Vista SP1 won't uninstall

R.B.Bailey

Vista SP1 won't uninstall
After I installed Vista SP1, my internet connections disappeared, my Sidebar
doesn't work right, and other problems.
When I tried to uninstall SP1, It would log off, and complete(?) the first
two stages of the service pack uninstall.
Then the computer would reboot, complete the third and final stage...then I
would get the message "Service pack did not uninstall, reverting changes"
I have tried five or six times to uninstall, with the same results. I read
somewhere to disable firewall and antivirius, make sure windows installer is
enabled, then try it again. I don't have an internet connection anymore, so I
will go one step further and uninstall my Norton Internet Security, then try
these steps.
Does anyone else have any suggestions, besides a drive reformat?
--
R.B.
C.B.

Re: Vista SP1 won't uninstall

"R.B.Bailey" <RBBailey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news6CF98C4-1FB7-4DFA-960C-59A8D54EFAF3@microsoft.com...
> After I installed Vista SP1, my internet connections disappeared, my
> Sidebar
> doesn't work right, and other problems.
> When I tried to uninstall SP1, It would log off, and complete(?) the first
> two stages of the service pack uninstall.
> Then the computer would reboot, complete the third and final stage...then
> would get the message "Service pack did not uninstall, reverting changes"
> I have tried five or six times to uninstall, with the same results. I read
> somewhere to disable firewall and antivirius, make sure windows installer
> is
> enabled, then try it again. I don't have an internet connection anymore,
> so I
> will go one step further and uninstall my Norton Internet Security, then
> try
> these steps.
> Does anyone else have any suggestions, besides a drive reformat?
> --
> R.B.

Have you tried a System Restore?

C.B.

--
It is the responsibility and duty of everyone to help the underprivileged
and unfortunate among us.

R.B.Bailey

Re: Vista SP1 won't uninstall
I set up restore points before I installed the SP, but they vanished after I
installed it.
Also, my wife has a japanese version of XP on another drive (mine is on D,
hers C), I was wondering if I could use her XP restore points?
R.B.

"C.B." wrote:

> "R.B.Bailey" <RBBailey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news6CF98C4-1FB7-4DFA-960C-59A8D54EFAF3@microsoft.com...
> > After I installed Vista SP1, my internet connections disappeared, my
> > Sidebar
> > doesn't work right, and other problems.
> > When I tried to uninstall SP1, It would log off, and complete(?) the first
> > two stages of the service pack uninstall.
> > Then the computer would reboot, complete the third and final stage...then
> > would get the message "Service pack did not uninstall, reverting changes"
> > I have tried five or six times to uninstall, with the same results. I read
> > somewhere to disable firewall and antivirius, make sure windows installer
> > is
> > enabled, then try it again. I don't have an internet connection anymore,
> > so I
> > will go one step further and uninstall my Norton Internet Security, then
> > try
> > these steps.
> > Does anyone else have any suggestions, besides a drive reformat?
> > --
> > R.B.

> Have you tried a System Restore?
>
> C.B.
>

> --
> It is the responsibility and duty of everyone to help the underprivileged
> and unfortunate among us.

TaurArian

Re: Vista SP1 won't uninstall
Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (All Languages)
Unlimited installation and compatibility support is available at no charge until March 18,
2009.
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...4&gprid=500921

Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available at
no charge through 18 Mar-09
.. US:
.. CA:
.. UK:
.. AU:
.. Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"R.B.Bailey" <RBBailey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news6CF98C4-1FB7-4DFA-960C-59A8D54EFAF3@microsoft.com...
| After I installed Vista SP1, my internet connections disappeared, my Sidebar
| doesn't work right, and other problems.
| When I tried to uninstall SP1, It would log off, and complete(?) the first
| two stages of the service pack uninstall.
| Then the computer would reboot, complete the third and final stage...then I
| would get the message "Service pack did not uninstall, reverting changes"
| I have tried five or six times to uninstall, with the same results. I read
| somewhere to disable firewall and antivirius, make sure windows installer is
| enabled, then try it again. I don't have an internet connection anymore, so I
| will go one step further and uninstall my Norton Internet Security, then try
| these steps.
| Does anyone else have any suggestions, besides a drive reformat?
| --
| R.B.

R.B.Bailey

Re: Vista SP1 won't uninstall
Thanks for the links, I'll give it a shot
--
R.B.