100% CPU usage

radamsk1

100% CPU usage

I know this is a common problem afflicting many people, especially with
various system services like svchost.exe etc. etc...

However, my CPU tends to run 100% randomly on ANY program that is
currently running or that I am trying to run. Sometimes it calms back
down, but usually runs at 100% consistently.

Some programs that randomly run at 100% include Skype, MSN messenger,
WMP, explorer.exe, taskmanger, etc. Basically it is almost any
program. I fear something is wrong somewhere in the OS.

Any ideas?

--
radamsk1
radamsk1's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=50118

http://forums.techarena.in

propman

Re: 100% CPU usage
radamsk1 wrote:
> I know this is a common problem afflicting many people, especially with
> various system services like svchost.exe etc. etc...
>
> However, my CPU tends to run 100% randomly on ANY program that is
> currently running or that I am trying to run. Sometimes it calms back
> down, but usually runs at 100% consistently.
>
> Some programs that randomly run at 100% include Skype, MSN messenger,
> WMP, explorer.exe, taskmanger, etc. Basically it is almost any
> program. I fear something is wrong somewhere in the OS.
>
> Any ideas?

How much ram is installed in the system? If you are low on memory and
your hard drive is constantly active, CPU activity will increase by a
subquential amount.

PS.....good idea when you are seeking info about system troubles to
included details on your systems specs, OS, fixpacks (service packs)
etc. :-)

radamsk1

Re: 100% CPU usage

Sorry about the lack of info.

2GHz Core Duo, 2GB Ram, Dell XPS 1210 with Vista Home Premium. I've
never had any of these problems prior to the start of this about a week
ago. No new installed programs, nothing found on antivirus or spyware
scans. On Task manager less than 50% of memory seems used, no major
use of virtual memory is noted. Randomly one process running will
suddenly go to 100% usage and be sustained for a few minutes, upon
ending of the program in task manager, CPU use returns to normal within
30 seconds. However, this happens with many programs, not just one
single running program.

--
radamsk1
radamsk1's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=50118
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=973585

http://forums.techarena.in

Malke

Re: 100% CPU usage
radamsk1 wrote:

> Sorry about the lack of info.
>
> 2GHz Core Duo, 2GB Ram, Dell XPS 1210 with Vista Home Premium. I've
> never had any of these problems prior to the start of this about a week
> ago. No new installed programs, nothing found on antivirus or spyware
> scans. On Task manager less than 50% of memory seems used, no major
> use of virtual memory is noted. Randomly one process running will
> suddenly go to 100% usage and be sustained for a few minutes, upon
> ending of the program in task manager, CPU use returns to normal within
> 30 seconds. However, this happens with many programs, not just one
> single running program.

Do clean boot troubleshooting because something is causing this, whether it
is easily apparent to you or not. :-)

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista -

Also, please review these general malware removal steps to see if you were
as thorough in your scanning. If you weren't, it would be a good idea to do
at least some of the steps. But try the clean boot troubleshooting first.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
blueknight6

Re: 100% CPU usage

::This is common especially within two to three weeks after fresh Vista
installation. You should disable the windows search service and then see
the CPU resources (click on graph to see process detail), in Task
manager’s Process page and then resource monitor. It will work but cost
you slow search speed. ::

--
blueknight6
SCSIraidGURU

Re: 100% CPU usage

Indexing service can also cause issues on CPU. Try error checking and
defrag your hard drive. Do you have all your updates and latest
versions of all the apps.

--
SCSIraidGURU

Michael A. McKenney
'www.SCSIraidGURU.com' (http://www.SCSIraidGURU.com)

Supermicro X7DWA-N server board
pair of Intel E5430 quad core 2.66 GHz Xeons
16GB DDR667
SAS RAID
eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB video card
radamsk1

Re: 100% CPU usage

All current program update, did malware/spyware scans again that turned
up negative. I've been running Vista on here for the past year, never
had a problem with the indexing service but I'll try disabling it for a
day and see if it happens still. Thanks for the tips, i'll try
researching them. Any other ideas are welcome still.

--
radamsk1
radamsk1's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=50118
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=973585

http://forums.techarena.in

JW

Re: 100% CPU usage
radamsk1,
What problem does a application running flat out cause you? Any high
priority application that is not performing physical I/O will consume all
CPU power available.
> radamsk1 wrote:
>

>> Sorry about the lack of info.
>>
>> 2GHz Core Duo, 2GB Ram, Dell XPS 1210 with Vista Home Premium. I've
>> never had any of these problems prior to the start of this about a week
>> ago. No new installed programs, nothing found on antivirus or spyware
>> scans. On Task manager less than 50% of memory seems used, no major
>> use of virtual memory is noted. Randomly one process running will
>> suddenly go to 100% usage and be sustained for a few minutes, upon
>> ending of the program in task manager, CPU use returns to normal within
>> 30 seconds. However, this happens with many programs, not just one
>> single running program.
>>

> Do clean boot troubleshooting because something is causing this, whether
> it
> is easily apparent to you or not. :-)
>
> How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows
> Vista -
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;929135
>
> Also, please review these general malware removal steps to see if you were
> as thorough in your scanning. If you weren't, it would be a good idea to
> do
> at least some of the steps. But try the clean boot troubleshooting first.

> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> Don't Panic!

radamsk1

Re: 100% CPU usage

Basically the laptop comes to a halt, it becomes unresponsive, takes
over a minute to open a program... basically unusable until the event
resolves which takes about 2 minuntes, or I have to force the program
to end and close, which resolves the 100% usage about 30 seconds after
it is closed. But the main problem is that it seems any program can be
doing it ... IE, svchost, ccsvchost, skype, messenger, even task
manager.

Ran more spyware scans, antivirus scans in safe mode with no avail.
Hijackthis reports reveal no useful information. I can't isolate any
specific program either causing it, thereby complicating this
situation. Half of the time the computer is ok, but othertimes a
random program consumes the whole CPU use and I can't use it.

radamsk1 wrote:

> Basically the laptop comes to a halt, it becomes unresponsive, takes
> over a minute to open a program... basically unusable until the event
> resolves which takes about 2 minuntes, or I have to force the program
> to end and close, which resolves the 100% usage about 30 seconds after
> it is closed. But the main problem is that it seems any program can be
> doing it ... IE, svchost, ccsvchost, skype, messenger, even task
> manager.
>
> Ran more spyware scans, antivirus scans in safe mode with no avail.
> Hijackthis reports reveal no useful information. I can't isolate any
> specific program either causing it, thereby complicating this
> situation. Half of the time the computer is ok, but othertimes a
> random program consumes the whole CPU use and I can't use it.

Did you do clean-boot troubleshooting per the KB article?

Malke