programs stop working in Windows Vista

Ed

programs stop working in Windows Vista
Several programs I have stop working after a few minutes I get the following
message "Program_name has stopped working. Windows can check online for a
solution to the problem". Two programs I have I get that message as soon as
I start the program. I found an available update that addresses this problem,
but when I try to install the update, I get a message that this update does
not apply to my computer.
Suggestions? thanks
Ed
Bob

Re: programs stop working in Windows Vista
What firewall, anti-virus application or security suite is installed? There
are some that cause problems which do not appear immediately.
-------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm
http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/unice.htm

"Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Several programs I have stop working after a few minutes I get the
> following
> message "Program_name has stopped working. Windows can check online for a
> solution to the problem". Two programs I have I get that message as soon
> as
> I start the program. I found an available update that addresses this
> problem,
> but when I try to install the update, I get a message that this update
> does
> not apply to my computer.
> Suggestions? thanks
> Ed

tomduo

Re: programs stop working in Windows Vista
Norton Protection Center.

"Bob" wrote:

> What firewall, anti-virus application or security suite is installed? There
> are some that cause problems which do not appear immediately.
> -------
> *Report back, please*
> [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
> that others may learn and benefit from the issue]
>
> [How to ask a question]
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
> http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm
> http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/unice.htm
>
> "Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Several programs I have stop working after a few minutes I get the
> > following
> > message "Program_name has stopped working. Windows can check online for a
> > solution to the problem". Two programs I have I get that message as soon
> > as
> > I start the program. I found an available update that addresses this
> > problem,
> > but when I try to install the update, I get a message that this update
> > does
> > not apply to my computer.
> > Suggestions? thanks
> > Ed

Bob

Re: programs stop working in Windows Vista
Norton is likely causing your problem.

Replace Norton with the free AVG http://free.grisoft.com/ or Avast
Defender. Disabling Norton is not enough. You need to completely uninstall
it. If it doesn't solve the problem, get rid of Norton anyway. Norton is
known to cause many problems in Vista and they don’t always appear
immediately.
Download and run the Norton Removal Tool.

It's called "360" because Symantec's goal is complete ownership of your
computer, and with even less communication about what it's trying to do or
ways to configure it than ever before (which would only interfere with its
goal.) That, along with Symantec's famous technical support, makes Norton
360 a disaster that I would only install on Granny's computer if she was
going to disinherit me.

-------

"tomduo" <tomduo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Norton Protection Center.
>
> "Bob" wrote:
>
>> What firewall, anti-virus application or security suite is installed?
>> There
>> are some that cause problems which do not appear immediately.
>> -------
>> *Report back, please*
>> [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to
>> so
>> that others may learn and benefit from the issue]
>>
>> [How to ask a question]
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>> http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm
>> http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/unice.htm
>>
>> "Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Several programs I have stop working after a few minutes I get the
>> > following
>> > message "Program_name has stopped working. Windows can check online for
>> > solution to the problem". Two programs I have I get that message as
>> > soon
>> > as
>> > I start the program. I found an available update that addresses this
>> > problem,
>> > but when I try to install the update, I get a message that this update
>> > does
>> > not apply to my computer.
>> > Suggestions? thanks
>> > Ed

Ed

Re: programs stop working in Windows Vista
i understand that, but I have had norton for years and all these programs
have worked. I did not have any problems until I bought a laptop with vista
on it.

do you think that norton is the issue? Even if the problems did appear until
vista? If so I will give it a try and remove Norton/. Just don't want to
remove something I paid for id I don't have to?

As I said earlier, I did find an update on Microsoft update windows beta 2.
but it said that update didn't apply to my system.

