CHKDSK Checker on start up.

iMush

CHKDSK Checker on start up.

My laptop is newish. Maybe 2 months now.
The model is Advent and I'm running Vista Home Premium.

The checker wants to check the Vista drive for consistency.

It want's to scan 3 stages.

I only gets to the first stage and displayes someting along the lines
of:

Deleted corrupt entry
Type code 128 File 19611
Deleting corrupt record
Segment 11459
Readable/writable file not re writable.

And then does nothing after this.

If this information is not enough I will re do the scan and take down
everything displayed.

But what can be the problem? I download nothing and scan it daily. I
have touched no system files and have only had a small handful of
crashes.

Is this proble something somebody knows how to solve. This laptop was
bought for me and I cannot afford to have it repaired.

--
iMush
t-4-2

Re: CHKDSK Checker on start up.

iMush;733044 Wrote:
> My laptop is newish. Maybe 2 months now.
> The model is Advent and I'm running Vista Home Premium.
>
> The checker wants to check the Vista drive for consistency.
>
> It want's to scan 3 stages.
>
> I only gets to the first stage and displayes someting along the lines
> of:

> Deleted corrupt entry
> Type code 128 File 19611
> Deleting corrupt record
> Segment 11459
> Readable/writable file not re writable.
>

> And then does nothing after this.
>
> If this information is not enough I will re do the scan and take down
> everything displayed.
>
> But what can be the problem? I download nothing and scan it daily. I
> have touched no system files and have only had a small handful of
> crashes.
>
> Is this proble something somebody knows how to solve. This laptop was
> bought for me and I cannot afford to have it repaired.

Hello iMush,
Please, if you don't mind, the machine does NOT WANT to do anything. It
only does whatever command YOU have entered. You made it sounded so damn
creepish!!!
As to " And then does nothing after this." It is because it takes time
, and you didn't either have patience to wait or didn't know you had to
wait. Re-do the disk check and let the machine do it's task, at it's own
pace. Disk check always takes time.

--
t-4-2
iMush

Re: CHKDSK Checker on start up.

Sorry.

But never has it took any of the computers I have worked with 10
minutes on disk checker and not yet got past the first stage....

iMush;733112 Wrote:
> Sorry.
>
> But never has it took any of the computers I have worked with 10
> minutes on disk checker and not yet got past the first stage....

Yes, you have a point, especially it's virtually a new machine. But
then again, perhaps the machines you have worked with are XPs. Since the
machine was "deleting corrupt files", it must be on chkdsk /f or even
/r mode. It takes even longer for that command. So, just go watch the
TV, or read a book.

--
t-4-2
iMush

Re: CHKDSK Checker on start up.

Your correct, all were XP.

My main concern, not that I mind leaving it to run, is whether the
checker will leave any harm to it.

Will it delete anything that will cause the laptop to NOT run
correctly?

That is the oly concern I have with leaving to to scan and fix.

iMush;733134 Wrote:
> Your correct, all were XP.
>
> My main concern, not that I mind leaving it to run, is whether the
> checker will leave any harm to it.
>
> Will it delete anything that will cause the laptop to NOT run
> correctly?
>
> That is the oly concern I have with leaving to to scan and fix.

Hello iMush,
What's that song ? ---" Don't worry, be happy" ?
You can trust chkdsk. It can't inflict damages.

--
t-4-2
iMush

Re: CHKDSK Checker on start up.

Thats good news.
I didn't want to risk running it and the finding that it will not boot
up.

Thankyou

iMush;733138 Wrote:
> Thats good news.
> I didn't want to risk running it and the finding that it will not boot
> up.
>

> Thankyou

You are very welcome--- don't worry, be happy.

--
t-4-2
iMush

Re: CHKDSK Checker on start up.

Ok so I allowed disk checker to run and went for a bath. I came back and
the desktop was fine and everything worked.

I left, turned it off via shut down and booted back up and it still
prompts to check the same disk :/

Every time I looked at it checking the disk it would still be stuck on
the area specified in the OP.

Im assuming it got 'bored' of not 'doing anything' and just re
started....

Problem or nothing to worry about???

Note: I've not ran the disk check a second time as yet.

iMush;733433 Wrote:
> Ok so I allowed disk checker to run and went for a bath. I came back and
> the desktop was fine and everything worked.
>
> I left, turned it off via shut down and booted back up and it still
> prompts to check the same disk :/
>
> Every time I looked at it checking the disk it would still be stuck on
> the area specified in the OP.
>
> Im assuming it got 'bored' of not 'doing anything' and just re
> started....
>

> Problem or nothing to worry about???
>
> Note: I've not ran the disk check a second time as yet.

Hello iMush,
Somehow, your computer is set to do chkdsk each time you restart
(reboot). Here is how to stop that : --
Click START button > click COMPUTER > right click on OS C: > click
Properties > top, click TOOLs > click CHECK NOW > (prompt) > click START
> click CANCEL.

That's it. Close all windows. Disk check will not run at reboot
anymore.
Here is a link to a tutorial showing you how to run a chkdsk on command
prompt IN STEAD of at reboot. You can run it whenever you want, no
scdedule. Use METHOD 2, OPTION 1.

--
t-4-2