Why you have so few restore points - answered!

Julian

Why you have so few restore points - answered!
It's not a bug - it's a completely idiotic feature of Vista Home Premium
(and maybe Basic too)

System Restore relies on Shadow Storage - which MS also uses to provide
"previous version" file capabilities in higher-end Vista systems.

However, Vista is in fact still taking copies of ALL your files - thereby
eating up space that you might reasonably have thought was solely for System
Restore points. Result: ShadowStorage fills up very quickly and your restore
points are dumped.

See
http://berossus.blogspot.com/2008/02...ng-system.html
and the links therein for what I eventually found on the web once I knew
what to look for. It has been known about since last year apparently...

Personally I am outraged at the lack of control over my own system, and
specifically the completely useless System Restore capability that has
resulted.

MS should be ashamed. Very, very ashamed.

But thanks to everyone who helped me track down the problem

--
Julian I-Do-Stuff

Some Vista stuff, but mostly just Stuff at http://berossus,blogspot.com

alexB

Re: Why you have so few restore points - answered!
You should be ashamed for your idiotic outburst. You do not need more
restore points. Besides, you have control over the number of restore points
you can have. Just add more storage, do more backups and eat your sh*it in
the privacy of your home. Do not bring your lunacy in here.

"Julian" <msforums@tiger2.notthisbit.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> It's not a bug - it's a completely idiotic feature of Vista Home Premium
> (and maybe Basic too)
>
> System Restore relies on Shadow Storage - which MS also uses to provide
> "previous version" file capabilities in higher-end Vista systems.
>
> However, Vista is in fact still taking copies of ALL your files - thereby
> eating up space that you might reasonably have thought was solely for
> System Restore points. Result: ShadowStorage fills up very quickly and
> your restore points are dumped.
>
> See
> http://berossus.blogspot.com/2008/02...ng-system.html
> and the links therein for what I eventually found on the web once I knew
> what to look for. It has been known about since last year apparently...
>
> Personally I am outraged at the lack of control over my own system, and
> specifically the completely useless System Restore capability that has
> resulted.
>
> MS should be ashamed. Very, very ashamed.
>
> But thanks to everyone who helped me track down the problem
>
> --
> Julian I-Do-Stuff
>
> Some Vista stuff, but mostly just Stuff at http://berossus,blogspot.com

On the Bridge!

Re: Why you have so few restore points - answered!
yes of course ....
this is exactly as you say it...

I understood this the very first time when vista was still in beta.

On MACS you have to have an external drive for "TIME MACHINE" to work.
Time machine is so far ahead of shadow copy thats its literally "from the
future" pun intended!

see how shadow copy should have been here
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/timemachine.html

the way shadow copy is implemented in Vista is a problem of course (haven't
found much in vista that is NOT a problem lol), because there is no way to
chose the settings between restore points and old versions,
or disabling only one of the 2 "functions"

> It's not a bug - it's a completely idiotic feature of Vista Home Premium
> (and maybe Basic too)

Oh all versions of Vista create shadow copies.. but here is the even more
idiotic thing=
NOT ALL CAN ACCESS the older copies! LOL How dumb is that?

Fortunalty there is a guy who wrote SHADOW EXPLORER a free tool,
see here on how you can use it
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/

dennis@home

"On the Bridge!" <On@the,Bridge> wrote in message
> yes of course ....
> this is exactly as you say it...
>
> I understood this the very first time when vista was still in beta.
>
> On MACS you have to have an external drive for "TIME MACHINE" to work.
> Time machine is so far ahead of shadow copy thats its literally "from the
> future" pun intended!
>
> see how shadow copy should have been here
> http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/timemachine.html

A feature stolen from "windows".
It is like www.memeo.com's backup solution for windows but not as good.
Memeo has been around for a lot longer than timemachine and there are
several alternatives that do similar things.
There was even a real-time backup and file versioner for win98 but I forget
what it was called.
Some more of Apples "innovation".

Jan

Re: Why you have so few restore points - answered!
Did you bother to read his post? You don't have a ******* clue as usual. You
are too busy sucking MSFT a hole to to understand anything.

