Backing up files on XP Home Edition

Blair

Backing up files on XP Home Edition
Hi,
I have a portable USB hard drive. I have it installed and configured, but I
can not find how I actually back up my files. The only help I can find on the
Windows help site is for Vista. Can anyone help?

Thanks so much,
Blair
Nonny

Re: Backing up files on XP Home Edition
On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 12:33:00 -0700, Blair
<Blair@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>I have a portable USB hard drive. I have it installed and configured, but I
>can not find how I actually back up my files. The only help I can find on the
>Windows help site is for Vista. Can anyone help?

You could have helped yourself. I Googled "how tocreate full backups
with vista" and this is what I got:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/5z8pko

>Thanks so much,
>Blair

Malke

Blair wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a portable USB hard drive. I have it installed and configured, but
> I can not find how I actually back up my files. The only help I can find
> on the Windows help site is for Vista. Can anyone help?

You're posting in a Vista newsgroup. Next time questions about XP should go
in an XP newsgroup like microsoft.public.windowsxp.general.

While you can use the old NTBackup program that comes with XP (if you don't
see it installed, it's in the Value Added folder on the CD), it really
isn't very flexible since it was originally designed for NT and tape
backups. I prefer these programs:

1. Second Copy (www.centered.com) is an excellent, reasonably priced
($29.95) program that does exactly what it says: it copies whatever you
tell it to and puts it wherever you tell it to.

2. Acronis True Image (www.acronis.com) is an excellent program that will
image your computer as well as do incremental backups.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
Blair

Re: Backing up files on XP Home Edition
Malke,
I realized that I posted in the Vista community after the fact.
Unfortunately, this was where the Windows XP page brought me when I clicked
on "community". Sorry about that. However, thank you so much for helping me,
I really appreciate it.
Blair

"Malke" wrote:

> Blair wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I have a portable USB hard drive. I have it installed and configured, but
> > I can not find how I actually back up my files. The only help I can find
> > on the Windows help site is for Vista. Can anyone help?

> You're posting in a Vista newsgroup. Next time questions about XP should go
> in an XP newsgroup like microsoft.public.windowsxp.general.
>
> While you can use the old NTBackup program that comes with XP (if you don't
> see it installed, it's in the Value Added folder on the CD), it really
> isn't very flexible since it was originally designed for NT and tape
> backups. I prefer these programs:
>
> 1. Second Copy (www.centered.com) is an excellent, reasonably priced
> ($29.95) program that does exactly what it says: it copies whatever you
> tell it to and puts it wherever you tell it to.
>
> 2. Acronis True Image (www.acronis.com) is an excellent program that will
> image your computer as well as do incremental backups.
>

> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> Don't Panic!

Malke

Blair wrote:

> Malke,
> I realized that I posted in the Vista community after the fact.
> Unfortunately, this was where the Windows XP page brought me when I
> clicked on "community". Sorry about that. However, thank you so much for
> helping me, I really appreciate it.

No problem. Glad I was able to help.

Malke