Desktop still black and can't change it back, any help would be appreciated

jponebox

Desktop still black and can't change it back, any help would be appreciated

Hi,
I recently shutdown and restarted my laptop, and my desktop came up
black, and I can't get it to change back to my regular desktop. Here's
what I've done:

1-Searched and searched for an answer
2-Right clicked to Personalize/desktop background/blah blah...no change
3-Downloaded Wallpaper_enable.reg and ran as admin etc, blah blah...no
change
4-Oh yeah, scanned with AVG, Malwarebyte's thing...nothing shows
5-Ran autoruns to see if I could spot anything...didn't change anything
6-Ran hijackthis...still looking at it
7-Here I am

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. My thought is that I had
removed spyware but didn't restart? ( I might have been tired)...I was
so used to just hibernating my system...when I shutdown & restarted
yesterday, a reg file was changed, and my desktop went to crapland. i
know it's just cosmetic (I hope) but I guess I'm funny that way.

Thanks, thanks, thanks

-Jim

--
jponebox
garysgold

Re: Desktop still black and can't change it back, any help would be appreciated

jponebox;688747 Wrote:
> Hi,
> I recently shutdown and restarted my laptop, and my desktop came up
> black, and I can't get it to change back to my regular desktop. Here's
> what I've done:
>
> 1-Searched and searched for an answer
> 2-Right clicked to Personalize/desktop background/blah blah...no change
> 3-Downloaded Wallpaper_enable.reg and ran as admin etc, blah blah...no
> change
> 4-Oh yeah, scanned with AVG, Malwarebyte's thing...nothing shows
> 5-Ran autoruns to see if I could spot anything...didn't change anything
> 6-Ran hijackthis...still looking at it
> 7-Here I am
>
> Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. My thought is that I had
> removed spyware but didn't restart? ( I might have been tired)...I was
> so used to just hibernating my system...when I shutdown & restarted
> yesterday, a reg file was changed, and my desktop went to crapland. i
> know it's just cosmetic (I hope) but I guess I'm funny that way.
>
> Thanks, thanks, thanks
>
> -Jim

Hi Jim,
Try Control Panel (classic)/Ease of Access/Make Computer Easier to See.
Down near the bottom make sure 'Remove Background Images' is unchecked.

Hope that works for you.
Gary

--
garysgold

Vista Home Premium SP1
Q6600 Quad Core 2.40 GHz
4 GB Ram 800 MHz
Nvidia 8600GTS 256MB
500 GB HD
Exp. Index=5.5
jponebox

garysgold;688761 Wrote:
> > jponebox;688747 Wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I recently shutdown and restarted my laptop, and my desktop came up
> > black, and I can't get it to change back to my regular desktop. Here's
> > what I've done:
> >
> > 1-Searched and searched for an answer
> > 2-Right clicked to Personalize/desktop background/blah blah...no change
> > 3-Downloaded Wallpaper_enable.reg and ran as admin etc, blah blah...no
> > change
> > 4-Oh yeah, scanned with AVG, Malwarebyte's thing...nothing shows
> > 5-Ran autoruns to see if I could spot anything...didn't change anything
> > 6-Ran hijackthis...still looking at it
> > 7-Here I am
> >
> > Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. My thought is that I had
> > removed spyware but didn't restart? ( I might have been tired)...I was
> > so used to just hibernating my system...when I shutdown & restarted
> > yesterday, a reg file was changed, and my desktop went to crapland. i
> > know it's just cosmetic (I hope) but I guess I'm funny that way.
> >
> > Thanks, thanks, thanks
> >
> > -Jim> >

> Hi Jim,
> Try Control Panel (classic)/Ease of Access/Make Computer Easier to
> See. Down near the bottom make sure 'Remove Background Images' is
> unchecked.
>
> Hope that works for you.
> Gary

Hey Gary, yeah I forgot to add that. I tried that and made sure it was
unchecked and it is unchecked. Desktop still won't allow me to change it
back or use any picture or wallpaper for the background.

