Computer Shuts Down at Start-Up

starlight

Computer Shuts Down at Start-Up

Hi,

I have a new Acer Aspire computer running on Windows Vista. I've had
it set up for a week now, running every day without any problems.
Today, I switched on the computer and before Vista loaded, the computer
shut down on its own. I tried again and this time got a screen asking
if I want to run a start-up diagnostic. I chose that and the computer
shut down again. I switched on again and this time Vista loaded and
everything was ok. Apart from installing daily important Window Vista
updates, I haven't changed anything on the system. Any ideas why this
happened?

--
starlight
Malke

Re: Computer Shuts Down at Start-Up
starlight wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a new Acer Aspire computer running on Windows Vista. I've had
> it set up for a week now, running every day without any problems.
> Today, I switched on the computer and before Vista loaded, the computer
> shut down on its own. I tried again and this time got a screen asking
> if I want to run a start-up diagnostic. I chose that and the computer
> shut down again. I switched on again and this time Vista loaded and
> everything was ok. Apart from installing daily important Window Vista
> updates, I haven't changed anything on the system. Any ideas why this
> happened?

If the computer is shutting down before the operating system is even loaded
(not even getting to where you see the "moving bar" going across) then you
have hardware failure. New computer acting up = take it back immediately.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
starlight

Re: Computer Shuts Down at Start-Up

Thanks for your reply. I did get as far as the `moving bar' going
across the screen, and it started up fine on the third attempt. I'm
using the computer now and everything is ok, but I've not tried shutting
down and switching it back on again (yet) to see if it happens again.

I had a look at the start system configuration. I wondered if the
computer is timing out and switching off because Vista isn't loading
quickly enough - although it has loaded pretty quickly previously. In
the Start-up configuration, under the boot tab, `timeout' is set at 30
seconds. Is this the normal setting?

I'm hoping it's not a hardware problem. I have loaded all my data and
it's taken me a week to sort it out and get it running as I want it.
It's been running perfectly fine too so if it was a potential hardware
problem, what is it likely to be? I don't really want to take it back
because it has all my data on and because of all the hassle. Has anyone
else had this problem?

starlight wrote:

> Thanks for your reply. I did get as far as the `moving bar' going
> across the screen, and it started up fine on the third attempt. I'm
> using the computer now and everything is ok, but I've not tried shutting
> down and switching it back on again (yet) to see if it happens again.
>
> I had a look at the start system configuration. I wondered if the
> computer is timing out and switching off because Vista isn't loading
> quickly enough - although it has loaded pretty quickly previously. In
> the Start-up configuration, under the boot tab, `timeout' is set at 30
> seconds. Is this the normal setting?
>
> I'm hoping it's not a hardware problem. I have loaded all my data and
> it's taken me a week to sort it out and get it running as I want it.
> It's been running perfectly fine too so if it was a potential hardware
> problem, what is it likely to be? I don't really want to take it back
> because it has all my data on and because of all the hassle. Has anyone
> else had this problem?

No, this has nothing to do with the timeout setting. It is being caused
because either 1) you are having hardware issues; or 2) something is set to
start with Windows that is failing or timing out.

Before you go any further with this, go to the store and purchase an
external hard drive and an imaging program such as Acronis True Image.
Create an image of your system and store it on the external hard drive.
Alongside the image, copy your data onto the external drive. This way you
will be prepared because if you *do* have hardware issues, wishing you
don't won't make it so. If for some reason you can't buy the external hard
drive and imaging software, at least burn your important data to CD/DVD-R.
You should be doing this on a regular schedule anyway.

To determine if you have a software startup problem:

1. Make sure all drivers are current. Only get them from Acer's website for
your specific model computer.

2. Manage your startup by using the System Configuration Utility, Autoruns,
and clean-boot troubleshooting.

a. System Configuration Utility
Start Orb>Start Search box>msconfig [enter]

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation,
type the password, or click Continue. Then see what is on the Startup tab.
You don't need to restart immediately, but the next time you do you'll get
a dialog saying you've used the Utility. Usually in Vista this will be
blocked by Windows Defender and you'll need to allow it so you can then
tick the box that says in effect, "don't bother me about this again".

