Transfer XP to New Computer

Steve

Transfer XP to New Computer
I have a new computer with an OEM version of Vista Home Basic.

I have an old computer with an up to date retail version of XP including the
registration/sn number. I DO NOT have the original XP disk.

How do I transfer XP via CD/DVD to a second partition on my new computer?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Transfer XP to New Computer
Without a Windows XP installation CD, you can't.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Steve" <spinetxnj1@comcast.net> wrote in message news:%23sdcJA4fIHA.320@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
I have a new computer with an OEM version of Vista Home Basic.

I have an old computer with an up to date retail version of XP including the
registration/sn number. I DO NOT have the original XP disk.

How do I transfer XP via CD/DVD to a second partition on my new computer?

Synapse Syndrome

> Without a Windows XP installation CD, you can't.

Actually, it is possible. I have done this many times, but it's not really
worth it if you are just doing it once. You need Acronis TrueImage
Workstation (not Home) and the Universal Restore addon.

I have used this method to transfer OS installations to different hardware
in emergencies, but I use it far more often to make existing OS
installations into virtual machines, when consolidating hardware, or just
wanting the old OS installation to refer to or extract from.

ss.

On the Bridge!

Re: Transfer XP to New Computer
hello, I will give you a more flexible response than carey did...:-) (as
always)

I will give you the BEST answer.

you have 2.5 solutions: (you will understand why im saying two and a half
solutions later)
Only the first solution is supported normally, the others I give just in
case you want to try them.

Solution 1) Basically all you need is a CD of the same TYPE of your XP
installation.
What matters is the type of install for example if you have retail, if its
home or pro, you need to find a retail cd of that same type..
And then of course you have your product key.

In other words you can install from ANY cd as long as if its the same TYPE
of XP
and you use your product key. If a friend has a cd with XP retail *same
version home or pro* as you do, then you can use that, along with YOUR
product key.
If you dont have your old product key written down you can find it via the
old installation via a small free program called magic jelly bean
get it here http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

this will find the product key if you dont know it from your XP install..
write it down and keep it somewhere in a safe place.

you can also ORDER the Media from microsoft, with a minimal cost here:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326246

Solution 2) You can try GHOSTING the current install, writing the IMAGE on
dvd, then gosting it back on the new drive.
This method MAY OR MAY NOT WORK, but you really dont have anything to lose..
since if it doesnt work you just format the drive again.. lol

What will happen (if it works) is that XP will struggle to adjust itself to
the new hardware trying to find the correct drivers in order for it to
function.
If it works the working windows may not be that stable...

But I HAVE done this a few times with success and a few times it just gave
me a blue screen.

In order to make an IMAGE of the install you can use a nice product like
ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE (thats what I use) but there are others too..

basically what happens is that you use this ghosting software to create an
identical COPY of the old install and you put it on a DVDs... then with that
same
ghosting software you restore the install on the new hard drive... then you
boot widows and pray that it will work

Solution 2.5) I named this 2.5 because I know MVP's will whine and ALEXB
will come along saying that Im a crook lol.. but who cares about them
really?
My intention is to give you more flexibilty and options... and from then on
YOU decide whats best.

You CAN FIND the xp ISO IMAGES on TORRENT intact (not cracked) if you know
how to search, so you can download the ISO of the XP that corresponds to
your version, burn it into a CD and user YOUR PRODUCT KEY to activate. So
you are just getting the installation media from torrent and you are using
your product key to actiave.
WARNING (and this is why I call it solution 2.5) if you DONT know what you
are doing you MAY fall into some cracked version of XP or even worse some
that has a virus in it...

so be warned ...

Im only offering this last solution just in case you are very good with
search in on torrents and you can understand what is good or not there.

Tell me if any of this helps

"Steve" <spinetxnj1@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I have a new computer with an OEM version of Vista Home Basic.
>
> I have an old computer with an up to date retail version of XP including
> the registration/sn number. I DO NOT have the original XP disk.
>
> How do I transfer XP via CD/DVD to a second partition on my new computer?

On the Bridge!

Re: Transfer XP to New Computer
Yes, I just posted that solution too..
I have done it also many times... but I explain also the setbacks it may
have...

I dont know why these MVPs are so inflexible...