"alexB" <alexb@comcast.net> wrote in message
> You should be ashamed for your idiotic outburst. You do not need more
> restore points. Besides, you have control over the number of restore
> points you can have. Just add more storage, do more backups and eat your
> sh*it in the privacy of your home. Do not bring your lunacy in here.
>

> "Julian" <msforums@tiger2.notthisbit.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> It's not a bug - it's a completely idiotic feature of Vista Home Premium
>> (and maybe Basic too)
>>
>> System Restore relies on Shadow Storage - which MS also uses to provide
>> "previous version" file capabilities in higher-end Vista systems.
>>
>> However, Vista is in fact still taking copies of ALL your files - thereby
>> eating up space that you might reasonably have thought was solely for
>> System Restore points. Result: ShadowStorage fills up very quickly and
>> your restore points are dumped.
>>
>> See
>> http://berossus.blogspot.com/2008/02...ng-system.html
>> and the links therein for what I eventually found on the web once I knew
>> what to look for. It has been known about since last year apparently...
>>
>> Personally I am outraged at the lack of control over my own system, and
>> specifically the completely useless System Restore capability that has
>> resulted.
>>
>> MS should be ashamed. Very, very ashamed.
>>
>> But thanks to everyone who helped me track down the problem
>>
>> --
>> Julian I-Do-Stuff
>>
>> Some Vista stuff, but mostly just Stuff at http://berossus,blogspot.com

Cameron Snyder

Re: Why you have so few restore points -SPAM
Your information is not even correct... And just to promote your
disappearing intellect blog...

"Julian" <msforums@tiger2.notthisbit.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> It's not a bug - it's a completely idiotic feature of Vista Home Premium
> (and maybe Basic too)
>
> System Restore relies on Shadow Storage - which MS also uses to provide
> "previous version" file capabilities in higher-end Vista systems.
>
> However, Vista is in fact still taking copies of ALL your files - thereby
> eating up space that you might reasonably have thought was solely for
> System Restore points. Result: ShadowStorage fills up very quickly and
> your restore points are dumped.
>
> See
> http://berossus.blogspot.com/2008/02...ng-system.html
> and the links therein for what I eventually found on the web once I knew
> what to look for. It has been known about since last year apparently...
>
> Personally I am outraged at the lack of control over my own system, and
> specifically the completely useless System Restore capability that has
> resulted.
>
> MS should be ashamed. Very, very ashamed.
>
> But thanks to everyone who helped me track down the problem
>
> --
> Julian I-Do-Stuff
>
> Some Vista stuff, but mostly just Stuff at http://berossus,blogspot.com

Bob

Re: Why you have so few restore points -SPAM
So why are you giving the spammer more exposure by including his original
message?

"Cameron Snyder" <dntbther@tellpacbell.net> wrote in message
> Your information is not even correct... And just to promote your
> disappearing intellect blog...
>

> "Julian" <msforums@tiger2.notthisbit.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> It's not a bug - it's a completely idiotic feature of Vista Home Premium
>> (and maybe Basic too)

Cameron Snyder

Re: Why you have so few restore points -SPAM
Excellent point. I was just in automaton mode. click-reply-send Thanks for
the slap.

"Bob" <nowhere@nowhere.net> wrote in message
news:teudnUzsWcKaEVXanZ2dnUVZ_tqtnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> So why are you giving the spammer more exposure by including his original
> message?
>
> "Cameron Snyder" <dntbther@tellpacbell.net> wrote in message
>> Your information is not even correct... And just to promote your
>> disappearing intellect blog...
>>

>> "Julian" <msforums@tiger2.notthisbit.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> It's not a bug - it's a completely idiotic feature of Vista Home Premium
>>> (and maybe Basic too)

Diamontina Cocktail

Re: Why you have so few restore points - answered!

"alexB" <alexb@comcast.net> wrote in message
> You should be ashamed for your idiotic outburst. You do not need more
> restore points.

Crap. How would YOU know how many restore points a person "needs" or
"wants"? I got Vista SP1 off Windows update and expected the restore to
previous to SP1 to be there. It wasn't.

Diamontina Cocktail

"dennis@home" <dennis@killspam.kicks-ass.net> wrote in message

> "On the Bridge!" <On@the,Bridge> wrote in message
>> yes of course ....
>> this is exactly as you say it...
>>
>> I understood this the very first time when vista was still in beta.
>>
>> On MACS you have to have an external drive for "TIME MACHINE" to work.
>> Time machine is so far ahead of shadow copy thats its literally "from the
>> future" pun intended!
>>
>> see how shadow copy should have been here
>> http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/timemachine.html

> A feature stolen from "windows".
> It is like www.memeo.com's backup solution for windows but not as good.
> Memeo has been around for a lot longer than timemachine and there are
> several alternatives that do similar things.
> There was even a real-time backup and file versioner for win98 but I
> forget what it was called.
> Some more of Apples "innovation".

Let us not forget that Apple Macs first did multitasking in 1988, about 4
years after Commodore's Amiga was already doing it and with colour display,
too, not the B&W Macs had back then but of course Mac users claim they had
it first.