Vista has a mind of its own.

BethMarie

Vista has a mind of its own.
I am really tired of Vista deciding what it wants to do with no input from
me. This time all the font sizes in the display windows decided to grow
larger. It was fine when I turned off the PC, but when I turned it on the
next day all the font sizes had grown by at least 100%. I tried to change the
size of the font, but that did not work.

In reality I would like to get rid of Vista and go back to XP--there I
didn't have to worry what it was thinking up to do today
Donald L McDaniel

Re: Vista has a mind of its own.
On Fri, 30 May 2008 09:57:00 -0700, BethMarie
<BethMarie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am really tired of Vista deciding what it wants to do with no input from
>me. This time all the font sizes in the display windows decided to grow
>larger. It was fine when I turned off the PC, but when I turned it on the
>next day all the font sizes had grown by at least 100%. I tried to change the
>size of the font, but that did not work.
>
>In reality I would like to get rid of Vista and go back to XP--there I
>didn't have to worry what it was thinking up to do today

In the first place, NO OS "thinks", nor do they make "rational
decisions". They "make decisions" (if that is what you want to call
the process) based on numerical and logical conditions, not being
thinking creatures as we are. They can ONLY do what the programmers
or users have configured them to do. Nothing more, and nothing less.

i.e., ("Garbage in, Garbage out.")

IF the desktop resolution is changing each time you reboot, I suggest
that something is wrong with either your installation, or the way YOU
have configured the machine.

OR, you have a faulty video card, or one which is not fully Vista
compatible.

OR faulty drivers.

I guess the familiar is easier to use than the unfamiliar for some
simple-minded folk. If you are having that much trouble with Vista,

No one will know, nor will anyone care.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original newsgroup and thread.
BethMarie

Re: Vista has a mind of its own.

"Donald L McDaniel" wrote:

> On Fri, 30 May 2008 09:57:00 -0700, BethMarie
> <BethMarie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I am really tired of Vista deciding what it wants to do with no input from
> >me. This time all the font sizes in the display windows decided to grow
> >larger. It was fine when I turned off the PC, but when I turned it on the
> >next day all the font sizes had grown by at least 100%. I tried to change the
> >size of the font, but that did not work.
> >
> >In reality I would like to get rid of Vista and go back to XP--there I
> >didn't have to worry what it was thinking up to do today

> In the first place, NO OS "thinks", nor do they make "rational
> decisions". They "make decisions" (if that is what you want to call
> the process) based on numerical and logical conditions, not being
> thinking creatures as we are. They can ONLY do what the programmers
> or users have configured them to do. Nothing more, and nothing less.
>
> i.e., ("Garbage in, Garbage out.")
>
> IF the desktop resolution is changing each time you reboot, I suggest
> that something is wrong with either your installation, or the way YOU
> have configured the machine.
>
> OR, you have a faulty video card, or one which is not fully Vista
> compatible.
>
> OR faulty drivers.
>
> I guess the familiar is easier to use than the unfamiliar for some
> simple-minded folk. If you are having that much trouble with Vista,
>
> No one will know, nor will anyone care.
>

> Donald L McDaniel
> Please reply to the original newsgroup and thread.
> ================================================== ======
> I do not appreciate your dismissive answer at all. It is rude. I know all of what you said, but this happens all of a sudden even in the middle of doing something. So please DO NOT RESPOND TO THis.

Znod

Re: Vista has a mind of its own.

Agreed. Also, yes, for some reason your screen resolution is changing. I
think that happens to all of us from time to time, but not regularly as
in your case. How long have you had the problem. If it arose recently,
then a system restore to an appropriate point might sort it.

--
Znod

::::[image:
http://homepage.mac.com/donv1/.Pictu.../VistaTVF.jpg]
::::
C.B.

Re: Vista has a mind of its own.

