Backing up individual folders and EXE files?

Alert101

Backing up individual folders and EXE files?
I'm using Backup & Restore in Vista Home Premium x64 for easy backups. There
are however a couple issues with it.

First, is it possible to make Vista backup only individual folders?

Second, I have Backup & Restore set to making daily incremental backups of
all files (that can be selected in the wizard) on my C drive. Thing is, I
have folders with applications in the root of C. E.g. C:\Prog1, C:\Prog2,
etc... I had to retrieve backups a while back. You can only guess when all
other files where restored except the .exe files in C:\Prog1, C:\Prog2 and so
on. After reading around a bit I found out that B&R doesn't backup executable
files. Any way to get around this?

Malke

Re: Backing up individual folders and EXE files?
Alert101 wrote:

> I'm using Backup & Restore in Vista Home Premium x64 for easy backups.
> There are however a couple issues with it.
>
> First, is it possible to make Vista backup only individual folders?
>
> Second, I have Backup & Restore set to making daily incremental backups of
> all files (that can be selected in the wizard) on my C drive. Thing is, I
> have folders with applications in the root of C. E.g. C:\Prog1, C:\Prog2,
> etc... I had to retrieve backups a while back. You can only guess when all
> other files where restored except the .exe files in C:\Prog1, C:\Prog2 and
> so on. After reading around a bit I found out that B&R doesn't backup
> executable files. Any way to get around this?

The built-in Vista backup program is, as you've discovered, not very
flexible. I suggest you use a different program. For simple backing up, I
like Second Copy from www.centered.com. It is inexpensive ($29.95), will
copied whatever you want to wherever you want, and does not put the copied
files into a proprietary format. You would need to check to make sure it
works on x64.

Another great backup solution is to purchase Acronis True Image. The program
can image your files and do incremental backups. I'm sure TI works on x64.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
Nonny

Re: Backing up individual folders and EXE files?
On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 05:16:02 -0700, Malke <malke@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>Alert101 wrote:
>
>> I'm using Backup & Restore in Vista Home Premium x64 for easy backups.
>> There are however a couple issues with it.
>>
>> First, is it possible to make Vista backup only individual folders?
>>
>> Second, I have Backup & Restore set to making daily incremental backups of
>> all files (that can be selected in the wizard) on my C drive. Thing is, I
>> have folders with applications in the root of C. E.g. C:\Prog1, C:\Prog2,
>> etc... I had to retrieve backups a while back. You can only guess when all
>> other files where restored except the .exe files in C:\Prog1, C:\Prog2 and
>> so on. After reading around a bit I found out that B&R doesn't backup
>> executable files. Any way to get around this?

>The built-in Vista backup program is, as you've discovered, not very
>flexible. I suggest you use a different program. For simple backing up, I
>like Second Copy from www.centered.com. It is inexpensive ($29.95), will
>copied whatever you want to wherever you want, and does not put the copied
>files into a proprietary format. You would need to check to make sure it
>works on x64.
>
>Another great backup solution is to purchase Acronis True Image. The program
>can image your files and do incremental backups. I'm sure TI works on x64.

It can also backup any files/directories you choose... and it costs $5
less than Second Copy (I'm a long-time Second Copy user) at Newegg.
Gordon

"Alert101" <Alert101@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm using Backup & Restore in Vista Home Premium x64 for easy backups.
> There
> are however a couple issues with it.
>
> First, is it possible to make Vista backup only individual folders?
>
> Second, I have Backup & Restore set to making daily incremental backups of
> all files (that can be selected in the wizard) on my C drive. Thing is, I
> have folders with applications in the root of C. E.g. C:\Prog1, C:\Prog2,
> etc... I had to retrieve backups a while back. You can only guess when all
> other files where restored except the .exe files in C:\Prog1, C:\Prog2 and
> so
> on. After reading around a bit I found out that B&R doesn't backup
> executable
> files. Any way to get around this?

If your "exe" file is an executable that you installed, then there is no
point in backing it up anyway, because if you have to restore your HDD, then
all applications have to be re-installed to make the entries in the
registry.

Use a disk imaging program such as Acronis Trueimage if you want to restore
all your applications as well...

DL

Re: Backing up individual folders and EXE files?
If you want to backup Program files folders, using a backup app wont help
you restore them.
You would need an Imaging application, as Malke says, Acronis True Image