Thanks for the reply.
-Jim

--
jponebox
t-4-2

jponebox;689100 Wrote:
> > garysgold;688761 Wrote:
> >

> > Hi Jim,
> > Try Control Panel (classic)/Ease of Access/Make Computer Easier to See.
> > Down near the bottom make sure 'Remove Background Images' is unchecked.
> >
> > Hope that works for you.
> > Gary> >

> Hey Gary, yeah I forgot to add that. I tried that and made sure it
> was unchecked and it is unchecked. Desktop still won't allow me to
> change it back or use any picture or wallpaper for the background.
>
> Thanks for the reply.
> -Jim

Hello Jim,
Perhaps an old fashioned system restore is in order ?

--
t-4-2
jponebox

t-4-2;689102 Wrote:
> > jponebox;689100 Wrote:
> >

> > Hey Gary, yeah I forgot to add that. I tried that and made sure it was
> > unchecked and it is unchecked. Desktop still won't allow me to change it
> > back or use any picture or wallpaper for the background.
> >
> > Thanks for the reply.
> > -Jim> >

> Hello Jim,
> Perhaps an old fashioned system restore is in order ?

Yeah..I tried that also, but on startup, my old restore points were
deleted. So I had no option to go back to a previous restore point
beyond the initial shutdown/reboot.
Thanks for the reply,
-Jim

--
jponebox
t-4-2

jponebox;689113 Wrote:
> > t-4-2;689102 Wrote:
> >
> > Hello Jim,
> > Perhaps an old fashioned system restore is in order ?> >

> Yeah..I tried that also, but on startup, my old restore points were
> deleted. So I had no option to go back to a previous restore point
> beyond the initial shutdown/reboot.
> Thanks for the reply,
> -Jim

Hello Jim,
I meant system restore in Safe Mode. Also if you have another admin
account, logon to it in safe mode, system restore.

--
t-4-2
t-4-2

t-4-2;689132 Wrote:
> > jponebox;689113 Wrote:
> >

> > Yeah..I tried that also, but on startup, my old restore points were
> > deleted. So I had no option to go back to a previous restore point
> > beyond the initial shutdown/reboot.
> > Thanks for the reply,
> > -Jim> >

> Hello Jim,
> I meant system restore in Safe Mode. Also if you have another admin
> account, logon to it in safe mode, system restore.

your old admin account might be infected.

--
t-4-2
jponebox

t-4-2;689145 Wrote:
> > t-4-2;689132 Wrote:
> >
> > Hello Jim,
> > I meant system restore in Safe Mode. Also if you have another admin
> > account, logon to it in safe mode, system restore.> >

> your old admin account might be infected.

I just tried it in safe mode also...same result.
And i don't have another admin acct on this laptop

-Jim

--
jponebox
PaulM

Re: Desktop still black and can't change it back, any help would be appreciated
Will this help:

The Windows Vista desktop appears black after you enable the "Hide and
disable all items on the desktop" policy setting or the "Disable all items"
policy setting
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934008

www.paulsxp.com
www.paulsxp.com/forum

"jponebox" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> t-4-2;689145 Wrote:
>> > t-4-2;689132 Wrote:
>> >
>> > Hello Jim,
>> > I meant system restore in Safe Mode. Also if you have another admin
>> > account, logon to it in safe mode, system restore.> >

>> your old admin account might be infected.

> I just tried it in safe mode also...same result.
> And i don't have another admin acct on this laptop
>
> -Jim
>

> --
> jponebox

t-4-2

jponebox;689166 Wrote:
> > t-4-2;689145 Wrote:
> >
> > your old admin account might be infected.> >

> I just tried it in safe mode also...same result.
> And i don't have another admin acct on this laptop
>
> -Jim

Hello Jim,
If Paul's method works, you don't need me. If it doesn't, I give you my
last trick :
1.) Start your machine in SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPTS
2.) Log on to your own admin account
3.) Use the link below to enable the real built-in admin.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...r-account.html

4.) Exit safe mode. Back to normal mode.
5.) Logon to the new built-in admin account. Screen back to normal ??

--
t-4-2