How do you open a minidump file

Chelle

How do you open a minidump file
How does one go about opening the minidump files? I would like to know what
information that they contain and if they contain information that can help
me resolve my issues.

Thanks.
Rick Rogers

Re: How do you open a minidump file
Hi Chelle,

With a debugging tool and appropriate symbols:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/mainta.../DebugOCA.mspx

You also need enough knowledge to interpret what you are looking it as much
of it is the cpu register contents, stack traces, machine language
instructions, and memory locations involved.

If you could provide more details on the problem you are having, perhaps
someone here can help. If you'd like to have me look at the dump file for
you, please send it to rick@mvps.org using a subject line of 'per req' to
get past filters. Please only send the most recent one or two. A short
description of the problem is helpful, so please include it as well.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Chelle" <Chelle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How does one go about opening the minidump files? I would like to know
> what
> information that they contain and if they contain information that can
> help
> me resolve my issues.
>
> Thanks.

Chelle

Re: How do you open a minidump file
Hi Rick,

I am such a novice. How do get the minidump files to you? I downloaded the
debugging tool and still can't open the files. I don't know how to create a
zip file. I am quite embarrassed over how little I know. I use my computer
for classes and recreation. I had these problems with my old computer. I
appreciate any assistance you are able to give me.

Chelle

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Chelle,
>
> With a debugging tool and appropriate symbols:
> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/mainta.../DebugOCA.mspx
>
> You also need enough knowledge to interpret what you are looking it as much
> of it is the cpu register contents, stack traces, machine language
> instructions, and memory locations involved.
>
> If you could provide more details on the problem you are having, perhaps
> someone here can help. If you'd like to have me look at the dump file for
> you, please send it to rick@mvps.org using a subject line of 'per req' to
> get past filters. Please only send the most recent one or two. A short
> description of the problem is helpful, so please include it as well.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Chelle" <Chelle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How does one go about opening the minidump files? I would like to know
> > what
> > information that they contain and if they contain information that can
> > help
> > me resolve my issues.
> >
> > Thanks.

Chelle

Re: How do you open a minidump file

Apparently, I can't type either! I meant to say that I didn't have these
issues with my old computer.

"Chelle" wrote:

> Hi Rick,
>
> I am such a novice. How do get the minidump files to you? I downloaded the
> debugging tool and still can't open the files. I don't know how to create a
> zip file. I am quite embarrassed over how little I know. I use my computer
> for classes and recreation. I had these problems with my old computer. I
> appreciate any assistance you are able to give me.
>
> Chelle
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
> > Hi Chelle,
> >
> > With a debugging tool and appropriate symbols:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/mainta.../DebugOCA.mspx
> >
> > You also need enough knowledge to interpret what you are looking it as much
> > of it is the cpu register contents, stack traces, machine language
> > instructions, and memory locations involved.
> >
> > If you could provide more details on the problem you are having, perhaps
> > someone here can help. If you'd like to have me look at the dump file for
> > you, please send it to rick@mvps.org using a subject line of 'per req' to
> > get past filters. Please only send the most recent one or two. A short
> > description of the problem is helpful, so please include it as well.
> >
> > --
> > Best of Luck,

> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> > My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
> >
> > "Chelle" <Chelle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > How does one go about opening the minidump files? I would like to know
> > > what
> > > information that they contain and if they contain information that can
> > > help
> > > me resolve my issues.
> > >
> > > Thanks.

Rick Rogers

Re: How do you open a minidump file
Hi,

To get the dump file to me just attach it to an email using the instructions
I already gave. No need to zip/unzip anything or try using the debug tool
yourself.