Only booting up in Power Save after outage

rickyh24

Only booting up in Power Save after outage

Last night my power went out. Every time my power fails Vista will only
start up in safe mode. If I try to start it normally it just goes right
into "Power Save" mode. This has happened a handful of times, however
it is usually an easy fix. I would just go into safe mode and run system
restore and restore my system to a previous date. This however did not
work last night. I can still boot up in safe mode. All of my files are
still there. Can anyone help with this?

--
rickyh24
Malke

Re: Only booting up in Power Save after outage
rickyh24 wrote:

> Last night my power went out. Every time my power fails Vista will only
> start up in safe mode. If I try to start it normally it just goes right
> into "Power Save" mode. This has happened a handful of times, however
> it is usually an easy fix. I would just go into safe mode and run system
> restore and restore my system to a previous date. This however did not
> work last night. I can still boot up in safe mode. All of my files are
> still there. Can anyone help with this?

1. Back up your files onto external media such as an external hard drive or
USB thumbdrive, depending on how much data you've got.

2. Do a Repair Install:

Repair Vista - http://vistasupport.mvps.org/windows...ir_options.htm

Repair A Vista Installation Using The Upgrade Option Of The Vista DVD -
http://tinyurl.com/3b7yrj

Repair Windows Vista using Startup Repair -
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...utorial148.htm
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...all-vista.html

For people who only have a restore image - Windows Vista Recovery Disc
Download:
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/

3. Purchase an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS). If you only have the one
computer, I like the Belkin 550s. In any case, you'll pay around $60 for a
good UPS. A power strip - even if it is called a "surge protector - is not
the same thing and is pretty useless for anything except giving you a few
more outlets.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
mikeyhsd

Re: Only booting up in Power Save after outage
after you get your system running again, it would be a good idea to get a UPS system to protect it during power outages.

mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com

"rickyh24" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message news:d6c4df8ad2059aca07ccfaf55f09d16b@nntp-gateway.com...

Last night my power went out. Every time my power fails Vista will only
start up in safe mode. If I try to start it normally it just goes right
into "Power Save" mode. This has happened a handful of times, however
it is usually an easy fix. I would just go into safe mode and run system
restore and restore my system to a previous date. This however did not
work last night. I can still boot up in safe mode. All of my files are
still there. Can anyone help with this?

--
rickyh24
rickyh24

Re: Only booting up in Power Save after outage

I couldn't get the system repair to work. I decided start from scratch
but I am getting this message when I try to re install vista.

"unable to find system volume that meets criteria"

I formatted the partition and it still wont work. So now my PC is
pretty much useless all of my stuff is on an external. What should I do
now?

rickyh24 wrote:

> I couldn't get the system repair to work. I decided start from scratch
> but I am getting this message when I try to re install vista.
>
> "unable to find system volume that meets criteria"
>
> I formatted the partition and it still wont work. So now my PC is
> pretty much useless all of my stuff is on an external. What should I do
> now?

I think you're leaving out a lot of information that might enable us to help
you. Such as:

1. Description of computer - OEM (HP, Dell, etc.) or
home-built/generic-built?

1a. Desktop/laptop? How many hard drives?

2. Description of Vista (including version) - upgrade from XP that you did
yourself, came preinstalled, etc.?

Malke