Thanks
Ed
"Bob" wrote:

> Norton is likely causing your problem.
>
> Replace Norton with the free AVG http://free.grisoft.com/ or Avast
> Defender. Disabling Norton is not enough. You need to completely uninstall
> it. If it doesn't solve the problem, get rid of Norton anyway. Norton is
> known to cause many problems in Vista and they don’t always appear
> immediately.
> Download and run the Norton Removal Tool.
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039
>
> It's called "360" because Symantec's goal is complete ownership of your
> computer, and with even less communication about what it's trying to do or
> ways to configure it than ever before (which would only interfere with its
> goal.) That, along with Symantec's famous technical support, makes Norton
> 360 a disaster that I would only install on Granny's computer if she was
> going to disinherit me.
>
> -------
> *Report back, please*
> [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
> that others may learn and benefit from the issue]
>
> "tomduo" <tomduo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Norton Protection Center.
> >
> > "Bob" wrote:
> >
> >> What firewall, anti-virus application or security suite is installed?
> >> There
> >> are some that cause problems which do not appear immediately.
> >> -------
> >> *Report back, please*
> >> [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to
> >> so
> >> that others may learn and benefit from the issue]
> >>
> >> [How to ask a question]
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
> >> http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm
> >> http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/unice.htm

Ed

Re: programs stop working in Windows Vista
Okay, I went ahead and uninstalled norton, and have the same results.
"program has stopped working and windows is looking for a solution". Any
other suggestions?

Thanks
Ed

"Ed" wrote:

> i understand that, but I have had norton for years and all these programs
> have worked. I did not have any problems until I bought a laptop with vista
> on it.
>
> do you think that norton is the issue? Even if the problems did appear until
> vista? If so I will give it a try and remove Norton/. Just don't want to
> remove something I paid for id I don't have to?
>
> As I said earlier, I did find an update on Microsoft update windows beta 2.
> but it said that update didn't apply to my system.
>
> Thanks
> Ed
> "Bob" wrote:
>
> > Norton is likely causing your problem.
> >
> > Replace Norton with the free AVG http://free.grisoft.com/ or Avast
> > Defender. Disabling Norton is not enough. You need to completely uninstall
> > it. If it doesn't solve the problem, get rid of Norton anyway. Norton is
> > known to cause many problems in Vista and they don’t always appear
> > immediately.
> > Download and run the Norton Removal Tool.
> > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039
> >
> > It's called "360" because Symantec's goal is complete ownership of your
> > computer, and with even less communication about what it's trying to do or
> > ways to configure it than ever before (which would only interfere with its
> > goal.) That, along with Symantec's famous technical support, makes Norton
> > 360 a disaster that I would only install on Granny's computer if she was
> > going to disinherit me.
> >
> > -------
> > *Report back, please*
> > [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
> > that others may learn and benefit from the issue]
> >
> > "tomduo" <tomduo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Norton Protection Center.

Bob

Re: programs stop working in Windows Vista

Yes, Norton is likely causing your problem. If uninstalling it does not
solve your problem you can always reinstall it, however it's just a matter
of time before Norton causes a problem.
-------

>i understand that, but I have had norton for years and all these programs
> have worked. I did not have any problems until I bought a laptop with
> vista
> on it.
>
> do you think that norton is the issue? Even if the problems did appear
> until
> vista? If so I will give it a try and remove Norton/. Just don't want to
> remove something I paid for id I don't have to?
>
> As I said earlier, I did find an update on Microsoft update windows beta
> 2.
> but it said that update didn't apply to my system.
>
> Thanks
> Ed
> "Bob" wrote:
>
>> Norton is likely causing your problem.
>>
>> Replace Norton with the free AVG http://free.grisoft.com/ or Avast
>> Windows
>> Defender. Disabling Norton is not enough. You need to completely
>> uninstall
>> it. If it doesn't solve the problem, get rid of Norton anyway. Norton is
>> known to cause many problems in Vista and they don’t always appear
>> immediately.
>> Download and run the Norton Removal Tool.
>> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039
>>
>> It's called "360" because Symantec's goal is complete ownership of your
>> computer, and with even less communication about what it's trying to do
>> or
>> ways to configure it than ever before (which would only interfere with
>> its
>> goal.) That, along with Symantec's famous technical support, makes Norton
>> 360 a disaster that I would only install on Granny's computer if she was
>> going to disinherit me.
>>
>> -------
>> *Report back, please*
>> [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to
>> so
>> that others may learn and benefit from the issue]
>>
>> "tomduo" <tomduo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Norton Protection Center.

