Vista and >2GB of memory doesn't work

Trevor

Vista and >2GB of memory doesn't work
I have a strange problem. I an using Vista Ultimate SP1 on a Gigabyte mobo
with a Q6600 CPU but cannot use more than two slots on the memory board. I
run nicely if I populate two of the slots with 1GB matched memory but the
minute I populate the other two slots with the same brand of matched 1GB
memory boards, I get a BSOD.

Is this a Vista problem? If I use either of the mobo slots to test the
memory (provided its not more than 1 GB each) they both work. The mobo is
GA-EP35C-DS3R.

Can anyone shed some light on my problem.

Thanks
Trevor

ferrisits

Re: Vista and >2GB of memory doesn't work

Can you just check and tell how many memory slots are available on the
MB ?

It is recommended you install the BIOS update before adding more memory
modules

--
ferrisits
Trevor

"ferrisits" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Can you just check and tell how many memory slots are available on the
> MB ?
>
> It is recommended you install the BIOS update before adding more memory
> modules
>

> --
> ferrisits

Six memory slots 2 for DDR3 memory and 4 for DDR2 memory. What BIOS update
are you referring to?

Dustin Harper

Re: Vista and >2GB of memory doesn't work
I had the same issue with a Gigabyte board. They are very finicky with 4
sticks of RAM. I ended up having to switch to 2 2GB sticks to equal 4 GB.
It's a Gigabyte issue.

--

Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

Was this helpful? Then click the Ratings button. Voting helps the web
interface.
http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales...eAPostAsAnswer

"Trevor" <executor@telkomsa.net> wrote in message
>I have a strange problem. I an using Vista Ultimate SP1 on a Gigabyte mobo
>with a Q6600 CPU but cannot use more than two slots on the memory board. I
>run nicely if I populate two of the slots with 1GB matched memory but the
>minute I populate the other two slots with the same brand of matched 1GB
>memory boards, I get a BSOD.
>
> Is this a Vista problem? If I use either of the mobo slots to test the
> memory (provided its not more than 1 GB each) they both work. The mobo is
> GA-EP35C-DS3R.
>
> Can anyone shed some light on my problem.
>
> Thanks
> Trevor

Martin Stein

Re: Vista and >2GB of memory doesn't work
> Is this a Vista problem? If I use either of the mobo slots to test the
> memory (provided its not more than 1 GB each) they both work. The mobo is
> GA-EP35C-DS3R.

I have the P35-DS3R with 4 x 1GB sticks, two matched pairs from different
manufacturers. Running it under Vista x86 just fine. Maybe I was just lucky.
You might want to try buy an approved by Gigabyte type of memory for that
particular mobo.
Also update your BIOS to the latest.
Hope that helps.

Trevor

"Martin Stein" <steinmh@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Is this a Vista problem? If I use either of the mobo slots to test the
>> memory (provided its not more than 1 GB each) they both work. The mobo
>> is GA-EP35C-DS3R.

> I have the P35-DS3R with 4 x 1GB sticks, two matched pairs from different
> manufacturers. Running it under Vista x86 just fine. Maybe I was just
> lucky. You might want to try buy an approved by Gigabyte type of memory
> for that particular mobo.
> Also update your BIOS to the latest.
> Hope that helps.

The motherboard is updated to the latest BIOS but the problem I agree seems
to be something with the board and will now try 2 x 2GB slots to solve the
problem. Strange, I also had the same problem with an older Gigabyte
motherboard GA-P35-DQ6

Donald L McDaniel

Re: Vista and >2GB of memory doesn't work
On Fri, 30 May 2008 10:21:56 +0200, "Trevor" <executor@telkomsa.net>
wrote:

>"Martin Stein" <steinmh@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Is this a Vista problem? If I use either of the mobo slots to test the
>>> memory (provided its not more than 1 GB each) they both work. The mobo
>>> is GA-EP35C-DS3R.

>> I have the P35-DS3R with 4 x 1GB sticks, two matched pairs from different
>> manufacturers. Running it under Vista x86 just fine. Maybe I was just
>> lucky. You might want to try buy an approved by Gigabyte type of memory
>> for that particular mobo.
>> Also update your BIOS to the latest.
>> Hope that helps.

>The motherboard is updated to the latest BIOS but the problem I agree seems
>to be something with the board and will now try 2 x 2GB slots to solve the
>problem. Strange, I also had the same problem with an older Gigabyte
>motherboard GA-P35-DQ6

It sounds to me like you tend to make wrong choices for motherboards.
I would start going with Intel motherboards from now on. I've never
had problems with an Intel MB under any OS. But I have had a plethora
of problems using non-Intel motherboards.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original newsgroup and thread.