Vista System Restore failure

blanco

Vista System Restore failure
Q1: Since using Windows Defrag tool many of the installed programs fail to
show up
in the Program and Features list. Only 6 of about 60 progs are listed but
the missing
progs are still showing in Program Files and Start Menu. All are working
o.k. but
this will create a future Uninstall problem in some cases. Any ideas ?
I have tried a System Restore for 3 different restore points but all 3 have
failed
giving the message following computer Restart:
"Restore did not complete successfully - System filoes and settings were not
changed". Also: " An unspecified error occurred during System Restore - try a
different restore point".
Knowing how important the Restore feature is I am worried about the
consequences
if I get a major ptoblem in future and am unable to Restore. Any Suggestions ?
It appears tha Windows Defrag caused both problems. blanco.

t-4-2

Re: Vista System Restore failure

blanco;736383 Wrote:
> Q1: Since using Windows Defrag tool many of the installed programs fail
> show up
> in the Program and Features list. Only 6 of about 60 progs are listed
> but
> the missing
> progs are still showing in Program Files and Start Menu. All are
> working
> o.k. but
> this will create a future Uninstall problem in some cases. Any ideas ?
> I have tried a System Restore for 3 different restore points but all 3
> have
> failed
> giving the message following computer Restart:
> "Restore did not complete successfully - System filoes and settings
> were not
> changed". Also: " An unspecified error occurred during System Restore -
> try a
> different restore point".
> Knowing how important the Restore feature is I am worried about the
> consequences
> if I get a major ptoblem in future and am unable to Restore. Any
> Suggestions ?
> It appears tha Windows Defrag caused both problems. blanco.

Hello blanco,
Try to do system restore in Safe mode. See if it works.

--
t-4-2
Mick Murphy

RE: Vista System Restore failure
If using Norton, disable it before using System Restore.
It interferes with SR.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia