Vista uses the disk a lot after login

Noiano

Vista uses the disk a lot after login
Hello everybody
I am a very new user of vista. I have been xp for a while though . I have
successfully installed the sp1 and there are no serious problem so far.
However a serious problem is rising:I hoped SP1 solved it but it did not.
Soon after I login the disk on my laptop is intensively used: I succeded in
identifying the process which causes the problem and is
C:\windows\system32\config\regback. It uses the disk for at least 10 minutes,
then everything is normal. Since is a windows process causing the problem I
deactivated the system restore (also because I have never used it in the
past). Nothing changed.
Can someone help me?
Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Noiano
SCSIraidGURU

Re: Vista uses the disk a lot after login

Add RAM.

Disable indexing services

--
SCSIraidGURU

Michael A. McKenney
'www.SCSIraidGURU.com' (http://www.SCSIraidGURU.com)

Supermicro X7DWA-N server board
pair of Intel E5430 quad core 2.66 GHz Xeons
16GB DDR667
SAS RAID
eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB video card
Nonny

Re: Vista uses the disk a lot after login
On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 11:16:45 -0500, SCSIraidGURU
<guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>Add RAM.
>
>Disable indexing services

Learn to freaking quote what you are replying to.
DL

Re: Vista uses the disk a lot after login
What: more than 16gb?

"SCSIraidGURU" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Add RAM.
>
> Disable indexing services
>

> --
> SCSIraidGURU
>
> Michael A. McKenney
> 'www.SCSIraidGURU.com' (http://www.SCSIraidGURU.com)
>
> Supermicro X7DWA-N server board
> pair of Intel E5430 quad core 2.66 GHz Xeons
> 16GB DDR667
> SAS RAID
> eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB video card

SCSIraidGURU

Re: Vista uses the disk a lot after login

Vista x64 Ultimate works great on my workstation. It installed in 18
minutes. It moved the paging file to E: once it was created and
formatted. I am planning on a RAID 0 three drive array for paging and
temp files in a few months. I would say 4-8GB for x64 Ultimate would be
good place to start. 0-2GB is not much for it to run in with many apps
opened.

--
SCSIraidGURU

Michael A. McKenney
'www.SCSIraidGURU.com' (http://www.SCSIraidGURU.com)

Supermicro X7DWA-N server board
pair of Intel E5430 quad core 2.66 GHz Xeons
16GB DDR667
SAS RAID
eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB video card
Sandy

Re: Vista uses the disk a lot after login
Most of the time that just wastes a lot of extra space and
bandwidth....pretty much like you usually do.....

"SCSIraidGURU" wrote:

> Add RAM.
>Disable indexing services

I have 4GB of ram an that's enough for me . As long as I know there was no
indexing running when the hard drive was intensively used. But if you think
the indexing service is guilty please tell me how to disable it.
Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Noiano

"SCSIraidGURU" wrote:

> Add RAM.
>Disable indexing services

I have 4GB of ram an that's enough for me . As long as I know there was no
indexing running when the hard drive was intensively used. But if you think
the indexing service is guilty please tell me how to disable it.
Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Nonny

Re: Vista uses the disk a lot after login
On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 00:02:01 -0700, Noiano
<Noiano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have 4GB of ram an that's enough for me . As long as I know there was no
>indexing running when the hard drive was intensively used. But if you think
>the indexing service is guilty please tell me how to disable it.

Right click the drive in Computer and check its properties. Untick
the option to index it (at the bottom).
Noiano

"Nonny" wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 00:02:01 -0700, Noiano
> <Noiano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have 4GB of ram an that's enough for me . As long as I know there was no
> >indexing running when the hard drive was intensively used. But if you think
> >the indexing service is guilty please tell me how to disable it.

> Right click the drive in Computer and check its properties. Untick
> the option to index it (at the bottom).

Thanks...I hope it helps...I also disabled a service named "startup
optimization" or something like that (my system is in italian)...do you think
it's a good choice?
As soon as I stopped it the hard disk stopped being intensively used!