Vista freezing

snootyjim

Vista freezing
I just made a really long post about this which never got through after some
crazy redirects, so this might have to be a bit shorter...

Basically I had a lot of trouble with random freezes, unattributable to
thermal issues, and with CPU and RAM usage perfectly normal during the
freeze, no particular program using any resources above 1% sometimes. It
takes about 10 seconds to fully happen, and once that's done I get no
responsiveness from the keyboard or mouse. It only happens with Vista, not
XP, which is what makes it so strange. I gave up with Vista a long time ago
because of it, now I've come back with the addition of SP1, and I'm still
facing exactly the same problem.

My windows version is Ultimate x64 SP1, with a PC about 6 months old,
installed on a RAID 0 array with 2gb ram and a core 2 duo.

If anybody could assist I would be most grateful
MickyB

RE: Vista freezing
Yep ive got exactly the same problem.

"snootyjim" wrote:

> I just made a really long post about this which never got through after some
> crazy redirects, so this might have to be a bit shorter...
>
> Basically I had a lot of trouble with random freezes, unattributable to
> thermal issues, and with CPU and RAM usage perfectly normal during the
> freeze, no particular program using any resources above 1% sometimes. It
> takes about 10 seconds to fully happen, and once that's done I get no
> responsiveness from the keyboard or mouse. It only happens with Vista, not
> XP, which is what makes it so strange. I gave up with Vista a long time ago
> because of it, now I've come back with the addition of SP1, and I'm still
> facing exactly the same problem.
>
> My windows version is Ultimate x64 SP1, with a PC about 6 months old,
> installed on a RAID 0 array with 2gb ram and a core 2 duo.
>
> If anybody could assist I would be most grateful

C.B.

Re: Vista freezing
You've been given the proper advice. Take it back to where you bought it and
let them fix it.

C.B.

--
It is the responsibility and duty of everyone to help the underprivileged
and unfortunate among us.

"MickyB" <MickyB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yep ive got exactly the same problem.
>
> "snootyjim" wrote:
>
>> I just made a really long post about this which never got through after
>> some
>> crazy redirects, so this might have to be a bit shorter...
>>
>> Basically I had a lot of trouble with random freezes, unattributable to
>> thermal issues, and with CPU and RAM usage perfectly normal during the
>> freeze, no particular program using any resources above 1% sometimes. It
>> takes about 10 seconds to fully happen, and once that's done I get no
>> responsiveness from the keyboard or mouse. It only happens with Vista,
>> not
>> XP, which is what makes it so strange. I gave up with Vista a long time
>> ago
>> because of it, now I've come back with the addition of SP1, and I'm still
>> facing exactly the same problem.
>>
>> My windows version is Ultimate x64 SP1, with a PC about 6 months old,
>> installed on a RAID 0 array with 2gb ram and a core 2 duo.
>>
>> If anybody could assist I would be most grateful

Ron

Re: Vista freezing
Ditto. Same problem. My second time around testing vista ultimate 64 bit
with a dual boot system. Also somewhat disappointed in the speed/performance
of vista 64 bit compared to XP Pro 64 bit.

I have the latest motherboard/8gb ram/and a intel quad 6700.

Not happy about vista 64 bit at all!!

"MickyB" <MickyB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yep ive got exactly the same problem.
>
> "snootyjim" wrote:
>
>> I just made a really long post about this which never got through after
>> some
>> crazy redirects, so this might have to be a bit shorter...
>>
>> Basically I had a lot of trouble with random freezes, unattributable to
>> thermal issues, and with CPU and RAM usage perfectly normal during the
>> freeze, no particular program using any resources above 1% sometimes. It
>> takes about 10 seconds to fully happen, and once that's done I get no
>> responsiveness from the keyboard or mouse. It only happens with Vista,
>> not
>> XP, which is what makes it so strange. I gave up with Vista a long time
>> ago
>> because of it, now I've come back with the addition of SP1, and I'm still
>> facing exactly the same problem.
>>
>> My windows version is Ultimate x64 SP1, with a PC about 6 months old,
>> installed on a RAID 0 array with 2gb ram and a core 2 duo.
>>
>> If anybody could assist I would be most grateful

snootyjim

Re: Vista freezing
No chance of taking it back, it's a self-built machine.

It's just frustrating, and makes absolutely no sense at all.

"C.B." wrote:

> You've been given the proper advice. Take it back to where you bought it and
> let them fix it.
>
> C.B.
>

> --
> It is the responsibility and duty of everyone to help the underprivileged
> and unfortunate among us.
>
> "MickyB" <MickyB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yep ive got exactly the same problem.
> >
> > "snootyjim" wrote:
> >
> >> I just made a really long post about this which never got through after
> >> some
> >> crazy redirects, so this might have to be a bit shorter...
> >>
> >> Basically I had a lot of trouble with random freezes, unattributable to
> >> thermal issues, and with CPU and RAM usage perfectly normal during the
> >> freeze, no particular program using any resources above 1% sometimes. It
> >> takes about 10 seconds to fully happen, and once that's done I get no
> >> responsiveness from the keyboard or mouse. It only happens with Vista,
> >> not
> >> XP, which is what makes it so strange. I gave up with Vista a long time
> >> ago
> >> because of it, now I've come back with the addition of SP1, and I'm still
> >> facing exactly the same problem.
> >>
> >> My windows version is Ultimate x64 SP1, with a PC about 6 months old,
> >> installed on a RAID 0 array with 2gb ram and a core 2 duo.
> >>
> >> If anybody could assist I would be most grateful

comphulk

Re: Vista freezing

Then just switch back to XP. Personally I don't have any Vista problems
whatsoever, but Vista can be buggy like crap sometimes.

--
comphulk