Vista will not display web page correctly, XP OK.

Malcolm H

Vista will not display web page correctly, XP OK.
For years I have used a financial services website to monitor my investment
portfolio (www.moneyextra.com )

For years with Windows XP/IE6 and later with XP/IE7 everything worked (and
still works) perfectly.

I now have another machine running Vista Home Premium SP1 with IE7 which
will not work reliably with this website. When I view my portfolio, some of
the web pages are often incomplete - but sometimes they are complete.

I have tried using the MS User Agent String Utility to emulate IE6 but this
does not work predictably either. Sometimes when I use this utility the
website is incomplete - but when I subsequently open a new browser it is OK.
If I close and reopen the browser the fault usually reappears. The behavior
is unpredictable.

Clearly there is some incompatibility between my Vista/IE7 machine and this
website. The machine works normally with other websites and the website
works
correctly with my XP/IE7 machine.

I have also tried Firefox but interestingly this behaves in the same way as
IE7. I suppose this could be because when I installed Firefox I imported the
IE7 settings into Firefox? Or could be a Vista issue?

All advice/comment will be welcomed. I would really like to solve this
problem!

Malcolm H

TaurArian

Re: Vista will not display web page correctly, XP OK.
Perhaps you may receive more assistance from the experts in the IE Newsgroup -

For IE7 assistance -

Web interface -

Newsreader -

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org
======================================

"Malcolm H" <malcolmh@nospam.com> wrote in message
| For years I have used a financial services website to monitor my investment
| portfolio (www.moneyextra.com )
|
| For years with Windows XP/IE6 and later with XP/IE7 everything worked (and
| still works) perfectly.
|
| I now have another machine running Vista Home Premium SP1 with IE7 which
| will not work reliably with this website. When I view my portfolio, some of
| the web pages are often incomplete - but sometimes they are complete.
|
| I have tried using the MS User Agent String Utility to emulate IE6 but this
| does not work predictably either. Sometimes when I use this utility the
| website is incomplete - but when I subsequently open a new browser it is OK.
| If I close and reopen the browser the fault usually reappears. The behavior
| is unpredictable.
|
| Clearly there is some incompatibility between my Vista/IE7 machine and this
| website. The machine works normally with other websites and the website
| works
| correctly with my XP/IE7 machine.
|
| I have also tried Firefox but interestingly this behaves in the same way as
| IE7. I suppose this could be because when I installed Firefox I imported the
| IE7 settings into Firefox? Or could be a Vista issue?
|
| All advice/comment will be welcomed. I would really like to solve this
| problem!
|
| Malcolm H

Malcolm H

Re: Vista will not display web page correctly, XP OK.
I have already tried that - but without success, see:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5ef091c5 8dec

It does not appear to be an IE7 problem because XP/IE7 works fine and
Vista/Firefox displays the same problem. The common factor for the problem
appears to be Vista.

Malcolm H

"TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Perhaps you may receive more assistance from the experts in the IE
> Newsgroup -
>
> For IE7 assistance -
>
> Web interface -
>
> Newsreader -
>
> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>

> "Malcolm H" <malcolmh@nospam.com> wrote in message
> | For years I have used a financial services website to monitor my
> investment
> | portfolio (www.moneyextra.com )
> |
> | For years with Windows XP/IE6 and later with XP/IE7 everything worked
> (and
> | still works) perfectly.
> |
> | I now have another machine running Vista Home Premium SP1 with IE7 which
> | will not work reliably with this website. When I view my portfolio, some
> of
> | the web pages are often incomplete - but sometimes they are complete.
> |
> | I have tried using the MS User Agent String Utility to emulate IE6 but
> this
> | does not work predictably either. Sometimes when I use this utility the
> | website is incomplete - but when I subsequently open a new browser it is
> OK.
> | If I close and reopen the browser the fault usually reappears. The
> behavior
> | is unpredictable.
> |
> | Clearly there is some incompatibility between my Vista/IE7 machine and
> this
> | website. The machine works normally with other websites and the website
> | works
> | correctly with my XP/IE7 machine.
> |
> | I have also tried Firefox but interestingly this behaves in the same way
> as
> | IE7. I suppose this could be because when I installed Firefox I imported
> the
> | IE7 settings into Firefox? Or could be a Vista issue?
> |
> | All advice/comment will be welcomed. I would really like to solve this
> | problem!
> |
> | Malcolm H

