manual reg

Geekgirl

manual reg
is there a place where i can see the manual registry for vista win 32
ultimate version
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: manual reg
On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 15:06:00 -0700, Geekgirl
<Geekgirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> is there a place where i can see the manual registry for vista win 32
> ultimate version

What do you mean by the "manual registry"? That's not a standard term.

You can see the registry with the registry editor, Regedit.exe. But be
aware that any changes you make there, even accidentally, are saved
immediately, and a bad change can result in an unbootable computer. So
it's a dangerous place to be.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Geekgirl

Re: manual reg
i mean to manually remove errors in the registry, i know its a scary place to
be, is defrag the best way to clean up errors then because registry cleaners
are too scary

"Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 15:06:00 -0700, Geekgirl
> <Geekgirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > is there a place where i can see the manual registry for vista win 32
> > ultimate version

> What do you mean by the "manual registry"? That's not a standard term.
>
> You can see the registry with the registry editor, Regedit.exe. But be
> aware that any changes you make there, even accidentally, are saved
> immediately, and a bad change can result in an unbootable computer. So
> it's a dangerous place to be.
>
> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

peter

Re: manual reg
Defrag does NOT clean up errors......It reorganises files and basically
removes the unused space between fragments of files...etc etc
What makes you think you think that you have an error in the registry????

peter

"Geekgirl" <Geekgirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i mean to manually remove errors in the registry, i know its a scary place
> be, is defrag the best way to clean up errors then because registry
> cleaners
> are too scary

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: manual reg
On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 15:48:00 -0700, Geekgirl
<Geekgirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> i mean to manually remove errors in the registry, i know its a scary place to
> be,

What errors? What makes you think there are errors? There is normally
no need to ever do something like this. Moreover it is extremely
dangerous.

> is defrag the best way to clean up errors then

Defrag is another thing entirely and does *nothing* to clean up
registry errors.

> because registry cleaners
> are too scary

Absolutely. Registry cleaning programs are *all* snake oil. Cleaning
of the registry isn't needed and is dangerous. Leave the registry
alone and don't use any registry cleaner. Despite what many people
think, and what vendors of registry cleaning software try to convince
you of, having unused registry entries doesn't really hurt you.

The risk of a serious problem caused by a registry cleaner erroneously
removing an entry you need is far greater than any potential benefit
it may have.

It sounds to me like you are looking for trouble--looking to do
something that doesn't need doing. Moreover, unless you are a very
skilled user (and the nature of your question suggests that you are a
relative beginner), disaster is probably in store for you if you fall
around with this.

> "Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 15:06:00 -0700, Geekgirl
> > <Geekgirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > > is there a place where i can see the manual registry for vista win 32
> > > ultimate version

> > What do you mean by the "manual registry"? That's not a standard term.
> >
> > You can see the registry with the registry editor, Regedit.exe. But be
> > aware that any changes you make there, even accidentally, are saved
> > immediately, and a bad change can result in an unbootable computer. So
> > it's a dangerous place to be.
> >
> > --
> > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
> > Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Nonny

Re: manual reg
On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 15:48:00 -0700, Geekgirl
<Geekgirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>i mean to manually remove errors in the registry, i know its a scary place to
>be, is defrag the best way to clean up errors then because registry cleaners
>are too scary

Judging from your first two posts, I'd bet heavy money that we'll be
seeing a lot from you in the coming months when you screw up your
system.
Charlie Tame

Re: manual reg
Geekgirl wrote:
> i mean to manually remove errors in the registry, i know its a scary place to
> be, is defrag the best way to clean up errors then because registry cleaners
> are too scary
>
> "Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 15:06:00 -0700, Geekgirl
>> <Geekgirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>>> is there a place where i can see the manual registry for vista win 32
>>> ultimate version

>> What do you mean by the "manual registry"? That's not a standard term.
>>
>> You can see the registry with the registry editor, Regedit.exe. But be
>> aware that any changes you make there, even accidentally, are saved
>> immediately, and a bad change can result in an unbootable computer. So
>> it's a dangerous place to be.
>>
>> --
>> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
>> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Ken's question is a good one and his later answer even better.

Please explain, if you can, what makes you think there are registry
errors? It is no use taking notice of some program that's told you there
are because those things are mostly trash designed to make you buy
something you don't need and will probably cause you more trouble.

You don't need to "Clean Up" your registry as these things advertise,
that is a misconception. You need to do that only if something like a
Virus has damaged something. Surplus or unused registry entries don't
affect performance, in fact Microsoft put some there that will never be
used by most users simply because they "May be needed someday".