Hibernation Problem

Ryka

Hibernation Problem
I asked this question in vista.general but no one answered me; so I hope
someone in the group will help me.

When I put my computer into Hibernate sometimes it will stay that way (all
night), but, other times, with nothing changed from the night before, it
will be Awake in the morning. What should I do to have Hibernate work all
night every night? Thanks.

Ralph

Re: Hibernation Problem
That would be a toughie.
Likely you would need to go through all the software you installed, to find
out what's waking it up.
Lots of software likes to try looking for updates at odd times.

Hibernate is a very intensive process.
All applications running are saved as they are, screen information is all
written to the hard drive, and then the system shuts down.
On wake-up, all that stuff has to re-load and get to where it was.

If you really need hibernate, and not just a sleep or power save, the system
needs to be cleaned up.
Otherwise, I normally suggest not using hibernate.

On a 'squeaky-clean' system, with lots of memory and hard drive space, it
works fine.
...just a friendly opinion.

"Ryka" <Ryka@live.com> wrote in message
>I asked this question in vista.general but no one answered me; so I hope
>someone in the group will help me.
>
> When I put my computer into Hibernate sometimes it will stay that way (all
> night), but, other times, with nothing changed from the night before, it
> will be Awake in the morning. What should I do to have Hibernate work all
> night every night? Thanks.

Brink

Re: Hibernation Problem

Ryka;729229 Wrote:
> I asked this question in vista.general but no one answered me; so I hope
> someone in the group will help me.
>
> When I put my computer into Hibernate sometimes it will stay that way
> (all
> night), but, other times, with nothing changed from the night before,
> it
> will be Awake in the morning. What should I do to have Hibernate work
> all
> night every night? Thanks.

Hi Ryka,

This tutorial may be able to help you. You may have the Network device
and BIOS "Wake On ...." settings enabled. This can wake your computer.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63...-problems.html

Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Steve Thackery

Re: Hibernation Problem
I found it necessary to go through all the devices in Device Manager and
uncheck "Allow this device to wake the computer". You might have to do the
same in the BIOS, too.

SteveT

Victek

Re: Hibernation Problem
> I asked this question in vista.general but no one answered me; so I hope
> someone in the group will help me.
>
> When I put my computer into Hibernate sometimes it will stay that way (all
> night), but, other times, with nothing changed from the night before, it
> will be Awake in the morning. What should I do to have Hibernate work all
> night every night? Thanks.

Look in the computer's BIOS power settings for "Wake On" event options and
turn them off.

Ania Pankiewicz

Re: Hibernation Problem
My computer does not come out of hibernate state untill cut off from power. I
have to unplug it and disconnect the battery to be able to switch it off and
on again!
Any suggestions?

"Victek" wrote:

> > I asked this question in vista.general but no one answered me; so I hope
> > someone in the group will help me.
> >
> > When I put my computer into Hibernate sometimes it will stay that way (all
> > night), but, other times, with nothing changed from the night before, it
> > will be Awake in the morning. What should I do to have Hibernate work all
> > night every night? Thanks.
> >

> Look in the computer's BIOS power settings for "Wake On" event options and
> turn them off.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

RE: Hibernation Problem
Hello,
There are a couple of places to look,
First look in the System Event log, We may try to log the reason why the
machine wakes up in there.

Then Try this.
Open and elevated CMD prompt
run powercfg /lastwake
report back the output.
For example my machine's output:

C:\Windows>powercfg /lastwake
Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
Wake Source Count - 1
Wake Source [0]
Type: Device
Instance Path:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C8&SUBSYS_01A81028&REV_01\3&172 e68dd&0&E8
Friendly Name:
Controller - 27C8
Manufacturer: Intel

This means on my machine something connected to USB woke the machine up,
which would be right, I used the keyboard or mouse to wake the machine when
it was sleeping

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
| >From: "Ryka" <Ryka@live.com>
| >Subject: Hibernation Problem
| >Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 18:47:45 -0400
| >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_mainten ance
| >
| >I asked this question in vista.general but no one answered me; so I hope
| >someone in the group will help me.
| >
| >When I put my computer into Hibernate sometimes it will stay that way
(all
| >night), but, other times, with nothing changed from the night before, it
| >will be Awake in the morning. What should I do to have Hibernate work
all
| >night every night? Thanks.

Brink

Re: Hibernation Problem

Ania Pankiewicz;731414 Wrote:
> My computer does not come out of hibernate state untill cut off from
> power. I
> have to unplug it and disconnect the battery to be able to switch it
> off and
> on again!
> Any suggestions?

> > > hope

> > > way (all
> > > before, it
> > > work all
> > > > >> > > >
> > > Look in the computer's BIOS power settings for "Wake On" event

> > options and
> > > turn them off.

Hi Ania,

This tutorial may help you find out what is causing your problem. Just
check throught the steps one by one until something stands out at you.

'Power Options and Sleep Mode Problems'
(http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63...-problems.html)

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Victek

Re: Hibernation Problem
> My computer does not come out of hibernate state untill cut off from
> power. I
> have to unplug it and disconnect the battery to be able to switch it off
> and
> on again!
> Any suggestions?

Open "Control Panel/Power Options/Change Plan Settings/Change Advanced Power
Settings",

and check the settings for Power Buttons and Lid. Also, in the BIOS power
settings make sure it set for S3 (sorry can't be more specific about this,
but it should be reasonably obvious). You get into the BIOS by hitting a
key when you first turn on the computer - usually DEL, F1 or F2, depending
on the brand.

Ryka

Re: Hibernation Problem
Thank you to everyone for your help and suggestions! There seem to be
several reasons the computer wakes up and I'm going to just use the Hybrid
Sleep feature. I had turned it off in my attempts to Hibernate, but now I
will turn it back on. Vista is a lot more quirky than XP!!