Important - Do not use the System Configuration Utility to stop processes.
Instead, use Start>Run>services.msc [enter] and do not stop any services
unless you really, really know what you're doing.

b. Autoruns (free)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...s/default.mspx

c. How to perform a clean boot in Vista and XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

Standard disclaimer: I can't see and test your computer myself, so these are
just suggestions based on many years of being a professional computer tech;
suggestions based on what you've written. You should not take my
suggestions as a definitive diagnosis. If you can't do the work yourself
(and there is no shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea), take the
machine to a professional computer repair shop (not your local equivalent
of BigComputerStore/GeekSquad). If possible, have all your data backed up
before you take the machine into a shop.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Don't Panic!
Seth

"starlight" <starlight.35cvg1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Thanks for your reply. I did get as far as the `moving bar' going
> across the screen, and it started up fine on the third attempt. I'm
> using the computer now and everything is ok, but I've not tried shutting
> down and switching it back on again (yet) to see if it happens again.
>
> I had a look at the start system configuration. I wondered if the
> computer is timing out and switching off because Vista isn't loading
> quickly enough - although it has loaded pretty quickly previously. In
> the Start-up configuration, under the boot tab, `timeout' is set at 30
> seconds. Is this the normal setting?
>
> I'm hoping it's not a hardware problem. I have loaded all my data and
> it's taken me a week to sort it out and get it running as I want it.
> It's been running perfectly fine too so if it was a potential hardware
> problem, what is it likely to be? I don't really want to take it back
> because it has all my data on and because of all the hassle. Has anyone
> else had this problem?

If this happens again from a cold start (machine has been off for a while)
but like this time a few attempts gets it running, I would suspect power
supply first, then motherboard (faulty capacitors).

mikeyhsd

Re: Computer Shuts Down at Start-Up
there are several items in vista that might point a finger towards the problem.

check the event logs for problems, particulary in the startup sectionm.

also Control Panel - Problem Report and solutions

and Administrative Tools - Relability And Performance Monitor.

mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com

"starlight" <starlight.35ctd0@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message news:starlight.35ctd0@no-mx.forums.net...

Hi,

I have a new Acer Aspire computer running on Windows Vista. I've had
it set up for a week now, running every day without any problems.
Today, I switched on the computer and before Vista loaded, the computer
shut down on its own. I tried again and this time got a screen asking
if I want to run a start-up diagnostic. I chose that and the computer
shut down again. I switched on again and this time Vista loaded and
everything was ok. Apart from installing daily important Window Vista
updates, I haven't changed anything on the system. Any ideas why this
happened?

--
starlight
starlight

Re: Computer Shuts Down at Start-Up

Thank you for your replies. Well, my system started up normally this
morning without any intervention whatsoever. I had a look at the Events
Viewer. There are a few errors and warnings there but the ones relating
to the actual time of the start-up problem I had were in the audit
failure summary - Event 5032 Security Auditing. Would a conflict with
the Firewall cause the computer to shutdown at start-up? Once the
system started up ok, another event was logged - Event 1101 - security
channel publishing (audit events have been dropped by the transport).
Not sure whether these offer any clues?

Forgive me but I'm just not technically-minded enough to totally
understand the issues.

I've been using computers for a long time and have used Windows 95,
98, ME and XP. I've used these mostly without any problems and
certainly without having to delve into all the aforementioned files /
events etc etc to attempt to resolve stuff like this. I feel that Vista
- after only using the OS for a week - is proving more challenging than
its predecessors and seems to be a `work-in-progress' from what I've
read. I really could do without all the hassle. I just want a computer
that starts up, does the job and is reliable. I guess I'm asking too
much of the Microsoft empire.

--
starlight
mikeyhsd

Re: Computer Shuts Down at Start-Up
you can either search microsoft knowledge base or google for those event log errors.

mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com