Unable to rename a folder

Lindyjes

Unable to rename a folder
Whan making a new folder and I want to rename it, I enter the name of the new
folder and hit enter. I then get an error responses file or folder does not
exist. I have gone into the properties of the Folder and have uncecked read
only, have appled the change and then clicked on ok, but it keeps on
defaulting to read only. Can anywone suggest a way of fixing this problem. I
am very frustrated by it not accepting the read/wirite change
t-4-2

Re: Unable to rename a folder

Lindyjes;701795 Wrote:
> Whan making a new folder and I want to rename it, I enter the name of
> the new
> folder and hit enter. I then get an error responses file or folder does
> not
> exist. I have gone into the properties of the Folder and have uncecked
> read
> only, have appled the change and then clicked on ok, but it keeps on
> defaulting to read only. Can anywone suggest a way of fixing this
> problem. I
> am very frustrated by it not accepting the read/wirite change

Hello, This might sound silly to you, but after you made the changes,
BEFORE you click OK, did you click APPLY first?

--
t-4-2
Lindyjes

Re: Unable to rename a folder

"t-4-2" wrote:

> Lindyjes;701795 Wrote:
> > Whan making a new folder and I want to rename it, I enter the name of
> > the new
> > folder and hit enter. I then get an error responses file or folder does
> > not
> > exist. I have gone into the properties of the Folder and have uncecked
> > read
> > only, have appled the change and then clicked on ok, but it keeps on
> > defaulting to read only. Can anywone suggest a way of fixing this
> > problem. I
> > am very frustrated by it not accepting the read/wirite change

> Hello, This might sound silly to you, but after you made the changes,
> BEFORE you click OK, did you click APPLY first?
>

> --
> t-4-2
> i clicked on apply first before clicking ok, and then opened the properties in my documents to find that it had defaulted to read only again

dgmacmi

Re: Unable to rename a folder
"Lindyjes" <Lindyjes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "t-4-2" wrote:
>

>> Lindyjes;701795 Wrote:
>> > Whan making a new folder and I want to rename it, I enter the name of
>> > the new
>> > folder and hit enter. I then get an error responses file or folder does
>> > not
>> > exist. I have gone into the properties of the Folder and have uncecked
>> > read
>> > only, have appled the change and then clicked on ok, but it keeps on
>> > defaulting to read only. Can anywone suggest a way of fixing this
>> > problem. I
>> > am very frustrated by it not accepting the read/wirite change

>> Hello, This might sound silly to you, but after you made the changes,
>> BEFORE you click OK, did you click APPLY first?
>>

>> --
>> t-4-2
>> i clicked on apply first before clicking ok, and then opened the
>> properties in my documents to find that it had defaulted to read only
>> again

In Vista and Windows XP all folders have the attribute Read Only enabled by
default for OS use. The folders are not read only. For folders just ignore
the read only attribute.

Verify. Check the properties of several other folders. You will find that
they are all marked read only.

Don

Brink

Re: Unable to rename a folder

Lindyjes;701795 Wrote:
> Whan making a new folder and I want to rename it, I enter the name of
> the new
> folder and hit enter. I then get an error responses file or folder does
> not
> exist. I have gone into the properties of the Folder and have uncecked
> read
> only, have appled the change and then clicked on ok, but it keeps on
> defaulting to read only. Can anywone suggest a way of fixing this
> problem. I
> am very frustrated by it not accepting the read/wirite change

Hi Lindyjes,

This tutorial may help you rename it.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/13...vista-fix.html

Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
SG

Re: Unable to rename a folder
t-4-2

Apply has nothing to do with it. The Apply button was designed for multiple
Tabs where one may make a change on one Tab then another then another and so
on. When you make a change on a single Tab and click OK it makes the change
right then and you close.

--
All the best,
SG

Is your computer system ready for Vista?
https://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/

"t-4-2" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Lindyjes;701795 Wrote:
>> Whan making a new folder and I want to rename it, I enter the name of
>> the new
>> folder and hit enter. I then get an error responses file or folder does
>> not
>> exist. I have gone into the properties of the Folder and have uncecked
>> read
>> only, have appled the change and then clicked on ok, but it keeps on
>> defaulting to read only. Can anywone suggest a way of fixing this
>> problem. I
>> am very frustrated by it not accepting the read/wirite change

> Hello, This might sound silly to you, but after you made the changes,
> BEFORE you click OK, did you click APPLY first?
>

> --
> t-4-2

t-4-2

Re: Unable to rename a folder

SG;702931 Wrote:
> t-4-2
>
> Apply has nothing to do with it. The Apply button was designed for
> multiple
> Tabs where one may make a change on one Tab then another then another
> and so
> on. When you make a change on a single Tab and click OK it makes the
> change
> right then and you close.
>

> --
> All the best,
> SG
>
> Is your computer system ready for Vista?
> https://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/
>
> "t-4-2" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
> news:a1118a6ad3327b433fd0e78d3d5695a2@xxxxxx-gateway.com...> > >
> > >
> > > Lindyjes;701795 Wrote:
> > > Hello, This might sound silly to you, but after you made the changes,
> > > BEFORE you click OK, did you click APPLY first?
> > >

> > > --
> > > t-4-2 > >

I see. Now I learn something. Thank you very much.

--
t-4-2
Otis

Re: Unable to rename a folder

Thanks for the fix. Worked with one reboot. Saved a lot of frustration.
Otis

--
Otis