Icons changed or Missing!

lian183

Icons changed or Missing!
Hi.
I've been using Windows Vista Premium for over a year now.
So far I've no problems with it yet. However, just recently, I noticed that
the icons for the computer and recycle bin were gone. Futhermore, the icon
for some of the folders on my computer were either blank or a icon of the
computer. Some files (ranging from the .dll to .exe) were changed to the
computer icon as well. The icons for the floppy drive and my usb also
disappeared and are displayed by the icon that represents file that windows
does not recognise.
Can anyone help me restore these icons?
I have tried a system restore back a week when they were all still good but
that did not make a difference. Thanks in advance.
t-4-2

Re: Icons changed or Missing!

lian183;730942 Wrote:
> Hi.
> I've been using Windows Vista Premium for over a year now.
> So far I've no problems with it yet. However, just recently, I noticed
> that
> the icons for the computer and recycle bin were gone. Futhermore, the
> icon
> for some of the folders on my computer were either blank or a icon of
> the
> computer. Some files (ranging from the .dll to .exe) were changed to
> the
> computer icon as well. The icons for the floppy drive and my usb also
> disappeared and are displayed by the icon that represents file that
> windows
> does not recognise.
> Can anyone help me restore these icons?
> I have tried a system restore back a week when they were all still good
> but
> that did not make a difference. Thanks in advance.

Hello lian,
Please use this link which will show you how to rebuild the icon cache
; -
( Use method one )
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/11...e-rebuild.html

--
t-4-2
lian183

Re: Icons changed or Missing!

"t-4-2" wrote:

> lian183;730942 Wrote:
> > Hi.
> > I've been using Windows Vista Premium for over a year now.
> > So far I've no problems with it yet. However, just recently, I noticed
> > that
> > the icons for the computer and recycle bin were gone. Futhermore, the
> > icon
> > for some of the folders on my computer were either blank or a icon of
> > the
> > computer. Some files (ranging from the .dll to .exe) were changed to
> > the
> > computer icon as well. The icons for the floppy drive and my usb also
> > disappeared and are displayed by the icon that represents file that
> > windows
> > does not recognise.
> > Can anyone help me restore these icons?
> > I have tried a system restore back a week when they were all still good
> > but
> > that did not make a difference. Thanks in advance.

> Hello lian,
> Please use this link which will show you how to rebuild the icon cache
> ; -
> ( Use method one )
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/11...e-rebuild.html
>

> --
> t-4-2

Hello.
Thanks for you suggestion but that did not work. The icons are still missing
or changed. I also noticed that whenever i tried to open something in my
documents through a program, it always stops responding. If i click open in
word, the window will say "Open" and in the address bar you can see that it
is trying to open something in the folder "Documents". It stops responding
and i am forced to close it. This also happens in Windows live messenger when
trying to change a display picture, happens in photoshop when opening a file
to work on and basically all of the other programs that can open something
up. Anyone have suggestions? I really need this problem fixed.
t-4-2

Re: Icons changed or Missing!

lian183;731943 Wrote:

> > > noticed
> > > the
> > > of
> > > also
> > > good
> > > Hello lian,
> > > Please use this link which will show you how to rebuild the icon

> > cache
> > > ; -
> > > ( Use method one )
> > > http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/11...e-rebuild.html
> > >

> > > --
> > > t-4-2
> > > > >

> Hello.
> Thanks for you suggestion but that did not work. The icons are still
> missing
> or changed. I also noticed that whenever i tried to open something in
> my
> documents through a program, it always stops responding. If i click
> open in
> word, the window will say "Open" and in the address bar you can see
> that it
> is trying to open something in the folder "Documents". It stops
> responding
> and i am forced to close it. This also happens in Windows live
> messenger when
> trying to change a display picture, happens in photoshop when opening
> a file
> to work on and basically all of the other programs that can open
> something
> up. Anyone have suggestions? I really need this problem fixed.

Hello lian,
How about do a system restore in Safe mode With command prompt, and
type **
c:\windows\system32\rstrui.exe **in the command prompt.
Specuylation time : "dump the Norton"

--
t-4-2
lian183

Re: Icons changed or Missing!
Thank you so much.
It seems that i didnt go back far enough when i used system restore. I put
it back 2 weeks and it worked fine.
By the way, I use Trend Micro not Norton.
t-4-2

Re: Icons changed or Missing!

lian183;731976 Wrote:
> Thank you so much.
> It seems that i didnt go back far enough when i used system restore. I
> put
> it back 2 weeks and it worked fine.
> By the way, I use Trend Micro not Norton.

Glad to know you have your problem solved. When Trend expires, you
might want to consider getting Avast or Avg. They work just as good, and
they are Free.

--
t-4-2