tasks; ie. Windows Defender scanning, scheduled disk
defragmantation, windows update etc. That would explain why your computer
was turning on and off by itself.