As a computer geek I have done things that others thought impossible...
I expecially find it pleasing to prove MVPs wrong each time they say
"its not possible"

Im my opinion ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.

but I guess either he doesnt know this method, or he doesnt want to offer it
because
its "not supported by microsoft"

"Synapse Syndrome" <synapse@NOSPAMsyndrome.me.uk> wrote in message
>> Without a Windows XP installation CD, you can't.

> Actually, it is possible. I have done this many times, but it's not
> really worth it if you are just doing it once. You need Acronis TrueImage
> Workstation (not Home) and the Universal Restore addon.
>
> I have used this method to transfer OS installations to different hardware
> in emergencies, but I use it far more often to make existing OS
> installations into virtual machines, when consolidating hardware, or just
> wanting the old OS installation to refer to or extract from.
>
> ss.

Synapse Syndrome

"On the Bridge!" <On@the,Bridge> wrote in message
> Yes, I just posted that solution too..
> I have done it also many times... but I explain also the setbacks it may
> have...
>
> I dont know why these MVPs are so inflexible...
>
> As a computer geek I have done things that others thought impossible...
> I expecially find it pleasing to prove MVPs wrong each time they say
> "its not possible"
>
> Im my opinion ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.
>
> but I guess either he doesnt know this method, or he doesnt want to offer
> it because
> its "not supported by microsoft"

I can't see where you mentioned TrueImage Workstation with the Universal
Restore addon. Your solution seems pretty messy. Does it even work, when
just using a straight image? There is nothing to reset the Hardware
Abstraction Layer or turn off the non-default drivers.

ss.

On the Bridge!

Re: Transfer XP to New Computer
It works without the universal restore add-on some times (most of the times
in fact)..
but yes universal restore IS the way to go...
but then he will NEED true image (acronis) while he may already have another
GHOSTING
app.

> "On the Bridge!" <On@the,Bridge> wrote in message
>> Yes, I just posted that solution too..
>> I have done it also many times... but I explain also the setbacks it may
>> have...
>>
>> I dont know why these MVPs are so inflexible...
>>
>> As a computer geek I have done things that others thought impossible...
>> I expecially find it pleasing to prove MVPs wrong each time they say
>> "its not possible"
>>
>> Im my opinion ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.
>>
>> but I guess either he doesnt know this method, or he doesnt want to offer
>> it because
>> its "not supported by microsoft"

> I can't see where you mentioned TrueImage Workstation with the Universal
> Restore addon. Your solution seems pretty messy. Does it even work, when
> just using a straight image? There is nothing to reset the Hardware
> Abstraction Layer or turn off the non-default drivers.
>
> ss.

On the Bridge!

Re: Transfer XP to New Computer
you dont need to "turn off non needed drivers", in XP each time its booted
it checks what hardware is installed and then loads the drivers for it...

they are just being ignored

"Synapse Syndrome" <synapse@NOSPAMsyndrome.me.uk> wrote in message
> "On the Bridge!" <On@the,Bridge> wrote in message
>> Yes, I just posted that solution too..
>> I have done it also many times... but I explain also the setbacks it may
>> have...
>>
>> I dont know why these MVPs are so inflexible...
>>
>> As a computer geek I have done things that others thought impossible...
>> I expecially find it pleasing to prove MVPs wrong each time they say
>> "its not possible"
>>
>> Im my opinion ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.
>>
>> but I guess either he doesnt know this method, or he doesnt want to offer
>> it because
>> its "not supported by microsoft"

> I can't see where you mentioned TrueImage Workstation with the Universal
> Restore addon. Your solution seems pretty messy. Does it even work, when
> just using a straight image? There is nothing to reset the Hardware
> Abstraction Layer or turn off the non-default drivers.
>
> ss.

Synapse Syndrome

> It works without the universal restore add-on some times (most of the
> times in fact)..

Most times?? That really depends on whether his new machine is similar to
his old one. If the new chipset needs a different HAL, it will all fall
down, and then he'll have to make a Repair install and end up with an
unstable OS installation with lots of shrapnel all over the place.

ss.

On the Bridge!

Re: Transfer XP to New Computer
"If the new chipset needs a different HAL"

You think I dont know this? Lol..

Yes.. you are right.. but I had to give this alternative to the poster...

he really has nothing to lose if he cant find a disk... it will just not
work