"BethMarie" <BethMarie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Donald L McDaniel" wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 30 May 2008 09:57:00 -0700, BethMarie
>> <BethMarie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I am really tired of Vista deciding what it wants to do with no input
>> >from
>> >me. This time all the font sizes in the display windows decided to grow
>> >larger. It was fine when I turned off the PC, but when I turned it on
>> >the
>> >next day all the font sizes had grown by at least 100%. I tried to
>> >change the
>> >size of the font, but that did not work.
>> >
>> >In reality I would like to get rid of Vista and go back to XP--there I
>> >didn't have to worry what it was thinking up to do today

>> In the first place, NO OS "thinks", nor do they make "rational
>> decisions". They "make decisions" (if that is what you want to call
>> the process) based on numerical and logical conditions, not being
>> thinking creatures as we are. They can ONLY do what the programmers
>> or users have configured them to do. Nothing more, and nothing less.
>>
>> i.e., ("Garbage in, Garbage out.")
>>
>> IF the desktop resolution is changing each time you reboot, I suggest
>> that something is wrong with either your installation, or the way YOU
>> have configured the machine.
>>
>> OR, you have a faulty video card, or one which is not fully Vista
>> compatible.
>>
>> OR faulty drivers.
>>
>> I guess the familiar is easier to use than the unfamiliar for some
>> simple-minded folk. If you are having that much trouble with Vista,
>>
>> No one will know, nor will anyone care.
>>

>> Donald L McDaniel
>> Please reply to the original newsgroup and thread.
>> ================================================== ======
>> I do not appreciate your dismissive answer at all. It is rude. I know all
>> of what you said, but this happens all of a sudden even in the middle of
>> doing something. So please DO NOT RESPOND TO THis.

The tone of his answer was directly proportional to the attitude of
your post. You asked for it and he gave it.

C.B.

--
It is the responsibility and duty of everyone to help the underprivileged
and unfortunate among us.

Gordon

Re: Vista has a mind of its own.
"BethMarie" <BethMarie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I do not appreciate your dismissive answer at all. It is rude. I know all
> of what you said,

Then if that is so, tell us what steps you have taken to try to resolve
this, before posting your vague and generalised anti-Vista rantings...

Ronc

>I am really tired of Vista deciding what it wants to do with no input from
> me. This time all the font sizes in the display windows decided to grow
> larger. It was fine when I turned off the PC, but when I turned it on the
> next day all the font sizes had grown by at least 100%. I tried to change
> the
> size of the font, but that did not work.
>
> In reality I would like to get rid of Vista and go back to XP--there I
> didn't have to worry what it was thinking up to do today

After using Windows 9x for 10 years and then switching to Vista, I feel your
pain. Although I did not experience your font size issue, permanent
customizations that were easily made in Win98 seem to no longer "stick".
The web page window size issue has been driving me nuts for the past 12
months. I set the window size and after reboot it's back to where it was to
start (too small). I've googled the issue, read dozens of "fixes", none of
which work permanently on the final Vista build.

I once experienced a "feature" in which moving the scroll wheel on the mouse
would change the screen resolution but it hasn't done it in quite a while.
I'd like to know how to do it, mainly so that if it happens again I'll know
how to turn it off.

Donald L McDaniel

Re: Vista has a mind of its own.
On Fri, 30 May 2008 17:31:02 -0700, BethMarie
<BethMarie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Donald L McDaniel" wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 30 May 2008 09:57:00 -0700, BethMarie
>> <BethMarie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I am really tired of Vista deciding what it wants to do with no input from
>> >me. This time all the font sizes in the display windows decided to grow
>> >larger. It was fine when I turned off the PC, but when I turned it on the
>> >next day all the font sizes had grown by at least 100%. I tried to change the
>> >size of the font, but that did not work.
>> >
>> >In reality I would like to get rid of Vista and go back to XP--there I
>> >didn't have to worry what it was thinking up to do today

>> In the first place, NO OS "thinks", nor do they make "rational
>> decisions". They "make decisions" (if that is what you want to call
>> the process) based on numerical and logical conditions, not being
>> thinking creatures as we are. They can ONLY do what the programmers
>> or users have configured them to do. Nothing more, and nothing less.
>>
>> i.e., ("Garbage in, Garbage out.")
>>
>> IF the desktop resolution is changing each time you reboot, I suggest
>> that something is wrong with either your installation, or the way YOU
>> have configured the machine.
>>
>> OR, you have a faulty video card, or one which is not fully Vista
>> compatible.
>>
>> OR faulty drivers.
>>
>> I guess the familiar is easier to use than the unfamiliar for some
>> simple-minded folk. If you are having that much trouble with Vista,
>>
>> No one will know, nor will anyone care.
>>

