Printing problems with office XP

ljaves

Printing problems with office XP
Hi all! I need your help. I have a new HP laptop that came with windows
vista home premium, and I cannot get it to print any office XP word documents
or PDF files. What is really odd is that it registers the printer, shows
the ink available in each cartridge, and the printer will print my emails
from comcast. I loaded the newest drivers, updated everything. I am
stumped. Microsoft Vista will not print microsoft word documents. Can
anyone help with this?
--
Lauri L Javes
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Printing problems with office XP
On Mon, 5 May 2008 08:12:00 -0700, ljaves <ljaves@comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi all! I need your help. I have a new HP laptop that came with windows
> vista home premium, and I cannot get it to print any office XP word documents
> or PDF files. What is really odd is that it registers the printer, shows
> the ink available in each cartridge, and the printer will print my emails
> from comcast. I loaded the newest drivers, updated everything. I am
> stumped. Microsoft Vista will not print microsoft word documents. Can
> anyone help with this?

Please help us to help you. What does "will not print microsoft word
documents" mean? What happens when you try? If you get an error
message, please quote it verbatim.

What version of Word? When you go to the print dialog box, do you see
your printer listed there and choose it?

Does the problem occur only with Microsoft Word, or with other
Microsoft Office Applications?

For information on how to make a good newsgroup posting, read
http://www.dts-l.com/goodpost.htm and

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
ljaves

Re: Printing problems with office XP
When I try to print anything from my Office XP Word program or PDF files, it
registers as a number of documents to print for only a second and then it
goes back to zero. There are no error messages - it just goes away. I
would not even know if it registers if I did not have my printer dialog box
open. I can Print anything from my comcast email and no printing problems!
I have the printer set as my main one, so it always comes up first on the
print choices list - but I do check it anyway. I just tried powerpoint and
no luck. I am stumped. I even reinstalled the printer and updated drivers.
Any ideas?
--
Lauri L Javes

"Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:

> On Mon, 5 May 2008 08:12:00 -0700, ljaves <ljaves@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > Hi all! I need your help. I have a new HP laptop that came with windows
> > vista home premium, and I cannot get it to print any office XP word documents
> > or PDF files. What is really odd is that it registers the printer, shows
> > the ink available in each cartridge, and the printer will print my emails
> > from comcast. I loaded the newest drivers, updated everything. I am
> > stumped. Microsoft Vista will not print microsoft word documents. Can
> > anyone help with this?

> Please help us to help you. What does "will not print microsoft word
> documents" mean? What happens when you try? If you get an error
> message, please quote it verbatim.
>
> What version of Word? When you go to the print dialog box, do you see
> your printer listed there and choose it?
>
> Does the problem occur only with Microsoft Word, or with other
> Microsoft Office Applications?
>
> For information on how to make a good newsgroup posting, read
> http://www.dts-l.com/goodpost.htm and

> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Bender

Re: Printing problems with office XP
I had the same problem when I had the same printer installed but under two
different transfer methods, one for USB and the other for Network.
My print jobs would seem to go through, but then disappear from the print
job list.
I finally figured out that I had the wrong printer selected, the USB one
when the printer was now located on my Network instead.
It then worked fine.

"ljaves" <ljaves@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi all! I need your help. I have a new HP laptop that came with windows
> vista home premium, and I cannot get it to print any office XP word
> documents
> or PDF files. What is really odd is that it registers the printer, shows
> the ink available in each cartridge, and the printer will print my emails
> from comcast. I loaded the newest drivers, updated everything. I am
> stumped. Microsoft Vista will not print microsoft word documents. Can
> anyone help with this?
> --
> Lauri L Javes

ljaves

Re: Printing problems with office XP
Hi again. When looking at my printer choices, all I see is the USB one and
the PC-FAX one for my Brother Printer. I am networked with a linksys
router. How can I access the network printer as you stated.
--
Lauri L Javes

"Bender" wrote:

> I had the same problem when I had the same printer installed but under two
> different transfer methods, one for USB and the other for Network.
> My print jobs would seem to go through, but then disappear from the print
> job list.
> I finally figured out that I had the wrong printer selected, the USB one
> when the printer was now located on my Network instead.
> It then worked fine.
>
> "ljaves" <ljaves@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Hi all! I need your help. I have a new HP laptop that came with windows
> > vista home premium, and I cannot get it to print any office XP word
> > documents
> > or PDF files. What is really odd is that it registers the printer, shows
> > the ink available in each cartridge, and the printer will print my emails
> > from comcast. I loaded the newest drivers, updated everything. I am
> > stumped. Microsoft Vista will not print microsoft word documents. Can
> > anyone help with this?
> > --
> > Lauri L Javes

Bender

Re: Printing problems with office XP
I "Add Printer...".
I choose the "Add a local printer".
I then select "Create a new port" and select "Standard TCP/IP Port".
In the Hostname or IP address: I enter the IP address of my local network
printer, in my case its at 192.168.2.148.
I leave "Query the printer and automatically select the driver to use"
checked. Then click "Next".
A few moments later my printer driver is installed and I can print to the
printer.

