Running Disk Cleanup Wipes out my computer

Legro

Running Disk Cleanup Wipes out my computer
I have Windows Vista Professional and if I select all the options shown on
the disk cleanup application it disables my computer. Unfortunately I didn't
know what caused it the first 2 times it happened, but have isolated the
problem to disk cleanup. There are 4 boxes listed in disk clean up that are
the issue. They are:
- Per user archived Windows Error Reporting files
- Per user queued Windows Error Reporting files
- System archived Windows Error Reporting files
- System queued Windows Error Reporting files
--
I have run the disk cleanup and deleted all files but these and the computer
is not affected. But when these are selected for deletion the computer
crashes. I can't even re-start the computer in safe mode. I subscribe to
Iyogi and their technicians have helped restore my computer but I loose all
of my emails, HP printer drivers, various other program drivers, etc, etc,
etc. It takes about a week on the phone with Iyogi to regain the use of my
computer. My brother has Vista on his new computer and when he runs disk
clean up the selections I listed above are not listed to select for deletion.
Iyogi technicians have looked to change the disk clean up configuration so
these selections don't show in the results but there every configuration
offers these files on the results screen. Can someone please explain why
Microsoft would allow the for the possible deletion of files that can affect
a computer in such a serious manner on a program that should only delete
unnecessary files. Iyogi is looking into the issue for a solution but hasn't
found one as yet. Initially, all Iyogi technicians assured me that running
the disk cleanup program would not cause the problem, but that I must have a
virus on my computer. The technicians ran numerous virus detection programs
and did not find anything on my computer. They did not believe me when I told
them that the disk cleanup was the cause of my computer crash so I had the
Iyogi tech run the disk clean up first without checkmarking the four
selections noted above. All went well. I then asked him to run it again but
to check all the available boxes which included the four in question. My
computer crashed and I spent another week rebuilding the programs. Now no one
including myself runs disk clean up on my computer. Can anyone provide some
information on my issue? Thanks
Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Running Disk Cleanup Wipes out my computer
Serious Disk Cleanup problem caused by broken registration - The Winhelponline Blog:
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/se...-registration/

--
Regards,

The Winhelponline Blog: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
Windows® Troubleshooting: http://www.winhelponline.com

"Legro" <Legro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1CDE9B2C-99D9-4A5C-B55D-6EB79E05E865@microsoft.com...
[...]
N Brown

Re: Running Disk Cleanup Wipes out my computer

Deleting error .log files shouldn't crash your system.
I deleted over a gig of these files last week.
Maybe a virus? or a file corrupted that disk cleanup uses?

It wouldn't take a week to get back up to speed if you
backed up yourself. Use the Vista system restrore/backup and
you'll be running just like you were when you backed up
with all drivers in less than an hour in most cases.

"Legro" <Legro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have Windows Vista Professional and if I select all the options shown on
> the disk cleanup application it disables my computer. Unfortunately I
> didn't
> know what caused it the first 2 times it happened, but have isolated the
> problem to disk cleanup. There are 4 boxes listed in disk clean up that
> are
> the issue. They are:
> - Per user archived Windows Error Reporting files
> - Per user queued Windows Error Reporting files
> - System archived Windows Error Reporting files
> - System queued Windows Error Reporting files
> --
> I have run the disk cleanup and deleted all files but these and the
> computer
> is not affected. But when these are selected for deletion the computer
> crashes. I can't even re-start the computer in safe mode. I subscribe to
> Iyogi and their technicians have helped restore my computer but I loose
> all
> of my emails, HP printer drivers, various other program drivers, etc, etc,
> etc. It takes about a week on the phone with Iyogi to regain the use of my
> computer. My brother has Vista on his new computer and when he runs disk
> clean up the selections I listed above are not listed to select for
> deletion.
> Iyogi technicians have looked to change the disk clean up configuration so
> these selections don't show in the results but there every configuration
> offers these files on the results screen. Can someone please explain why
> Microsoft would allow the for the possible deletion of files that can
> affect
> a computer in such a serious manner on a program that should only delete
> unnecessary files. Iyogi is looking into the issue for a solution but
> hasn't
> found one as yet. Initially, all Iyogi technicians assured me that running
> the disk cleanup program would not cause the problem, but that I must have
> virus on my computer. The technicians ran numerous virus detection
> programs
> and did not find anything on my computer. They did not believe me when I
> told
> them that the disk cleanup was the cause of my computer crash so I had the
> Iyogi tech run the disk clean up first without checkmarking the four
> selections noted above. All went well. I then asked him to run it again
> but
> to check all the available boxes which included the four in question. My
> computer crashed and I spent another week rebuilding the programs. Now no
> one
> including myself runs disk clean up on my computer. Can anyone provide
> some
> information on my issue? Thanks

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Running Disk Cleanup Wipes out my computer
Probably caused by broken disk cleanup handler settings. See: