Vista Boot slow

d0od

Vista Boot slow

Vista used to boot up very quickly. Now it spends ages on the page with
the "loading" bar. Is it performing some sort of CHKDSK during this
time?

I only have sidebar and rocket dock starting up, and it's fast again
when it gets to the desktop, it's just that loading bit takes quite an
ages, and it didn't used to.

Virus/spyware/malware free.

Any thoughts? How do i find out if it's doing some sort of chkdsk at
boot?

Cheers!

--
d0od

tech news, view and reviews.
'*www.d0od.blogspot.com*' (http://www.d0od.blogspot.com)

"I'm sick of smiling... and so is my jaw..."
simon42

RE: Vista Boot slow

"d0od" wrote:

> Vista used to boot up very quickly. Now it spends ages on the page with
> the "loading" bar. Is it performing some sort of CHKDSK during this
> time?
>
> I only have sidebar and rocket dock starting up, and it's fast again
> when it gets to the desktop, it's just that loading bit takes quite an
> ages, and it didn't used to.
>
> Virus/spyware/malware free.
>
> Any thoughts? How do i find out if it's doing some sort of chkdsk at
> boot?
>
> Cheers!
>

> --
> d0od
>
> tech news, view and reviews.
> '*www.d0od.blogspot.com*' (http://www.d0od.blogspot.com)
>
> "I'm sick of smiling... and so is my jaw..."

> i don't know if you have got the same problem as i recently had but my vista became incredibly slow.

tried everything to track down problem (including posting on this site).
eventually performance analyser in system pointed towards progarams.
go into control panel>programs>start up programs.
once in windows defender if you find yourself in the same position as i did
you may well find as many as 20 different programs 'enabled' and apaarently
all starting up when the computer. 'disable' a few of them!
My vista has never worked quicker.
Is this an inherent fault with vista that it sets programs to auto-start up
as a default?

d0od

Re: Vista Boot slow

> tried everything to track down problem (including posting on this site).
> eventually performance analyser in system pointed towards progarams.
> go into control panel>programs>start up programs.
> once in windows defender if you find yourself in the same position as i
> did
> you may well find as many as 20 different programs 'enabled' and
> apaarently
> all starting up when the computer. 'disable' a few of them!
> My vista has never worked quicker.
> Is this an inherent fault with vista that it sets programs to
> auto-start up
> as a default?

Like i said, i only have two things with start up - sidebar and
rocketdock. It's more to do with the loading screen, as once it gets
past that it's fine and quick.

--
d0od

tech news, view and reviews.
'*www.d0od.blogspot.com*' (http://www.d0od.blogspot.com)

"I'm sick of smiling... and so is my jaw..."
Mick Murphy

RE: Vista Boot slow
The only reason they auto-start is if you have installed your 3rd party
programs without unchecking "run at startup", lol.
READ before you CLICK!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"simon42" wrote:

> "d0od" wrote:
>

> > Vista used to boot up very quickly. Now it spends ages on the page with
> > the "loading" bar. Is it performing some sort of CHKDSK during this
> > time?
> >
> > I only have sidebar and rocket dock starting up, and it's fast again
> > when it gets to the desktop, it's just that loading bit takes quite an
> > ages, and it didn't used to.
> >
> > Virus/spyware/malware free.
> >
> > Any thoughts? How do i find out if it's doing some sort of chkdsk at
> > boot?
> >
> > Cheers!
> >

> > --
> > d0od
> >
> > tech news, view and reviews.
> > '*www.d0od.blogspot.com*' (http://www.d0od.blogspot.com)
> >
> > "I'm sick of smiling... and so is my jaw..."

> > i don't know if you have got the same problem as i recently had but my vista became incredibly slow.

> tried everything to track down problem (including posting on this site).
> eventually performance analyser in system pointed towards progarams.
> go into control panel>programs>start up programs.
> once in windows defender if you find yourself in the same position as i did
> you may well find as many as 20 different programs 'enabled' and apaarently
> all starting up when the computer. 'disable' a few of them!
> My vista has never worked quicker.
> Is this an inherent fault with vista that it sets programs to auto-start up
> as a default?

d0od

Re: Vista Boot slow

Mick Murphy;735598 Wrote:
> The only reason they auto-start is if you have installed your 3rd party
> programs without unchecking "run at startup", lol.
> READ before you CLICK!
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

> > > with

> > > again
> > > an

> > > at

> > > ('FYIDYK!' (http://www.d0od.blogspot.com))

> > > my vista became incredibly slow.> > > > > tried everything to track down problem (including posting on this

> > site).
> > > eventually performance analyser in system pointed towards

> > progarams.
> > > go into control panel>programs>start up programs.
> > > once in windows defender if you find yourself in the same

> > position as i did
> > > you may well find as many as 20 different programs 'enabled' and

> > apaarently
> > > all starting up when the computer. 'disable' a few of them!
> > > My vista has never worked quicker.
> > > Is this an inherent fault with vista that it sets programs to

> > auto-start up
> > > as a default?

Geeez! Does noone read the whole post?! I have already said twice now
that it's nothing to do with start-up entries! Nothing starts up except
Sidebar and rocketdock! Arrgh!

It's the "loading" screen that takes ages......

--
d0od

tech news, view and reviews.
'*www.d0od.blogspot.com*' (http://www.d0od.blogspot.com)

"I'm sick of smiling... and so is my jaw..."
robotman5

Re: Vista Boot slow

are u sure u dont have any Viruses?

--
robotman5
Nonny

Re: Vista Boot slow
On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 16:27:48 -0500, robotman5 <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

>are u sure u dont have any Viruses?

<plonking another Vista Forums nitwit>
mikeyhsd

Re: Vista Boot slow
are you doing a network resource search.

also have you checked the event logs for startup delay information.

mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 09:25:56 -0500, d0od <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

>how do i check the event logs for start up delays?

Do you know how to find the event logs? (they're in Administrative
Tools). Look in each one of them for signs of problems. You'll know
if there are any. The icons for trouble are obvious.