Strange error

Atebash

Strange error

Greetings. I've been fighting this problem for last 3 days and gave up.
You may have had an experience with it before so I am giving a shot to
this group

I have Vista Ultimate x86 working on

'Gigabyte P35-DS3P'
(http://tw.giga-byte.com/Products/Mot...ProductID=2747)
'Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo 3.0'
(http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SLAPL)
'OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 / 800MHz / Titanium XTC'
(http://www.ocztechnology.com/product...n_dual_channel),
2x2GB
'Gigabyte HD3870 GV-RX387512H-B'
(http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/...GV-RX387512H-B)
'Western Digital 500AAKS'
(http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=301) x2, 1 TB
total
'Thermaltake Toughpower 600W'
(http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/produc...0103/w0103.asp)
Sound Blaster Audigy SE

Vista score: 5.6 (HDD at 5.6, the rest is rated with 5.9)

All was working more than great for last 2 weeks (that is when I built
and installed it), but last 2 days I've experienced a strange problem.
At completely random times my mouse stops responding (Logitech MX500),
the sound gets bad and overall performance drops a bit. After restart
eveything works fine. Also, I noticed that if I unplug and plug the
mouse back into USB port it starts working fine again, but the sound
problem remains.

I tried opening an MP3 file and that hangs WinAmp completely. I managed
to open it in BS Player and it sounded "laggy".

I am a computer admin by profession so I am not an amateur I checked
all the logs for possible errors, checked Task Manager for running
processes and applications. File Indexing is turned off on all disks, I
am not using ReadyBoost, HDDs are using UDMA. Everything is fine! CPU
working normally, RAM ok, HDDs inactive...

Any known issue that I am not familiar with? Something with sound?

--
Atebash
rwphilips@yahoo.com

Re: Strange error
At first my thought was File Indexing on a new system as Vista tends
to take control every once in a while so that it can create the search
indexes... that goes away after a while but you say you have diasabled
file indexing... hmmmm

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 02:21:43 -0500, Atebash
<Atebash.37jf83@no-mx.forums.net> wrote:

>Greetings. I've been fighting this problem for last 3 days and gave up.
>You may have had an experience with it before so I am giving a shot to
>this group
>
>I have Vista Ultimate x86 working on
>
>'Gigabyte P35-DS3P'
>(http://tw.giga-byte.com/Products/Mot...ProductID=2747)
>'Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo 3.0'
>(http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SLAPL)
>'OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 / 800MHz / Titanium XTC'
>(http://www.ocztechnology.com/product...n_dual_channel),
>2x2GB
>'Gigabyte HD3870 GV-RX387512H-B'
>(http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/...GV-RX387512H-B)
>'Western Digital 500AAKS'
>(http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=301) x2, 1 TB
>total
>'Thermaltake Toughpower 600W'
>(http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/produc...0103/w0103.asp)
>Sound Blaster Audigy SE
>
>Vista score: 5.6 (HDD at 5.6, the rest is rated with 5.9)
>
>All was working more than great for last 2 weeks (that is when I built
>and installed it), but last 2 days I've experienced a strange problem.
>At completely random times my mouse stops responding (Logitech MX500),
>the sound gets bad and overall performance drops a bit. After restart
>eveything works fine. Also, I noticed that if I unplug and plug the
>mouse back into USB port it starts working fine again, but the sound
>problem remains.
>
>I tried opening an MP3 file and that hangs WinAmp completely. I managed
>to open it in BS Player and it sounded "laggy".
>
>I am a computer admin by profession so I am not an amateur I checked
>all the logs for possible errors, checked Task Manager for running
>processes and applications. File Indexing is turned off on all disks, I
>am not using ReadyBoost, HDDs are using UDMA. Everything is fine! CPU
>working normally, RAM ok, HDDs inactive...
>
>Any known issue that I am not familiar with? Something with sound?

Atebash

Re: Strange error

Hmmm strange, I just re-checked and File Indexing was back ON on one
drive. Turned it off again.

I am 100% sure I turned it off before, I guess it just reverted back
somehow. As Windows sometimes likes to do

Still, if anyone else has another suggestion or solution please reply

--
Atebash
Atebash

Re: Strange error

I disabled Superfetch as well, after an error happened again last night.
One other thing - I noticed last Windows Update happened just before the
first error. It updated Windows Defender. Could it be connected?

--
Atebash
Atebash

Re: Strange error

Just in case anyone wondered - it was a motherboard error. Socket pins
were bent on one place (unknown reason) and were causing all sorts of
problems.

Mobo replaced, all fine now!

--
Atebash