Malke

Malcolm H wrote:

> For years I have used a financial services website to monitor my
> investment portfolio (www.moneyextra.com )
>
> For years with Windows XP/IE6 and later with XP/IE7 everything worked (and
> still works) perfectly.
>
> I now have another machine running Vista Home Premium SP1 with IE7 which
> will not work reliably with this website. When I view my portfolio, some
> of the web pages are often incomplete - but sometimes they are complete.
>
> I have tried using the MS User Agent String Utility to emulate IE6 but
> this does not work predictably either. Sometimes when I use this utility
> the website is incomplete - but when I subsequently open a new browser it
> is OK. If I close and reopen the browser the fault usually reappears. The
> behavior is unpredictable.
>
> Clearly there is some incompatibility between my Vista/IE7 machine and
> this website. The machine works normally with other websites and the
> website works
> correctly with my XP/IE7 machine.
>
> I have also tried Firefox but interestingly this behaves in the same way
> as IE7. I suppose this could be because when I installed Firefox I
> imported the IE7 settings into Firefox? Or could be a Vista issue?

Since you know the issue isn't with your browsers, you can do one more
troubleshooting step yourself - try to access the website from another
computer running Vista and see what happens. If the site looks fine, then
you know it's something on your machine. If the site looks bad on the test
Vista box, contact the webmaster of the site to let them know their
webpages don't work with Vista. If the latter, fixing it will be out of
your hands.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
Malcolm H

> Malcolm H wrote:
>
>> For years I have used a financial services website to monitor my
>> investment portfolio (www.moneyextra.com )
>>
>> For years with Windows XP/IE6 and later with XP/IE7 everything worked
>> (and
>> still works) perfectly.
>>
>> I now have another machine running Vista Home Premium SP1 with IE7 which
>> will not work reliably with this website. When I view my portfolio, some
>> of the web pages are often incomplete - but sometimes they are complete.
>>
>> I have tried using the MS User Agent String Utility to emulate IE6 but
>> this does not work predictably either. Sometimes when I use this utility
>> the website is incomplete - but when I subsequently open a new browser it
>> is OK. If I close and reopen the browser the fault usually reappears. The
>> behavior is unpredictable.
>>
>> Clearly there is some incompatibility between my Vista/IE7 machine and
>> this website. The machine works normally with other websites and the
>> website works
>> correctly with my XP/IE7 machine.
>>
>> I have also tried Firefox but interestingly this behaves in the same way
>> as IE7. I suppose this could be because when I installed Firefox I
>> imported the IE7 settings into Firefox? Or could be a Vista issue?

> Since you know the issue isn't with your browsers, you can do one more
> troubleshooting step yourself - try to access the website from another
> computer running Vista and see what happens. If the site looks fine, then
> you know it's something on your machine. If the site looks bad on the test
> Vista box, contact the webmaster of the site to let them know their
> webpages don't work with Vista. If the latter, fixing it will be out of
> your hands.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> Don't Panic!

Thank you for that Malke. Yes, I have accessed the website without problems
from another Vista computer, so presumably it is something on my machine.
But what? That is the question! I have checked the Internet security and
privacy etc. settings numerous times and can find nothing amiss. I haven't
definitely proved that the problem isn't with my browsers. When I installed
Firefox the Internet settings were copied from IE7. I wonder if there is
something wrong with one of these settings?

Another mystery is that the problem is not always present. If I repeatedly
open IE7, check the website and then close IE7, it works correctly about 2-3
times in every 10 tries. If the browser is working correctly and then I
click the 'refresh' icon, it usually refreshes to fault mode.

Could it conceivably be something amiss in the Vista installation. I have
thought about a complete Vista re-install but I would love to avoid this if
possible. I use the machine regularly and actively with various business and
multi-media applications, including Windows Media Center, and everything
seems to be stable and working correctly with the single exception of this
website. Very strange!!!

Are there any other thoughts?

Kerry Brown

Re: Vista will not display web page correctly, XP OK.
Try running IE in with No-addons.

All Programs => Accessories => System Tools.

Try temporarily disabling your security software. If you have Norton 360 try
turning off Transaction Security.

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

> [...]

