Windows sidebar won't automatically start anymore

Jibberish

Windows sidebar won't automatically start anymore
Hi, my side bar won't keep it's setting to start when computer starts
anymore. I have no problem getting it to open manually and all tools are
working correctly on it. I have selected under the properties to start when
windows starts and apply/ok. But for what ever reason it does not keep that
setting?

Any suggestions to help? Very novice here as to terminology, but do
appreciate any help.

Donald L McDaniel

Re: Windows sidebar won't automatically start anymore
On Thu, 29 May 2008 18:41:00 -0700, Jibberish
<Jibberish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi, my side bar won't keep it's setting to start when computer starts
>anymore. I have no problem getting it to open manually and all tools are
>working correctly on it. I have selected under the properties to start when
>windows starts and apply/ok. But for what ever reason it does not keep that
>setting?
>
>Any suggestions to help? Very novice here as to terminology, but do
>appreciate any help.

Looks to me that the old Windows bugaboo is raising its ugly head in
your situation. Windows has always had problems with saving (or fully
saving) one's individual settings. I don't really see it changing
anytime soon.

I know some will disagree with me, but I've seen this more than once
on other Microsoft OSes since Windows 95, on a variety of Intel-based
machines.

Microsoft has still failed to fix it in Vista, apparently, since I
have this problem from time to time, also. And others have the same
problem, which leads me to believe that Vista is still plagued by the
same problem.

It may be that Windows fails to flush all the write buffers to disk
when shutting the machine down, thus losing some or all of your
individual settings between sessions.

The faster your machine shuts down, the more possible this becomes,
since Windows (in my opinion) doesn't always have enough time to
finish flushing all the write buffers before sending a "stop" to the
HD.

Additionally, failing to shut Windows down via the Start Menu can
easily cause these settings to not be saved, so ALWAYS be sure to shut
your machine down using the Start menu "whenever possible", rather
than the power button on your computer.

NOTE that I said "whenever possible". Sometimes, Windows hangs so
badly on shutdown (or during operation) that you MUST use the
hardware power button to shut it down. Not often, but enough to know
that Windows has problems in this area which still require fixing.

But even OS X has to be shut down via the hardware power button from
time to time. So Windows is certainly not alone in this.

Heck, man, sometimes turning the key off in your auto doesn't always
stop the engine immediately. Especially if the engine's timing is
off, or the carborator is mal-adjusted, or the engine needs oil, or a
filter is dirty, or a vacuum line is faulty. Or any number of other
causes.

Windows has similar problems, like all other things we create. There
is just no such thing as perfection this side of the grave

We are living by the two Laws of thermodynamics in this Universe:
"Energy is always conserved", and "All things eventually break down
and fail." (i.e., "all matter is returning back to the energy from
which it came.")

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original newsgroup and thread.
ferrisits

Re: Windows sidebar won't automatically start anymore

Check in the windows defender to see if it is blocked .....

--
ferrisits
mallian

Re: Windows sidebar won't automatically start anymore

I had the same problem some time ago but handled it by following these
instructions from Brink. go to,
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/11...art-vista.html

Mallian

--