Vista 32 bit and 8gig ram

d0nd3r

Vista 32 bit and 8gig ram

Hello all,

I just bought me a new PC with 8 gig ram, and using Vista Ultimate 32
bit.

There is a problem, cause it only shows me 3gig ... is there a way to
boost this up ?

I have seen on a forum, that someone putted a change on his msconfig,
but were can i find this trick, step to step.

Greetings don.

--
d0nd3r
d0od

Re: Vista 32 bit and 8gig ram

if you want to be able to "use" the full 8gig you need to have a 64bit
version of VIsta, as 32 bit can only use around 3.5gb max,

--
d0od

tech news, view and reviews.
'*www.d0od.blogspot.com*' (http://www.d0od.blogspot.com)

"I'm sick of smiling... and so is my jaw..."
d0nd3r

Re: Vista 32 bit and 8gig ram

yeah had seen that

I found something to "boost it a bit, but its really a problem for the
system.
It will be unstable, so i know what to do.

Hmm well 64 bit is a problem, cause lots of game are 32 bit.

I love to play games, so ill have to wait till they ganna make game for
64 bit.

Greetings d0n

--
d0nd3r
d0od

Re: Vista 32 bit and 8gig ram

d0nd3r;737347 Wrote:
> yeah had seen that
>
> I found something to "boost it a bit, but its really a problem for the
> system.
> It will be unstable, so i know what to do.
>
> Hmm well 64 bit is a problem, cause lots of game are 32 bit.
>
> I love to play games, so ill have to wait till they ganna make game for
> 64 bit.
>
> Greetings d0n

you could always dual boot with vista 64 as well, if you use anything
that would take advantage of the whole 8gigs - video editing, photoshop
etc

--
d0od

tech news, view and reviews.
'*www.d0od.blogspot.com*' (http://www.d0od.blogspot.com)

"I'm sick of smiling... and so is my jaw..."
Paul Smith

Re: Vista 32 bit and 8gig ram
"d0nd3r" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> yeah had seen that
>
> I found something to "boost it a bit, but its really a problem for the
> system.
> It will be unstable, so i know what to do.
>
> Hmm well 64 bit is a problem, cause lots of game are 32 bit.
>
> I love to play games, so ill have to wait till they ganna make game for
> 64 bit.

64-bit Windows is compatible with 32-bit applications.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

John Barnett MVP

Re: Vista 32 bit and 8gig ram
You need the 64 Bit version of Windows to utilise anything over 4GB RAM. The
32 Bit windows Vista can only use a maximum of 4GB and then, in most cases,
it will only register 3.5GB

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

> Hello all,
>
> I just bought me a new PC with 8 gig ram, and using Vista Ultimate 32
> bit.
>
> There is a problem, cause it only shows me 3gig ... is there a way to
> boost this up ?
>
> I have seen on a forum, that someone putted a change on his msconfig,
> but were can i find this trick, step to step.
>
> Greetings don.
>

> --
> d0nd3r

Brian C

Re: Vista 32 bit and 8gig ram
> Hmm well 64 bit is a problem, cause lots of game are 32 bit.

All my 32-bit applications (including games) work fine on my 64-bit Vista
Ultimate.

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Vista 32 bit and 8gig ram
On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 06:17:31 -0500, d0nd3r <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I just bought me a new PC with 8 gig ram, and using Vista Ultimate 32
> bit.
>
> There is a problem, cause it only shows me 3gig ... is there a way to
> boost this up ?
>
> I have seen on a forum, that someone putted a change on his msconfig,
> but were can i find this trick, step to step.

Sorry to say that you wasted your money. All 32-bit client versions of
Windows (not just Vista) have a 4GB address space. That's the
theoretical upper limit beyond which you can not go.

But you can't use the entire 4GB of address space. Even though you
have a 4GB address space, you can only use *around* 3.1GB of RAM.
That's because some of that space is used by hardware and is not
available to the operating system and applications. The amount you can
use varies, depending on what hardware you have installed, but can
range from as little as 2GB to as much as 3.5GB. It's usually around
3.1GB.

Note that the hardware is using the address *space*, not the actual
RAM itself. The rest of the RAM goes unused because there is no
address space to map it too.

By the way, what makes you think that having that much RAM would do
anything for you anyway? How much RAM you need for good performance is
*not* a one-size-fits-all situation. You get good performance if the
amount of RAM you have keeps you from using the page file, and that
depends on what apps you run. Most people running a typical range of
business applications under Vista find that somewhere around 2GB works
well, others need a little more. Some people, particularly those doing
things like editing large photographic images, can see a performance
boost by adding even more than 2GB, but more than 2-3GB is a waste for
most people.

If you have a 64-bit processor, and you changed to 64-bit Vista, it
would see all your RAM, but my guess is that you would still see no
improvement in performance.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Ian D

Re: Vista 32 bit and 8gig ram

"Brian C" <notavalidemail@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:RridnYF5SIY2jdXVnZ2dnUVZ_sednZ2d@giganews.com ...
>> Hmm well 64 bit is a problem, cause lots of game are 32 bit.

> All my 32-bit applications (including games) work fine on my 64-bit Vista
> Ultimate.

Vista 64 Bit also works with DOS apps and games if you use DosBox.

C.B.

Re: Vista 32 bit and 8gig ram

"Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 06:17:31 -0500, d0nd3r <guest@unknown-email.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Hello all,
>>
>> I just bought me a new PC with 8 gig ram, and using Vista Ultimate 32
>> bit.
>>
>> There is a problem, cause it only shows me 3gig ... is there a way to
>> boost this up ?
>>
>> I have seen on a forum, that someone putted a change on his msconfig,
>> but were can i find this trick, step to step.

> Sorry to say that you wasted your money. All 32-bit client versions of
> Windows (not just Vista) have a 4GB address space. That's the
> theoretical upper limit beyond which you can not go.
>
> But you can't use the entire 4GB of address space. Even though you
> have a 4GB address space, you can only use *around* 3.1GB of RAM.
> That's because some of that space is used by hardware and is not
> available to the operating system and applications. The amount you can
> use varies, depending on what hardware you have installed, but can
> range from as little as 2GB to as much as 3.5GB. It's usually around
> 3.1GB.
>
> Note that the hardware is using the address *space*, not the actual
> RAM itself. The rest of the RAM goes unused because there is no
> address space to map it too.
>
> By the way, what makes you think that having that much RAM would do
> anything for you anyway? How much RAM you need for good performance is
> *not* a one-size-fits-all situation. You get good performance if the
> amount of RAM you have keeps you from using the page file, and that
> depends on what apps you run. Most people running a typical range of
> business applications under Vista find that somewhere around 2GB works
> well, others need a little more. Some people, particularly those doing
> things like editing large photographic images, can see a performance
> boost by adding even more than 2GB, but more than 2-3GB is a waste for
> most people.
>
> If you have a 64-bit processor, and you changed to 64-bit Vista, it
> would see all your RAM, but my guess is that you would still see no
> improvement in performance.
>

> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

I was wondering when someone would mention that he needed a 64-bit
processor. I was just about to ask the OP when I came to the last post in
the thread, which was yours.

C.B.

--
It is the responsibility and duty of everyone to help the underprivileged
and unfortunate among us.