Dare not restart PC!

IANV

Dare not restart PC!
A failed application installation (PCPitstop Optimize2 - but they say they've
never heard of my problem) sent my Home Premium PC into chaos. Then a spiral
of attempted repairs led to serious startup failures, with Startup Repair
launching each time. Eventually I seemed to find a Restore Point which worked
well enough to reinstall and update my Bullguard security suite and online
data backups, and my SpySweeper antispyware protection. I could also get into
Safemode again - but only by setting this in System Configuration - not with
F8 presses. (In fact on the initial boot-up screens, if I do get to options
pages at all the up/down arrows don't work and I always have to accept the
default option anyway.)

But after about a week of OK operation that included various restarts the
startup failure problem has returned - requiring one or more restores to get
started at all. I now dare not heed the Microsoft nag messages about
restarting (so as to complete the repeated updates installations that the
restores have removed).

Also one unanswered post to a forum cited another problem that I now find I
have too - that while the nags remain active, burning data to a backup CD
fails to complete and the drive freezes...

Can someone help urgently?
--
Cheers,
IanV
Mick Murphy

RE: Dare not restart PC!
Buy a Flash Drive, and copy your Data to that

Formatt, then reinstall, and install Security listed below.

Vista’s Firewall works very well.

Avast Anti-Virus is Vista compatible (32bit and 64bit Versions), FREE,
auto-updating, and a low resources user of your computer.
And, only have 1(one) Anti-Virus installed / running on your computer at any
one time..
Conflicts may occur if you have more than 1(one).

http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html

Spybot Search & Destroy 1.5.2 is a very good, FREE Anti-Spyware Program.
Download, install, update, and immunize your System with it.
Then SCAN with it.
Update it, and scan your System once a fortnight.

SpywareBlaster 4.0 is a non-intrusive, FREE Anti-Spyware Program that runs
in the background (no scanning by you!).
Update it once a fortnight, and let it do its work in the background!

-
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"IANV" wrote:

> A failed application installation (PCPitstop Optimize2 - but they say they've
> never heard of my problem) sent my Home Premium PC into chaos. Then a spiral
> of attempted repairs led to serious startup failures, with Startup Repair
> launching each time. Eventually I seemed to find a Restore Point which worked
> well enough to reinstall and update my Bullguard security suite and online
> data backups, and my SpySweeper antispyware protection. I could also get into
> Safemode again - but only by setting this in System Configuration - not with
> F8 presses. (In fact on the initial boot-up screens, if I do get to options
> pages at all the up/down arrows don't work and I always have to accept the
> default option anyway.)
>
> But after about a week of OK operation that included various restarts the
> startup failure problem has returned - requiring one or more restores to get
> started at all. I now dare not heed the Microsoft nag messages about
> restarting (so as to complete the repeated updates installations that the
> restores have removed).
>
> Also one unanswered post to a forum cited another problem that I now find I
> have too - that while the nags remain active, burning data to a backup CD
> fails to complete and the drive freezes...
>
> Can someone help urgently?
> --
> Cheers,
> IanV

IANV

RE: Dare not restart PC!
Thanks, but I want to understand the problem, and to avoid a reinstall if at
all possible. (The last time I did one - with Windows ME on an old PC - I
ended up with worse problems than before.)
Are you blaming it on Bullguard, or on SpySweeper? (If not, I'd rather trust
the security I'm used to using.)
I was hoping someone could suggest a diagnosis and specific remedies?
--
Cheers,
IanV

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Buy a Flash Drive, and copy your Data to that
>
> Formatt, then reinstall, and install Security listed below.
>
> Vista’s Firewall works very well.

> Avast Anti-Virus is Vista compatible (32bit and 64bit Versions), FREE,
> auto-updating, and a low resources user of your computer.
> And, only have 1(one) Anti-Virus installed / running on your computer at any
> one time..
> Conflicts may occur if you have more than 1(one).
>
> http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html
>
> Spybot Search & Destroy 1.5.2 is a very good, FREE Anti-Spyware Program.
> Download, install, update, and immunize your System with it.
> Then SCAN with it.
> Update it, and scan your System once a fortnight.