Bob

Re: programs stop working in Windows Vista
Assuming you restarted your computer after uninstalling Norton.
Search your registry for "Symantec". If you find anything delete it. Backup
your registry first.

What do you learn when viewing "Problem Reports and Solutions"?

What programs are you having a problem with?
-------

> Okay, I went ahead and uninstalled norton, and have the same results.
> "program has stopped working and windows is looking for a solution". Any
> other suggestions?
>
> Thanks
> Ed
>

> "Ed" wrote:
>
>> i understand that, but I have had norton for years and all these programs
>> have worked. I did not have any problems until I bought a laptop with
>> vista
>> on it.
>>
>> do you think that norton is the issue? Even if the problems did appear
>> until
>> vista? If so I will give it a try and remove Norton/. Just don't want to
>> remove something I paid for id I don't have to?
>>
>> As I said earlier, I did find an update on Microsoft update windows beta
>> 2.
>> but it said that update didn't apply to my system.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Ed
>> "Bob" wrote:
>>
>> > Norton is likely causing your problem.
>> >
>> > Replace Norton with the free AVG http://free.grisoft.com/ or Avast
>> > Windows
>> > Defender. Disabling Norton is not enough. You need to completely
>> > uninstall
>> > it. If it doesn't solve the problem, get rid of Norton anyway. Norton
>> > is
>> > known to cause many problems in Vista and they don’t always appear
>> > immediately.
>> > Download and run the Norton Removal Tool.
>> > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039
>> >
>> > It's called "360" because Symantec's goal is complete ownership of your
>> > computer, and with even less communication about what it's trying to do
>> > or
>> > ways to configure it than ever before (which would only interfere with
>> > its
>> > goal.) That, along with Symantec's famous technical support, makes
>> > Norton
>> > 360 a disaster that I would only install on Granny's computer if she
>> > was
>> > going to disinherit me.
>> >
>> > -------
>> > *Report back, please*
>> > [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying
>> > to so
>> > that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

Ed

Re: programs stop working in Windows Vista
Well, I don't know what to say. My PC and my laptop all have the exact same
programs running on them. The only variable is the PC has XP Pro and the
laptop has Vista Ultimate.

The programs that stop working on my laptop work fine on my pc. but thanks
for the help

Thanks
Ed

"Bob" wrote:

> Yes, Norton is likely causing your problem. If uninstalling it does not
> solve your problem you can always reinstall it, however it's just a matter
> of time before Norton causes a problem.
> -------
> *Report back, please*
> [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
> that others may learn and benefit from the issue]
>
> [How to ask a question]
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>
> "Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i understand that, but I have had norton for years and all these programs
> > have worked. I did not have any problems until I bought a laptop with
> > vista
> > on it.
> >
> > do you think that norton is the issue? Even if the problems did appear
> > until
> > vista? If so I will give it a try and remove Norton/. Just don't want to
> > remove something I paid for id I don't have to?
> >
> > As I said earlier, I did find an update on Microsoft update windows beta
> > 2.
> > but it said that update didn't apply to my system.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Ed
> > "Bob" wrote:
> >
> >> Norton is likely causing your problem.
> >>
> >> Replace Norton with the free AVG http://free.grisoft.com/ or Avast
> >> Windows
> >> Defender. Disabling Norton is not enough. You need to completely
> >> uninstall
> >> it. If it doesn't solve the problem, get rid of Norton anyway. Norton is
> >> known to cause many problems in Vista and they don’t always appear
> >> immediately.
> >> Download and run the Norton Removal Tool.
> >> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039
> >>
> >> It's called "360" because Symantec's goal is complete ownership of your
> >> computer, and with even less communication about what it's trying to do
> >> or
> >> ways to configure it than ever before (which would only interfere with
> >> its
> >> goal.) That, along with Symantec's famous technical support, makes Norton
> >> 360 a disaster that I would only install on Granny's computer if she was
> >> going to disinherit me.
> >>
> >> -------
> >> *Report back, please*
> >> [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to
> >> so
> >> that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

Bob

Re: programs stop working in Windows Vista

A difference in the OS is a huge variable!