> Hi again. When looking at my printer choices, all I see is the USB one
> and
> the PC-FAX one for my Brother Printer. I am networked with a linksys
> router. How can I access the network printer as you stated.
> --
> Lauri L Javes
>

> "Bender" wrote:
>
>> I had the same problem when I had the same printer installed but under
>> two
>> different transfer methods, one for USB and the other for Network.
>> My print jobs would seem to go through, but then disappear from the print
>> job list.
>> I finally figured out that I had the wrong printer selected, the USB one
>> when the printer was now located on my Network instead.
>> It then worked fine.
>>
>> "ljaves" <ljaves@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> > Hi all! I need your help. I have a new HP laptop that came with
>> > windows
>> > vista home premium, and I cannot get it to print any office XP word
>> > documents
>> > or PDF files. What is really odd is that it registers the printer,
>> > shows
>> > the ink available in each cartridge, and the printer will print my
>> > emails
>> > from comcast. I loaded the newest drivers, updated everything. I am
>> > stumped. Microsoft Vista will not print microsoft word documents.
>> > Can
>> > anyone help with this?
>> > --
>> > Lauri L Javes

ljaves

Re: Printing problems with office XP
I feel dumb but I have to ask: How do I locate my IP address. I know I have
seen it but I have no idea where.

Thank you so much. My other laptop just went down and now I have no way to
print so I need to get this working now.
--
Lauri L Javes

"Bender" wrote:

> I "Add Printer...".
> I choose the "Add a local printer".
> I then select "Create a new port" and select "Standard TCP/IP Port".
> In the Hostname or IP address: I enter the IP address of my local network
> printer, in my case its at 192.168.2.148.
> I leave "Query the printer and automatically select the driver to use"
> checked. Then click "Next".
> A few moments later my printer driver is installed and I can print to the
> printer.
>

> "ljaves" <ljaves@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Hi again. When looking at my printer choices, all I see is the USB one
> > and
> > the PC-FAX one for my Brother Printer. I am networked with a linksys
> > router. How can I access the network printer as you stated.
> > --
> > Lauri L Javes
> >

> > "Bender" wrote:
> >
> >> I had the same problem when I had the same printer installed but under
> >> two
> >> different transfer methods, one for USB and the other for Network.
> >> My print jobs would seem to go through, but then disappear from the print
> >> job list.
> >> I finally figured out that I had the wrong printer selected, the USB one
> >> when the printer was now located on my Network instead.
> >> It then worked fine.

Dave

Re: Printing problems with office XP
click on Start
type cmd in the start search box
press Enter
type ipconfig
press Enter

You should see something like...
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.111

Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

> I feel dumb but I have to ask: How do I locate my IP address. I know I
> have
> seen it but I have no idea where.
>
> Thank you so much. My other laptop just went down and now I have no way
> print so I need to get this working now.
> --
> Lauri L Javes
>

> "Bender" wrote:
>
>> I "Add Printer...".
>> I choose the "Add a local printer".
>> I then select "Create a new port" and select "Standard TCP/IP Port".
>> In the Hostname or IP address: I enter the IP address of my local network
>> printer, in my case its at 192.168.2.148.
>> I leave "Query the printer and automatically select the driver to use"
>> checked. Then click "Next".
>> A few moments later my printer driver is installed and I can print to the
>> printer.
>>

>> "ljaves" <ljaves@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> > Hi again. When looking at my printer choices, all I see is the USB one
>> > and
>> > the PC-FAX one for my Brother Printer. I am networked with a linksys
>> > router. How can I access the network printer as you stated.
>> > --
>> > Lauri L Javes

ljaves

Re: Printing problems with office XP
OK. I found my IP address and added it again as you instructed. It printed
1 word document. I went to print another page and it shows up for a couple
seconds and then it deletes itself from the printer queue. Same for pdf
files. But it will print when I print my comcast email message. How weird.
It worked once, then right back where I starated. Any ideas?
--
Lauri L Javes

"Bender" wrote:

> I "Add Printer...".
> I choose the "Add a local printer".
> I then select "Create a new port" and select "Standard TCP/IP Port".
> In the Hostname or IP address: I enter the IP address of my local network
> printer, in my case its at 192.168.2.148.
> I leave "Query the printer and automatically select the driver to use"
> checked. Then click "Next".
> A few moments later my printer driver is installed and I can print to the
> printer.
>

> "ljaves" <ljaves@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Hi again. When looking at my printer choices, all I see is the USB one
> > and
> > the PC-FAX one for my Brother Printer. I am networked with a linksys
> > router. How can I access the network printer as you stated.
> > --
> > Lauri L Javes
> >

> > "Bender" wrote:
> >
> >> I had the same problem when I had the same printer installed but under
> >> two
> >> different transfer methods, one for USB and the other for Network.
> >> My print jobs would seem to go through, but then disappear from the print
> >> job list.
> >> I finally figured out that I had the wrong printer selected, the USB one
> >> when the printer was now located on my Network instead.
> >> It then worked fine.

Paul

Re: Printing problems with office XP
Hi Lauri

I was wondering if you ever had any luck resolving your Word doc prnting
problem, as I have exactly the same problem where my Brother MFC-620CN
printer will no longer printout Word or other typeds of document such as
Excel.
(I have Office suite 2003)

My printer prints out MS Works documents and my emails though.

If you did resolve your problem I would be grateful if you could update your
post with the result, so that I may learn from it.

Regards,

Paul

pgard@btinternet.com
--