>> Donald L McDaniel
>> Please reply to the original newsgroup and thread.
>> ================================================== ======
>> I do not appreciate your dismissive answer at all. It is rude. I know all of what you said,

Something tells me that you really didn't understand anything I said.
Which is why I was "dismissive", as you call it. If you can't
understand that Vista does not think, you certainly can't understand
any help anyone has to offer you.

>but this happens all of a sudden even in the middle of doing something. So please DO NOT RESPOND TO THis.

Beth, it's obvious that you don't like Vista. Why continue using it if
you don't like it?

I've spoken the truth to you, without pulling any punches. I've also
offered you a few pointers to help you find the problem. I'm sorry
you didn't appreciate the help I had to offer.

By the way, Beth, I was not attempting to be rude to you. If it
appears that way to you, please forgive me.

I admit that I am not a very "diplomatic" person. I will never tell
someone just what they want to hear. I will always get right to the
crux of a matter.

IF it offends you, then I can only apologize.

It's very important that folks know that computers are NOT
intelligent, as human beings are, and as machines, they cannot make
arbitrary "decisions" as human beings can. Then, they will stop
blaming the OS, and start looking for the REAL problems.

But folks who continually anthropomorphize their machinery are doomed
to repeat their mistakes over and over.

On Fri, 30 May 2008 20:02:36 -0500, Znod <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

>Agreed. Also, yes, for some reason your screen resolution is changing. I
>think that happens to all of us from time to time, but not regularly as
>in your case. How long have you had the problem. If it arose recently,
>then a system restore to an appropriate point might sort it.

The only time my screen resolution changes is when I change it myself.
Vista NEVER does anything "on its own", since it HAS no "own".

It, as an inanimate OS, on an inanimate machine, has no such ability
to make arbitrary "decisions". In fact, it cannot make "decisions", as
human beings do, since it has no consciousness, no personality, no
spirit, no will, and no humanity -- just numbers and logical
conditions based on those numbers, which cannot, in any way, "suddenly
decide" to change your screen resolution.

If this is "rude", then so be it.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original newsgroup and thread.
Cj

Re: Vista has a mind of its own.
"Ronc" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> "BethMarie" <BethMarie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I am really tired of Vista deciding what it wants to do with no input from
>> me. This time all the font sizes in the display windows decided to grow
>> larger. It was fine when I turned off the PC, but when I turned it on the
>> next day all the font sizes had grown by at least 100%. I tried to change
>> the
>> size of the font, but that did not work.
>>
>> In reality I would like to get rid of Vista and go back to XP--there I
>> didn't have to worry what it was thinking up to do today

> After using Windows 9x for 10 years and then switching to Vista, I feel
> your pain. Although I did not experience your font size issue, permanent
> customizations that were easily made in Win98 seem to no longer "stick".
> The web page window size issue has been driving me nuts for the past 12
> months. I set the window size and after reboot it's back to where it was
> to start (too small). I've googled the issue, read dozens of "fixes",
> none of which work permanently on the final Vista build.
>
> I once experienced a "feature" in which moving the scroll wheel on the
> mouse would change the screen resolution but it hasn't done it in quite a
> while. I'd like to know how to do it, mainly so that if it happens again
> I'll know how to turn it off.

I have the same problem intermittently, I assume that I "did something" to
cause it but I cannot figure out what it is nor can I fix it. Vista on my
machine has dozens of miscellaneous "features" that have popped up randomly
over the past few months, I can't get rid of them and I too intend to go
back to XP to avoid wasting all my time with fixes. I have had some good
advice from people in this newsgroup but when I get down to the "fix" screen
it is always grayed out, this has happened a half dozen times and I am sick
of it. Vista is a disaster for me.
Cj