computer deletes files whenever it is logged off or shut down

Zack

computer deletes files whenever it is logged off or shut down
Hi our computer has Windows Vista on it, and its pretty new. Whenever it is
shut down, restarted, or logged off, every single file on the computer is
gone when logged back in, everything on our computer is gone. Any help would
be greatly appreciated!
thanks
Nonny

Re: computer deletes files whenever it is logged off or shut down
On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 20:41:01 -0700, Zack
<Zack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi our computer has Windows Vista on it, and its pretty new. Whenever it is
>shut down, restarted, or logged off, every single file on the computer is
>gone when logged back in, everything on our computer is gone.

Impossible. If that were true, Windows wouldn't even load.

I think you need to provide more information.

What is "pretty new"?

What is "every single file"?
Zack

"Nonny" wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 20:41:01 -0700, Zack
> <Zack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi our computer has Windows Vista on it, and its pretty new. Whenever it is
> >shut down, restarted, or logged off, every single file on the computer is
> >gone when logged back in, everything on our computer is gone.

> Impossible. If that were true, Windows wouldn't even load.
>
> I think you need to provide more information.
>
> What is "pretty new"?
>
> What is "every single file"?

We've had it for about 4 months, and it deleted every file that we have
saved on it, keeps the default files.
Zack

"Nonny" wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 20:41:01 -0700, Zack
> <Zack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi our computer has Windows Vista on it, and its pretty new. Whenever it is
> >shut down, restarted, or logged off, every single file on the computer is
> >gone when logged back in, everything on our computer is gone.

> Impossible. If that were true, Windows wouldn't even load.
>
> I think you need to provide more information.
>
> What is "pretty new"?
>
> What is "every single file"?

Zack

"Zack" wrote:

> "Nonny" wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 20:41:01 -0700, Zack
> > <Zack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Hi our computer has Windows Vista on it, and its pretty new. Whenever it is
> > >shut down, restarted, or logged off, every single file on the computer is
> > >gone when logged back in, everything on our computer is gone.

> > Impossible. If that were true, Windows wouldn't even load.
> >
> > I think you need to provide more information.
> >
> > What is "pretty new"?
> >
> > What is "every single file"?
> >

> We've had it for about 4 months, and it deleted every file that we have
> saved on it, keeps the default files.

I just logged on and then off and it said it couldnt log onto the normal
account and its on a temporary account. I think that's the problem, any idea
how to troubleshoot that?
Malke

Zack wrote:

> I just logged on and then off and it said it couldnt log onto the normal
> account and its on a temporary account. I think that's the problem, any
> idea how to troubleshoot that?

The original user account is corrupt. Create a new user account and copy the
data from the old account over to it. Since you're using Vista, make sure
the new account for daily work is a Standard user account. Create at least
one extra user account with Administrative privileges but don't use this
for your regular work.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
Zack

"Malke" wrote:
The original user account is corrupt. Create a new user account and copy the
> data from the old account over to it. Since you're using Vista, make sure
> the new account for daily work is a Standard user account. Create at least
> one extra user account with Administrative privileges but don't use this
> for your regular work.
>
>Okay thank you very much, it wont let me copy the files over though... it wont let me on

Malke

Zack wrote:

> "Malke" wrote:
> The original user account is corrupt. Create a new user account and copy
> the
>> data from the old account over to it. Since you're using Vista, make sure
>> the new account for daily work is a Standard user account. Create at
>> least one extra user account with Administrative privileges but don't use
>> this for your regular work.
>>
>>Okay thank you very much, it wont let me copy the files over though... it
>>wont let me on

You don't copy the files from within the corrupted profile! Log onto another
profile, create the new one from there, log onto the new profile, copy the
data using Windows Explorer.

If you really can't figure this out, perhaps taking the machine to a local
professional would be a better choice for you. There is no shame in doing
this. Just don't use a BigComputerStore/GeekSquad type of place as you
generally won't get good service there.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Don't Panic!
t-4-2

Malke;738443 Wrote:
> Zack wrote:
> > > >

> > > "Malke" wrote:
> > > The original user account is corrupt. Create a new user account and

> > copy
> > > the> > > > >
> > > sure
> > > don't use

> > > though... it

> You don't copy the files from within the corrupted profile! Log onto
> another
> profile, create the new one from there, log onto the new profile,
> copy the
> data using Windows Explorer.
>
> If you really can't figure this out, perhaps taking the machine to a
> local
> professional would be a better choice for you. There is no shame in
> doing
> this. Just don't use a BigComputerStore/GeekSquad type of place as
> you
> generally won't get good service there.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers
> 'www.elephantboycomputers.com' (http://www.elephantboycomputers.com)
> Don't Panic!

Forgive me for barging in, Malke. I think Zack was unable to log on to
his account. He was let in on temporary account only.

--
t-4-2
Malke

t-4-2 wrote:

> Forgive me for barging in, Malke. I think Zack was unable to log on to
> his account. He was let in on temporary account only.

You're not barging in by pointing out something I've missed! On the
contrary, I appreciate it. If he really only has the one user account then
he'll have to try and get into the built-in Administrator account which is
normally disabled in Vista. This is exactly why I always make a couple of
extra administrative user accounts in Vista (which hopefully will never be
used) and do daily work from a Standard account. I guess we'll have to wait
for Zack's clarification.

Malke