help c drive is full

bettyboop

help c drive is full
hi i need help with my c drive it says i have 1% left ! i have used disk
cleanup and defag but it didn't help ,plus i remove programe ,cookies and
temp internet ,cani do a recovery using my backup files ? i only had this
computer for one year i need help bad thanks bettyboop
R. C. White

Re: help c drive is full
Hi, Betty.

It would help if you give us some numbers, even if they are only
approximate: How many hard drives? How big? How many partitions? How big
is Drive C:? Do you have backups, or room to back up your data somewhere?

Sometimes we can move stuff around enough to delete the volume following C:
and then extend C: into that space, but we can't suggest how to do that
without knowing a lot more about your current configuration.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"bettyboop" <bryant_merchandisse@msn.com> wrote in message
> hi i need help with my c drive it says i have 1% left ! i have used disk
> cleanup and defag but it didn't help ,plus i remove programe ,cookies and
> temp internet ,cani do a recovery using my backup files ? i only had this
> computer for one year i need help bad thanks bettyboop

bettyboop

Re: help c drive is full
hi r.c white
i have vista home version how many hard drivs thee is 1,how big ? not should
where to look ?, how many partions ? 2 i believe ,how big is c drive used
space 102 gb ,free space is 638 mb, and capacitys is 103 gb, yes it shows
backup that are zip folders 7 i hope this help can i do a backup or will i
lose everything ? well thanks bettyboop

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Betty.
>
> It would help if you give us some numbers, even if they are only
> approximate: How many hard drives? How big? How many partitions? How big
> is Drive C:? Do you have backups, or room to back up your data somewhere?
>
> Sometimes we can move stuff around enough to delete the volume following C:
> and then extend C: into that space, but we can't suggest how to do that
> without knowing a lot more about your current configuration.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1)
>
> "bettyboop" <bryant_merchandisse@msn.com> wrote in message
> > hi i need help with my c drive it says i have 1% left ! i have used disk
> > cleanup and defag but it didn't help ,plus i remove programe ,cookies and
> > temp internet ,cani do a recovery using my backup files ? i only had this
> > computer for one year i need help bad thanks bettyboop

bettyboop

Re: help c drive is full

i using 32 bit operating system e machine model w3609 3.33 ghz
"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Betty.
>
> It would help if you give us some numbers, even if they are only
> approximate: How many hard drives? How big? How many partitions? How big
> is Drive C:? Do you have backups, or room to back up your data somewhere?
>
> Sometimes we can move stuff around enough to delete the volume following C:
> and then extend C: into that space, but we can't suggest how to do that
> without knowing a lot more about your current configuration.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1)
>
> "bettyboop" <bryant_merchandisse@msn.com> wrote in message
> > hi i need help with my c drive it says i have 1% left ! i have used disk
> > cleanup and defag but it didn't help ,plus i remove programe ,cookies and
> > temp internet ,cani do a recovery using my backup files ? i only had this
> > computer for one year i need help bad thanks bettyboop

brummyfan

Re: help c drive is full

Hi bettyboob
Visit 'Windows Support Center' (http://www.aumha.org) and search for
"PC health" and look for "Take out the trash" section. HTH.

--
brummyfan
R. C. White

Re: help c drive is full
Hi, Betty.

Is this the computer that you have:
http://www.e4me.com/products/products.html?prod=W3609 ?

That looks like a good "starter" rig, except that 512 MB RAM is not really
enough for Vista, even Vista Home Basic. If you can, upgrade it to 1 GB; 2
GB would be much better.

That web page says it comes with "120GB SATA II (7200rpm, 2MB cache)". This
should be plenty for a starter system and should take a long time for most
users to fill it up. But graphics files, such as photos and especially
videos, take a lot of space and need to be managed - and you might want to
delete many of them. The one year you've had the computer is plenty of time
to have accumulated a lot of formerly Good Things that are now just useless
junk.

Different computer makers configure their products differently. My last
branded computer was in the 1980's (I've built my own since then), so I've
never had an eMachines (or a Dell or HP or IBM...) but many readers here
have eMachines and I hope they will chime in with helpful hints.

My understanding is that many computers come with 2 partitions on the hard
drive. Most of the disk is in Drive C:, which holds the operating system,
bundled applications, and everything else that the user needs to see; that
all takes maybe 20 GB, leaving about 100 GB of your 120 GB free for you to
use - and for the operating system to grow into. The second typical
partition is small and hidden from view and from normal use; it is usually
called something like the "recovery partition" and holds only the files that
the user might need if Drive C: gets so corrupted that the automated
recovery process must be run to wipe out all that the user has done and
saved and start over from scratch, just like the computer was in the box in
the store. Your user's manual should explain this.

Your post is hard to read because there is very little punctuation. I'm not
sure what you meant by, "it shows
backup that are zip folders 7". Could you please explain this.

My GUESS is that those are successive backups and all but the latest can be
deleted - but you'll need to verify that before deleting them. Can you tell
us the names of those folders and the files in them?

RC