What/where is \Device\Harddisk1\DR4?

Julian

What/where is \Device\Harddisk1\DR4?
The event log is full of Err 51 messages saying "An error was detected on
device \Device\Harddisk1\DR4 during a paging operation." Since paging only
happens to C I did a full chkdsk - it seems there were no errors but the
error persisted so I dug a bit deeper...

The KB article on "Information about Event ID 51"
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244780/en-us) says:

"When your computer pages information to or from the disk, if a generic
error occurs, it logs an Event ID 51 event message. In a paging operation,
the operating system either swaps a page of memory from memory to disk or
retrieves a page of memory from disk to memory. It is part of the memory
management of Microsoft Windows."

but then suggests that the event log info is (at best) misleading since it
isn't necessarily a paging operation:

"the computer may log this event message when it loads images from a storage
device, reads and writes to locally mapped files or to any file (as long as
it is buffered I/O)"

The question is, how can I identify which device is causing this error?
(I've tried and come up empty handed so far)

I wonder whether it's my USB memory stick just not being quite ready, though
there are no errors yet today and USB stick is in use so maybe it's not that
either.

Whatever... I'd like to know, so I can worry appropriately.

TIA

--
Julian I-Do-Stuff

Some Vista stuff, but mostly just Stuff at http://berossus,blogspot.com

Julian

Re: What/where is \Device\Harddisk1\DR4?
Here's part of the answer - thanks to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/159865

It is my USB drive... but what is the DR4?

Julian

"Julian" <msforums@tiger2.notthisbit.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> The event log is full of Err 51 messages saying "An error was detected on
> device \Device\Harddisk1\DR4 during a paging operation." Since paging only
> happens to C I did a full chkdsk - it seems there were no errors but the
> error persisted so I dug a bit deeper...
>
> The KB article on "Information about Event ID 51"
> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244780/en-us) says:
>
> "When your computer pages information to or from the disk, if a generic
> error occurs, it logs an Event ID 51 event message. In a paging operation,
> the operating system either swaps a page of memory from memory to disk or
> retrieves a page of memory from disk to memory. It is part of the memory
> management of Microsoft Windows."
>
> but then suggests that the event log info is (at best) misleading since it
> isn't necessarily a paging operation:
>
> "the computer may log this event message when it loads images from a
> storage device, reads and writes to locally mapped files or to any file
> (as long as it is buffered I/O)"
>
> The question is, how can I identify which device is causing this error?
> (I've tried and come up empty handed so far)
>
> I wonder whether it's my USB memory stick just not being quite ready,
> though there are no errors yet today and USB stick is in use so maybe it's
> not that either.
>
> Whatever... I'd like to know, so I can worry appropriately.
>
> TIA
>
> --
> Julian I-Do-Stuff
>
> Some Vista stuff, but mostly just Stuff at http://berossus,blogspot.com

--
Julian I-Do-Stuff

Some Vista stuff, but mostly just Stuff at http://berossus,blogspot.com

gerryf

Re: What/where is \Device\Harddisk1\DR4?
DR4 means DRIVE, REMOVABLE, and then the number Vista has assigned that
removable drive. I think it is the USB host controller ID assigned by
Windows during setup....if you switch your thumbdrive to another usb port,
the number will change

> Here's part of the answer - thanks to
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/159865
>
> It is my USB drive... but what is the DR4?
>
> Julian
>
> "Julian" <msforums@tiger2.notthisbit.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> The event log is full of Err 51 messages saying "An error was detected on
>> device \Device\Harddisk1\DR4 during a paging operation." Since paging
>> only happens to C I did a full chkdsk - it seems there were no errors but
>> the error persisted so I dug a bit deeper...
>>
>> The KB article on "Information about Event ID 51"
>> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244780/en-us) says:
>>
>> "When your computer pages information to or from the disk, if a generic
>> error occurs, it logs an Event ID 51 event message. In a paging
>> operation, the operating system either swaps a page of memory from memory
>> to disk or retrieves a page of memory from disk to memory. It is part of
>> the memory management of Microsoft Windows."
>>
>> but then suggests that the event log info is (at best) misleading since
>> it isn't necessarily a paging operation:
>>
>> "the computer may log this event message when it loads images from a
>> storage device, reads and writes to locally mapped files or to any file
>> (as long as it is buffered I/O)"
>>
>> The question is, how can I identify which device is causing this error?
>> (I've tried and come up empty handed so far)
>>
>> I wonder whether it's my USB memory stick just not being quite ready,
>> though there are no errors yet today and USB stick is in use so maybe
>> it's not that either.
>>
>> Whatever... I'd like to know, so I can worry appropriately.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> --
>> Julian I-Do-Stuff
>>
>> Some Vista stuff, but mostly just Stuff at http://berossus,blogspot.com

> --
> Julian I-Do-Stuff
>
> Some Vista stuff, but mostly just Stuff at http://berossus,blogspot.com

Julian

Re: What/where is \Device\Harddisk1\DR4?
Aha! Thank you!

If Vista had said "The removable drive on USB Port 4" instead of
\Device\harddisk\DR4 it would have spolied hours of fun

So simple once it has been said - many thanks.