> SpywareBlaster 4.0 is a non-intrusive, FREE Anti-Spyware Program that runs
> in the background (no scanning by you!).
> Update it once a fortnight, and let it do its work in the background!
>
> -
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>

> "IANV" wrote:
>
> > A failed application installation (PCPitstop Optimize2 - but they say they've
> > never heard of my problem) sent my Home Premium PC into chaos. Then a spiral
> > of attempted repairs led to serious startup failures, with Startup Repair
> > launching each time. Eventually I seemed to find a Restore Point which worked
> > well enough to reinstall and update my Bullguard security suite and online
> > data backups, and my SpySweeper antispyware protection. I could also get into
> > Safemode again - but only by setting this in System Configuration - not with
> > F8 presses. (In fact on the initial boot-up screens, if I do get to options
> > pages at all the up/down arrows don't work and I always have to accept the
> > default option anyway.)
> >
> > But after about a week of OK operation that included various restarts the
> > startup failure problem has returned - requiring one or more restores to get
> > started at all. I now dare not heed the Microsoft nag messages about
> > restarting (so as to complete the repeated updates installations that the
> > restores have removed).
> >
> > Also one unanswered post to a forum cited another problem that I now find I
> > have too - that while the nags remain active, burning data to a backup CD
> > fails to complete and the drive freezes...
> >
> > Can someone help urgently?
> > --
> > Cheers,
> > IanV

tanuj_chadha

Re: Dare not restart PC!

seems like you have some software conflict on your system. Try to work
on the system without installing any new softwares for some time to
check if there is something wrong in windows or the software you are
trying to install is causing the issue. (I am not trying to blame
anything over here but you can use it as a diagnostic step).

Hope it helps !

--
tanuj_chadha
DL

Re: Dare not restart PC!
You installed a 'snake oil' product on your PC, and this installation went
wrong, who knows what it did to the system. Obviously you have been unable
to repair or restore the PC to a date prior to this installtion.
Backup your data, clean reinstall Vista, and keep away from products that
claim to optimize / scan / repair

"IANV" <IANV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> > options
>> > pages at all the up/down arrows don't work and I always have to accept
>> > the
>> > default option anyway.)
>> >
>> > But after about a week of OK operation that included various restarts
>> > the
>> > startup failure problem has returned - requiring one or more restores
>> > to get
>> > started at all. I now dare not heed the Microsoft nag messages about
>> > restarting (so as to complete the repeated updates installations that
>> > the
>> > restores have removed).
>> >
>> > Also one unanswered post to a forum cited another problem that I now
>> > find I
>> > have too - that while the nags remain active, burning data to a backup
>> > CD
>> > fails to complete and the drive freezes...

Bruce Chambers

Re: Dare not restart PC!
IANV wrote:
> A failed application installation (PCPitstop Optimize2 - but they say they've
> never heard of my problem) sent my Home Premium PC into chaos. Then a spiral
> of attempted repairs led to serious startup failures, with Startup Repair
> launching each time. Eventually I seemed to find a Restore Point which worked
> well enough to reinstall and update my Bullguard security suite and online
> data backups, and my SpySweeper antispyware protection. I could also get into
> Safemode again - but only by setting this in System Configuration - not with
> F8 presses. (In fact on the initial boot-up screens, if I do get to options
> pages at all the up/down arrows don't work and I always have to accept the
> default option anyway.)
>
> But after about a week of OK operation that included various restarts the
> startup failure problem has returned - requiring one or more restores to get
> started at all. I now dare not heed the Microsoft nag messages about
> restarting (so as to complete the repeated updates installations that the
> restores have removed).
>
> Also one unanswered post to a forum cited another problem that I now find I
> have too - that while the nags remain active, burning data to a backup CD
> fails to complete and the drive freezes...
>
> Can someone help urgently?

Back up your data, format the hard drive, and perform a clean
installation. *DO NOT* install any snake-oil products like PCPitStop
unless you enjoy repeating this process.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Bruce Chambers

Re: Dare not restart PC!
IANV wrote:
> Thanks, but I want to understand the problem, and to avoid a reinstall if at
> all possible. (The last time I did one - with Windows ME on an old PC - I
> ended up with worse problems than before.)
> Are you blaming it on Bullguard, or on SpySweeper? (If not, I'd rather trust
> the security I'm used to using.)

No, it was almost certainly the PCPitStop crapware that has caused your
problems.

> I was hoping someone could suggest a diagnosis and specific remedies?

Been done. The only certain way to undo PCPitStop's damage is to start
fresh.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
tanuj_chadha

Re: Dare not restart PC!

Thats right, never go on the products that claim to be highly reliable.
What happened with your earlier version of windows is history now !. Try
to reinstall the whole thing & work without installing the softwares you
did which may have caused the whole issue in the first place.

--
tanuj_chadha
IANV

Re: Dare not restart PC!
OK, thanks to all who have said I've no choice but to start the major
operation of reinstalling everything! It's setting up internet connections
and security stuff again that makes that process so traumatic and
time-consuming for a non-tecchy...

But if things like PC Pitstop Optimize are so deadly (despite the apparently
large numbers of user testimonials), I'm pretty miffed that they get
recommended by pretty reputable security outfits like Computer Associates. In
fact - although perhaps significantly I cannot find it on the PCP site any
more - I was sure that when I bought Optimize there was one of those
Microsoft logos on the page, not specifically recommending it, but saying PCP
was some sort of approved partner?
--
Cheers,
IanV