d drive is full

generalblue

d drive is full
my recovery d drive is full.what files Should be on this drive...what is safe
to delete. I'm sure I have been using that as a backup, which I have learned
is not the thing to do!Please respond in terms a computer "dummy" can
understand.I have file folders now under Dell,Windows,Program
files,Sources,Tools, Users and MediaID.bin. What exactly is needed on this
drive?
bad_the_ba

Re: d drive is full

Hmmm as far as I knew, Dell was still shipping recovery CDs or DVDs with
their computers and not going with recovery partitions, unlike
HP/Compaq, Acer, and many others. Are you sure it is a recovery
partition, or is it just a secondary storage partition? Often recovery
partitions are hidden, so without hidden files and folders visible, you
wouldn't see them in My Computer.
Many laptop manufacturers partition the main drive into 2 larger
partitions, and the reasons vary. Acer in particular includes software
that saves snapshots of user profiles and settings to drive D. It would
not be uncommon for it to just be partition 2 and have no recovery
function or files on that partition. Verify that you have recovery media
in the form of CDs or DVDs. If you do, I'd question it.

--
bad_the_ba
Mick Murphy

Re: d drive is full
Dell has been "going" with Recovery Partitions for ages!!!!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"bad_the_ba" wrote:

> Hmmm as far as I knew, Dell was still shipping recovery CDs or DVDs with
> their computers and not going with recovery partitions, unlike
> HP/Compaq, Acer, and many others. Are you sure it is a recovery
> partition, or is it just a secondary storage partition? Often recovery
> partitions are hidden, so without hidden files and folders visible, you
> wouldn't see them in My Computer.
> Many laptop manufacturers partition the main drive into 2 larger
> partitions, and the reasons vary. Acer in particular includes software
> that saves snapshots of user profiles and settings to drive D. It would
> not be uncommon for it to just be partition 2 and have no recovery
> function or files on that partition. Verify that you have recovery media
> in the form of CDs or DVDs. If you do, I'd question it.
>

> --
> bad_the_ba

Mick Murphy

RE: d drive is full
D: is the Recovery Partition to put your computer back to factory standards,
and for you to make Recovery disks from!!!

Contact Dell about buying Recovery DVDs and/or fixing your Recovery Partition.
They know exactly which files should be there, and which ones for you to
delete!

In future, buy an external Drive, and back up to that!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia