control panel

Kerryh1986

control panel
would anyone here know why, when i click on the option for my control panel,
it kind of flicks up then disappears again??
it's a toshiba laptop
Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: control panel
Hi Kerryh1986,

See if information in this KB helps:

Icons are missing from Control Panel, or you cannot start Control Panel, the Welcome Center, or games in Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936686

--
Regards,

Winhelponline.com blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog

"Kerryh1986" <Kerryh1986@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5A911C8F-0FA3-40AB-90A8-B25F245DFF09@microsoft.com...
would anyone here know why, when i click on the option for my control panel,
it kind of flicks up then disappears again??
it's a toshiba laptop
kerryh186

Re: control panel
they sent me a hot fix, but that did not work either?
someone else suggested i check my microsoft licensing was on automatic,
which it is
any other suggestions?

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi Kerryh1986,
>
> See if information in this KB helps:
>
> Icons are missing from Control Panel, or you cannot start Control Panel, the Welcome Center, or games in Windows Vista:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936686
>

> --
> Regards,

> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
> Winhelponline.com blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
>

> "Kerryh1986" <Kerryh1986@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5A911C8F-0FA3-40AB-90A8-B25F245DFF09@microsoft.com...
> would anyone here know why, when i click on the option for my control panel,
> it kind of flicks up then disappears again??
> it's a toshiba laptop

t-4-2

Re: control panel

Kerryh1986;690060 Wrote:
> would anyone here know why, when i click on the option for my control
> panel,
> it kind of flicks up then disappears again??
> it's a toshiba laptop

Hello Kerryh1986,
No suggestion yet, just a question. After "it kind of flicks up and
then disappears again", was there an error or restriction message ?

--
t-4-2
kerryh186

Re: control panel
no, nothing.
it just flickers up blank, then goes straight away.
the hotfix didn't work, and i've used one of those windows vista cleaner
things, but i still have the problem

"t-4-2" wrote:

> Kerryh1986;690060 Wrote:
> > would anyone here know why, when i click on the option for my control
> > panel,
> > it kind of flicks up then disappears again??
> > it's a toshiba laptop

> Hello Kerryh1986,
> No suggestion yet, just a question. After "it kind of flicks up and
> then disappears again", was there an error or restriction message ?
>

> --
> t-4-2

t-4-2

Re: control panel

kerryh186;691972 Wrote:
> no, nothing.
> it just flickers up blank, then goes straight away.
> the hotfix didn't work, and i've used one of those windows vista
> cleaner
> things, but i still have the problem
>
> "t-4-2" wrote:
> > > >

> > > Kerryh1986;690060 Wrote:
> > > Hello Kerryh1986,
> > > No suggestion yet, just a question. After "it kind of flicks up and
> > > then disappears again", was there an error or restriction message ?
> > >

> > > --
> > > t-4-2

Hello Kerryh,
What about good old fashioned system restore ? Make sure you will
choose a date Before this happened as your restore point.

--
t-4-2
t-4-2

Re: control panel

t-4-2;692000 Wrote:
> > kerryh186;691972 Wrote:
> > no, nothing.
> > it just flickers up blank, then goes straight away.
> > the hotfix didn't work, and i've used one of those windows vista
> > cleaner
> > things, but i still have the problem
> >
> > "t-4-2" wrote:
> > > >

> Hello Kerryh,
> What about good old fashioned system restore ? Make sure you will
> choose a date Before this happened as your restore point.

Hello Kerry h,
If system restore doesn't do any good, try this : -
Start menu> type Administrator tools on search box> highlight
administrator tools that appears at the top panel, right click> scroll
down till you see Services, right click, click Open> click Continue on
Prompt> scroll down till you see Software Licensing, highlight that,
look to left panel, click Restart the service> click Yes on restart
prompt.
Now try your control panel again. Does it work?

--
t-4-2
Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: control panel
Check the Event logs. Click Start, type eventvwr.msc and press ENTER. Check the Application and System logs to see if there are any crash info stored.

--

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi Kerryh1986,
>
> See if information in this KB helps:
>
> Icons are missing from Control Panel, or you cannot start Control Panel, the Welcome Center, or games in Windows Vista:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936686
>

> --
> Regards,

> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
> Winhelponline.com blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
>

> "Kerryh1986" <Kerryh1986@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5A911C8F-0FA3-40AB-90A8-B25F245DFF09@microsoft.com...
> would anyone here know why, when i click on the option for my control panel,
> it kind of flicks up then disappears again??
> it's a toshiba laptop

Trevor

Re: control panel
When I go to to event viewer it tells me is has not started. Where do I
start the applet?

TIA

Trevor

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi Kerryh1986,
>
> See if information in this KB helps:
>
> Icons are missing from Control Panel, or you cannot start Control Panel,
> the Welcome Center, or games in Windows Vista:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936686
>

> --
> Regards,

> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
> Winhelponline.com blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
>

> "Kerryh1986" <Kerryh1986@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> would anyone here know why, when i click on the option for my control
> panel,
> it kind of flicks up then disappears again??
> it's a toshiba laptop

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: control panel
Click Start, type "services.msc". Double-click "Windows Event Log" and set its Startup type to Automatic. Then click "Start" to start the service.