Blue Screen, seems random

Quisto

Blue Screen, seems random
I bought this computer on 3-5-08. This started on 3-16-08 and has occurred
about 1x - 3x per day since then. I have tried system restore, several
times, back as far as I could go, but it didn't help. I have also ran all of
the diagonstic tools I can find on my computer and it has passed them. (By
the way, I am not very computer savvy.)

Here is one examples of what it is telling me:

#1- Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 100000b8
BCP1: 803D51E0
BCP2: 84E9C758
BCP3: 803ED000
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

The other shut-downs had different BCP numbers, but the BCCode was always
100000b8.

I have difficulty downloading due to my dial-up connection. I will be
getting satellite internet in a couple of weeks.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do. Otherwise, I may throw
this computer over the back balcony. Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob

Re: Blue Screen, seems random

Which firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware or security suite is installed?
There are some that cause problems which don’t always appear immediately.
-------
*Report back, please*

"Quisto" <Quisto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I bought this computer on 3-5-08. This started on 3-16-08 and has occurred
> about 1x - 3x per day since then. I have tried system restore, several
> times, back as far as I could go, but it didn't help. I have also ran all
> of
> the diagonstic tools I can find on my computer and it has passed them.
> (By
> the way, I am not very computer savvy.)
>
> Here is one examples of what it is telling me:
>
> #1- Problem signature
> Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
> OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
> Locale ID: 1033
>
> Extra information about the problem
> BCCode: 100000b8
> BCP1: 803D51E0
> BCP2: 84E9C758
> BCP3: 803ED000
> BCP4: 00000000
> OS Version: 6_0_6001
> Service Pack: 1_0
> Product: 768_1
>
> The other shut-downs had different BCP numbers, but the BCCode was always
> 100000b8.
>
> I have difficulty downloading due to my dial-up connection. I will be
> getting satellite internet in a couple of weeks.
>
> Please let me know if there is anything I can do. Otherwise, I may throw
> this computer over the back balcony. Thanks in advance for your help.

Malke

Re: Blue Screen, seems random
Quisto wrote:

> I bought this computer on 3-5-08. This started on 3-16-08 and has
> occurred
> about 1x - 3x per day since then. I have tried system restore, several
> times, back as far as I could go, but it didn't help. I have also ran all
> of
> the diagonstic tools I can find on my computer and it has passed them.
> (By the way, I am not very computer savvy.)
>
> Here is one examples of what it is telling me:
>
> #1- Problem signature
> Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
> OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
> Locale ID: 1033
>
> Extra information about the problem
> BCCode: 100000b8
> BCP1: 803D51E0
> BCP2: 84E9C758
> BCP3: 803ED000
> BCP4: 00000000
> OS Version: 6_0_6001
> Service Pack: 1_0
> Product: 768_1
>
> The other shut-downs had different BCP numbers, but the BCCode was always
> 100000b8.
>
> I have difficulty downloading due to my dial-up connection. I will be
> getting satellite internet in a couple of weeks.

Since you've only had the computer for roughly a month, back up any data and
return the machine to factory condition using whatever method your laptop
mftr. has provided.

Then go to the laptop mftr.'s tech support website and update all drivers
and the BIOS (if a BIOS update is available).

If the machine now works well, add back any programs you installed one at a
time and test after each addition to see if something you are adding is
causing the issue.

If the machine does not work well, then return it immediately for
replacement since there is a hardware faulty and the laptop is new and
under warranty.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
Laura

Re: Blue Screen, seems random
Malke,
I have the same problem, my computer reboots, and it started right about the
same time as Quisto's. But I've had my computer since July 2007, and haven't
had any problems until March. Why would mine start suddenly around the same
time if it was a hardware problem? I also tried system restores to before
the problem started, without luck.

> Quisto wrote:
>
>> I bought this computer on 3-5-08. This started on 3-16-08 and has
>> occurred
>> about 1x - 3x per day since then. I have tried system restore, several
>> times, back as far as I could go, but it didn't help. I have also ran all
>> of
>> the diagonstic tools I can find on my computer and it has passed them.
>> (By the way, I am not very computer savvy.)
>>
>> Here is one examples of what it is telling me:
>>
>> #1- Problem signature
>> Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
>> OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
>> Locale ID: 1033
>>
>> Extra information about the problem
>> BCCode: 100000b8
>> BCP1: 803D51E0
>> BCP2: 84E9C758
>> BCP3: 803ED000
>> BCP4: 00000000
>> OS Version: 6_0_6001
>> Service Pack: 1_0
>> Product: 768_1
>>
>> The other shut-downs had different BCP numbers, but the BCCode was always
>> 100000b8.
>>
>> I have difficulty downloading due to my dial-up connection. I will be
>> getting satellite internet in a couple of weeks.
>>

> Since you've only had the computer for roughly a month, back up any data
> and
> return the machine to factory condition using whatever method your laptop
> mftr. has provided.
>
> Then go to the laptop mftr.'s tech support website and update all drivers
> and the BIOS (if a BIOS update is available).
>
> If the machine now works well, add back any programs you installed one at
> time and test after each addition to see if something you are adding is
> causing the issue.
>
> If the machine does not work well, then return it immediately for
> replacement since there is a hardware faulty and the laptop is new and
> under warranty.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> Don't Panic!