> Another mystery is that the problem is not always present. If I repeatedly
> open IE7, check the website and then close IE7, it works correctly about
> 2-3 times in every 10 tries. If the browser is working correctly and then
> I click the 'refresh' icon, it usually refreshes to fault mode.
>
> Could it conceivably be something amiss in the Vista installation. I have
> thought about a complete Vista re-install but I would love to avoid this
> if possible. I use the machine regularly and actively with various
> business and multi-media applications, including Windows Media Center, and
> everything seems to be stable and working correctly with the single
> exception of this website. Very strange!!!
>
> Are there any other thoughts?

Malcolm H

Re: Vista will not display web page correctly, XP OK.
Thank you Kerry

1. I have tried running IE with no Add-ons. No improvement
2. I have tried disabling Windows firewall. No improvement
3. I use AVG Internet Security v.8 with firewall disabled. (see
http://www.grisoft.com/)

....and NOW we come to the breakthrough!!!

AVG v.8 has 12 security components, one of which is called 'Web Shield'.
After some experimentation I have discovered that this component is causing
the trouble. If I disable 'Web Shield' all is well!

It is easy to disable this component temporarily (when I want to use my
troublesome website) and then to enable it afterwards.

Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction!

I'm just so glad I didn't go throught the trauma of re-installing Vista and
then finding the problem was still there.

You are a Star! Thank you again...

Malcolm H

> Try running IE in with No-addons.
>
> All Programs => Accessories => System Tools.
>
> Try temporarily disabling your security software. If you have Norton 360
> try turning off Transaction Security.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/
>

> "Malcolm H" <malcolmh@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Malke" <malke@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

>>> Since you know the issue isn't with your browsers, you can do one more
>>> troubleshooting step yourself - try to access the website from another
>>> computer running Vista and see what happens. If the site looks fine,
>>> then
>>> you know it's something on your machine. If the site looks bad on the
>>> test
>>> Vista box, contact the webmaster of the site to let them know their
>>> webpages don't work with Vista. If the latter, fixing it will be out of
>>> your hands.
>>>
>>> Malke
>>> --
>>> MS-MVP
>>> Elephant Boy Computers
>>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>>> Don't Panic!

>> Thank you for that Malke. Yes, I have accessed the website without
>> problems from another Vista computer, so presumably it is something on my
>> machine. But what? That is the question! I have checked the Internet
>> security and privacy etc. settings numerous times and can find nothing
>> amiss. I haven't definitely proved that the problem isn't with my
>> browsers. When I installed Firefox the Internet settings were copied from
>> IE7. I wonder if there is something wrong with one of these settings?
>>
>> Another mystery is that the problem is not always present. If I
>> repeatedly open IE7, check the website and then close IE7, it works
>> correctly about 2-3 times in every 10 tries. If the browser is working
>> correctly and then I click the 'refresh' icon, it usually refreshes to
>> fault mode.
>>
>> Could it conceivably be something amiss in the Vista installation. I have
>> thought about a complete Vista re-install but I would love to avoid this
>> if possible. I use the machine regularly and actively with various
>> business and multi-media applications, including Windows Media Center,
>> and everything seems to be stable and working correctly with the single
>> exception of this website. Very strange!!!
>>
>> Are there any other thoughts?

Kerry Brown

Re: Vista will not display web page correctly, XP OK.
You're welcome. A lot of AV programs have similar features which cause
problems with some web sites.

--

> Thank you Kerry
>
> 1. I have tried running IE with no Add-ons. No improvement
> 2. I have tried disabling Windows firewall. No improvement
> 3. I use AVG Internet Security v.8 with firewall disabled. (see
> http://www.grisoft.com/)
>
> ...and NOW we come to the breakthrough!!!
>
> AVG v.8 has 12 security components, one of which is called 'Web Shield'.
> After some experimentation I have discovered that this component is
> causing the trouble. If I disable 'Web Shield' all is well!
>
> It is easy to disable this component temporarily (when I want to use my
> troublesome website) and then to enable it afterwards.
>
> Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction!
>
> I'm just so glad I didn't go throught the trauma of re-installing Vista
> and then finding the problem was still there.
>
> You are a Star! Thank you again...
>
> Malcolm H

>> Try running IE in with No-addons.
>>
>> All Programs => Accessories => System Tools.
>>
>> Try temporarily disabling your security software. If you have Norton 360
>> try turning off Transaction Security.
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
>> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/
>>

>> "Malcolm H" <malcolmh@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Malke" <malke@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

