Antivirus

Petey

Antivirus
Does anybody out there know if there's a free antivirus app that works with
Vista? My Norton subscription ran out and don't think Norton is worth what
Symantec charges. I know Computer Associates had a very good app for winxp,
can't seem to find the same for Vista. Any help is greatl appreciated.
thx
PC

Bob

Re: Antivirus
AVG http://free.grisoft.com/ or Avast
-------
*Report back, please*

"Petey" <lipc@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Does anybody out there know if there's a free antivirus app that works
> with Vista? My Norton subscription ran out and don't think Norton is
> worth what Symantec charges. I know Computer Associates had a very good
> app for winxp, can't seem to find the same for Vista. Any help is greatl
> appreciated.
> thx
> PC

Malke

Re: Antivirus
Petey wrote:

> Does anybody out there know if there's a free antivirus app that works
> with
> Vista? My Norton subscription ran out and don't think Norton is worth
> what
> Symantec charges. I know Computer Associates had a very good app for
> winxp,
> can't seem to find the same for Vista. Any help is greatl appreciated.
> thx
> PC

Avast works well with Vista and they have a free version.

For "paid-for" antivirus programs, my favorite is NOD32 and it is $39.99 for
a one-year subscription for home users. No, I don't work for them or make
any money by suggesting them; I just very much like their products. But
Avast will do fine if you want free.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
John Barnett MVP

Re: Antivirus
AVG Anti Virus (http://free.grisoft.com) is the one I prefer. You could also
use Avast! (www.avast.com) but the interface isn't as user friendly as that
of AVG.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Petey" <lipc@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Does anybody out there know if there's a free antivirus app that works
> with Vista? My Norton subscription ran out and don't think Norton is
> worth what Symantec charges. I know Computer Associates had a very good
> app for winxp, can't seem to find the same for Vista. Any help is greatl
> appreciated.
> thx
> PC

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Antivirus
"Petey" <lipc@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Does anybody out there know if there's a free antivirus app that works
> with Vista? My Norton subscription ran out and don't think Norton is
> worth what Symantec charges. I know Computer Associates had a very good
> app for winxp, can't seem to find the same for Vista. Any help is greatl
> appreciated.
> thx
> PC

Of the three free Vista compatible solutions I have tried, AVG, Avast, and
AntiVir, AVG appears to be the least intrusive and easiest to work with..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Ken Blake

Re: Antivirus
"Petey" <lipc@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> Does anybody out there know if there's a free antivirus app that works
> with Vista? My Norton subscription ran out and don't think Norton is
> worth what Symantec charges.

I'll be stronger than that. I don't think Norton is worth anything. It's the
worst product on the market.

I recommend the free Avast!

I know Computer Associates had a very good app for winxp,
> can't seem to find the same for Vista. Any help is greatl appreciated.
> thx
> PC

Flipz

Re: Antivirus
AVG antivirus is free and works great with vista. Do a google search for
free AVG.

"Petey" <lipc@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Does anybody out there know if there's a free antivirus app that works
> with Vista? My Norton subscription ran out and don't think Norton is
> worth what Symantec charges. I know Computer Associates had a very good
> app for winxp, can't seem to find the same for Vista. Any help is greatl
> appreciated.
> thx
> PC

John Barnett MVP

Re: Antivirus
I agree, Ken. Norton was great when Windows 95/98 was around but since then
it has gone in decline. I certainly wouldn't use it or recommend Norton.

> "Petey" <lipc@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>
>> Does anybody out there know if there's a free antivirus app that works
>> with Vista? My Norton subscription ran out and don't think Norton is
>> worth what Symantec charges.

> I'll be stronger than that. I don't think Norton is worth anything. It's
> the worst product on the market.
>
> I recommend the free Avast!
>

> I know Computer Associates had a very good app for winxp,
>> can't seem to find the same for Vista. Any help is greatl appreciated.
>> thx
>> PC

David P.

Re: Antivirus
May I toss in a vote for BitDefender Antivirus 2008. It works well on Vista
and has received high marks on some reviews that I've read. It isn't free
but is inexpensive: $24.95 for one user for a year or $29.95 for three
users for a year.

> "Petey" <lipc@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>
>> Does anybody out there know if there's a free antivirus app that works
>> with Vista? My Norton subscription ran out and don't think Norton is
>> worth what Symantec charges.

> I'll be stronger than that. I don't think Norton is worth anything. It's
> the worst product on the market.
>
> I recommend the free Avast!
>

> I know Computer Associates had a very good app for winxp,
>> can't seem to find the same for Vista. Any help is greatl appreciated.
>> thx
>> PC

Bob

Re: Antivirus
Ken Norton was great. He is one of the few to beat Muhammad Ali.
Even broke Ali's jaw.

"John Barnett MVP" <freelance@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>I agree, Ken. Norton was great when Windows 95/98 was around but since then
>it has gone in decline. I certainly wouldn't use it or recommend Norton.

> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows Desktop Experience
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
> for
> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
> the
> mail/post..

>> "Petey" <lipc@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>
>>> Does anybody out there know if there's a free antivirus app that works
>>> with Vista? My Norton subscription ran out and don't think Norton is
>>> worth what Symantec charges.

>> I'll be stronger than that. I don't think Norton is worth anything. It's
>> the worst product on the market.
>>
>> I recommend the free Avast!
>>

>> I know Computer Associates had a very good app for winxp,
>>> can't seem to find the same for Vista. Any help is greatl appreciated.
>>> thx
>>> PC