Malke

Re: Blue Screen, seems random
Laura wrote:

> Malke,
> I have the same problem, my computer reboots, and it started right about
> the same time as Quisto's. But I've had my computer since July 2007, and
> haven't had any problems until March. Why would mine start suddenly around
> the same time if it was a hardware problem? I also tried system restores
> to before the problem started, without luck.

I have no idea and unless you have the exact same machine, with the exact
same hardware and software, as the OP's, you don't have the exact same
problem. Make a new post with your own details instead of injecting your
issue into someone else's thread (called "hijacking"). I am not saying this
to hurt your feelings but rather to help you get the assistance you want.
Hijacking a thread just makes it difficult to help either the Original
Poster or the hijacker.

How to Post:

If you've already made a post in a separate thread and aren't getting
answers, review the links above to see if that is possibly why not.

If you still aren't getting satisfactory answers here, then you always have
the option of taking the machine to a competent local computer professional
(not a BigComputerStore/GeekSquad type of place).

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Don't Panic!
Laura

Re: Blue Screen, seems random
I did start my own thread, but no one has responded to help, and I honestly
thought that it was pertinent to this thread that I have the same exact
problem that started approximately the same time, which is much more than a
coincidence I think.

> Laura wrote:
>
>> Malke,
>> I have the same problem, my computer reboots, and it started right about
>> the same time as Quisto's. But I've had my computer since July 2007, and
>> haven't had any problems until March. Why would mine start suddenly
>> around
>> the same time if it was a hardware problem? I also tried system restores
>> to before the problem started, without luck.

> I have no idea and unless you have the exact same machine, with the exact
> same hardware and software, as the OP's, you don't have the exact same
> problem. Make a new post with your own details instead of injecting your
> issue into someone else's thread (called "hijacking"). I am not saying
> this
> to hurt your feelings but rather to help you get the assistance you want.
> Hijacking a thread just makes it difficult to help either the Original
> Poster or the hijacker.
>
> How to Post:
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Usenet
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375 - How to Ask a
> Question
>
> If you've already made a post in a separate thread and aren't getting
> answers, review the links above to see if that is possibly why not.
>
> If you still aren't getting satisfactory answers here, then you always
> have
> the option of taking the machine to a competent local computer
> professional
> (not a BigComputerStore/GeekSquad type of place).
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> Don't Panic!

Quisto

Re: Blue Screen, seems random
This is what I was able to find. I hope it is the right information:

Firewall:
Norton Internet Security On
Windows Firewall Off

Anti-virus:
Norton Internet Security is up to date and virus scanning is on.

Spyware/Malware:
Windows Defender and Norton Internet Security both report that they are
turned on.

Thanks for you help.

"Bob" wrote:

> Which firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware or security suite is installed?
> There are some that cause problems which don’t always appear immediately.
> -------
> *Report back, please*

Bob

Re: Blue Screen, seems random
Norton is likely causing your problem.
Replace Norton with the free AVG http://free.grisoft.com/ or Avast
Defender. Disabling Norton is not enough. You need to completely uninstall
it. If it doesn't solve the problem, get rid of Norton anyway. Norton is
known to cause many problems which don’t always appear immediately.
Download and run the Norton Removal Tool.
-------

> This is what I was able to find. I hope it is the right information:
>
> Firewall:
> Norton Internet Security On
> Windows Firewall Off
>
> Anti-virus:
> Norton Internet Security is up to date and virus scanning is on.
>
> Spyware/Malware:
> Windows Defender and Norton Internet Security both report that they are
> turned on.
>
> Thanks for you help.
>

> "Bob" wrote:
>

>> Which firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware or security suite is installed?
>> There are some that cause problems which don’t always appear immediately.
>> -------
>> *Report back, please*

Quisto

Re: Blue Screen, seems random
I just wanted to let you know that I did "Recover Factory Settings" and am
working on getting everything up and running again.

Due to my slow internet connection, it takes a ridiculous amount of time to
do anything. So far I have been downloading for over 18 hours and all I have
accomplished is putting internet back on and getting my virus protection up
to date. I will be working on the drivers and BIOS after I finish this post.

Thanks so much for your help. I will let you know what happens!