>>> Thank you for that Malke. Yes, I have accessed the website without
>>> problems from another Vista computer, so presumably it is something on
>>> my machine. But what? That is the question! I have checked the Internet
>>> security and privacy etc. settings numerous times and can find nothing
>>> amiss. I haven't definitely proved that the problem isn't with my
>>> browsers. When I installed Firefox the Internet settings were copied
>>> from IE7. I wonder if there is something wrong with one of these
>>> settings?
>>>
>>> Another mystery is that the problem is not always present. If I
>>> repeatedly open IE7, check the website and then close IE7, it works
>>> correctly about 2-3 times in every 10 tries. If the browser is working
>>> correctly and then I click the 'refresh' icon, it usually refreshes to
>>> fault mode.
>>>
>>> Could it conceivably be something amiss in the Vista installation. I
>>> have thought about a complete Vista re-install but I would love to avoid
>>> this if possible. I use the machine regularly and actively with various
>>> business and multi-media applications, including Windows Media Center,
>>> and everything seems to be stable and working correctly with the single
>>> exception of this website. Very strange!!!
>>>
>>> Are there any other thoughts?

C.B.

Re: Vista will not display web page correctly, XP OK.

"Malcolm H" <malcolmh@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Thank you Kerry
>
> 1. I have tried running IE with no Add-ons. No improvement
> 2. I have tried disabling Windows firewall. No improvement
> 3. I use AVG Internet Security v.8 with firewall disabled. (see
> http://www.grisoft.com/)
>
> ...and NOW we come to the breakthrough!!!
>
> AVG v.8 has 12 security components, one of which is called 'Web Shield'.
> After some experimentation I have discovered that this component is
> causing the trouble. If I disable 'Web Shield' all is well!
>
> It is easy to disable this component temporarily (when I want to use my
> troublesome website) and then to enable it afterwards.
>
> Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction!
>
> I'm just so glad I didn't go throught the trauma of re-installing Vista
> and then finding the problem was still there.
>
> You are a Star! Thank you again...
>
> Malcolm H

>> Try running IE in with No-addons.
>>
>> All Programs => Accessories => System Tools.
>>
>> Try temporarily disabling your security software. If you have Norton 360
>> try turning off Transaction Security.
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
>> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/
>>

>> "Malcolm H" <malcolmh@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Malke" <malke@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

>>> Thank you for that Malke. Yes, I have accessed the website without
>>> problems from another Vista computer, so presumably it is something on
>>> my machine. But what? That is the question! I have checked the Internet
>>> security and privacy etc. settings numerous times and can find nothing
>>> amiss. I haven't definitely proved that the problem isn't with my
>>> browsers. When I installed Firefox the Internet settings were copied
>>> from IE7. I wonder if there is something wrong with one of these
>>> settings?
>>>
>>> Another mystery is that the problem is not always present. If I
>>> repeatedly open IE7, check the website and then close IE7, it works
>>> correctly about 2-3 times in every 10 tries. If the browser is working
>>> correctly and then I click the 'refresh' icon, it usually refreshes to
>>> fault mode.
>>>
>>> Could it conceivably be something amiss in the Vista installation. I
>>> have thought about a complete Vista re-install but I would love to avoid
>>> this if possible. I use the machine regularly and actively with various
>>> business and multi-media applications, including Windows Media Center,
>>> and everything seems to be stable and working correctly with the single
>>> exception of this website. Very strange!!!
>>>
>>> Are there any other thoughts?

I can tell you from personal experience and feedback from AVG that Web
Shield is not compatible with Vista. AVG is currently working on the
problem.
There is also one additional component of AVG AntiVirus 8.0 that is
incompatible with Vista but I can't remember which one. AVG is working to
correct that one also. I had accepted the free upgrade from my AVG 7.5
AntiSpyware to AVG AntiVirus 8.0 but had to revert to AVG 7.5 AntiSpyware
because of these problems.
In any event, I'm glad you solved the problem.

C.B.

--
It is the responsibility and duty of everyone to help the underprivileged
and unfortunate among us.

sldobbo

Re: Vista will not display web page correctly, XP OK.

First of all thank you all because i was also having this problem and
was able to correct it after this. For any other user who might be using
an antivirus other than avg i would advise to check the same because i
found out that the web antivirus protection in my Kaspersky 7.0 was
causing this problem.. it seems not only AVG but all other antiviruses
has this conflict with Vista... once again thank you all

--
sldobbo