Windows failed to start

Ole

Windows failed to start
Hello all. I have a problem that I need help with.
My elderly Mother's Vista PC isn't working, and as she relies on this for
shopping etc I need to get it working (I am several hundred miles from her).
The PC tried to install the latest Vista updates (20/2/2008) but upon
restart she gets the message "Windows failed to restart - a recent
hardware/software change may be the cause - File windows\system32\winload.exe
"The selected file could not be loaded".
She doesn't have a start in "normal mode" option.
I have walked her through trying system repair/restore using the Vista
installation Cd, but after trying to restore she gets the message; "system
restore failed due to an unspecified error;

"cannot create a file when that file already exists" (0x800700b7)

We have tried 3 different restore points with the same result.
Can anyone help on this?

Rick Rogers

Re: Windows failed to start
Hi,

Probably the best thing to do would be to load the Vista DVD and boot from
it, then run a startup repair. The error is indicating that there is a
problem with the file that Vista uses to load the operating system. You
won't be able to successfully access any mode until it is repaired.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Ole" <Ole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all. I have a problem that I need help with.
> My elderly Mother's Vista PC isn't working, and as she relies on this for
> shopping etc I need to get it working (I am several hundred miles from
> her).
> The PC tried to install the latest Vista updates (20/2/2008) but upon
> restart she gets the message "Windows failed to restart - a recent
> hardware/software change may be the cause - File
> windows\system32\winload.exe
> "The selected file could not be loaded".
> She doesn't have a start in "normal mode" option.
> I have walked her through trying system repair/restore using the Vista
> installation Cd, but after trying to restore she gets the message; "system
> restore failed due to an unspecified error;
>
> "cannot create a file when that file already exists" (0x800700b7)
>
> We have tried 3 different restore points with the same result.
> Can anyone help on this?

Bruce

Re: Windows failed to start
Rick,
I have had the same problem upon trying to boot my machine. I tried the
installation DVD and ran Startup repair. The program said it was repaired but
I can not boot and get nothing but a blank light blue screen. I tried
re-running the Startup repair program from the DVD again and it says that
everything is fine. Still can not boot. In addition, from the installation
DVD I can not get a command prompt that allows me to get to the C: drive on
the machine. In addition, after installing SP1 all of my restore points are
gone and so I can not restore either. Help would be appreciated as this is my
office machine.

Bruce

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Probably the best thing to do would be to load the Vista DVD and boot from
> it, then run a startup repair. The error is indicating that there is a
> problem with the file that Vista uses to load the operating system. You
> won't be able to successfully access any mode until it is repaired.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Ole" <Ole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello all. I have a problem that I need help with.
> > My elderly Mother's Vista PC isn't working, and as she relies on this for
> > shopping etc I need to get it working (I am several hundred miles from
> > her).
> > The PC tried to install the latest Vista updates (20/2/2008) but upon
> > restart she gets the message "Windows failed to restart - a recent
> > hardware/software change may be the cause - File
> > windows\system32\winload.exe
> > "The selected file could not be loaded".
> > She doesn't have a start in "normal mode" option.
> > I have walked her through trying system repair/restore using the Vista
> > installation Cd, but after trying to restore she gets the message; "system
> > restore failed due to an unspecified error;
> >
> > "cannot create a file when that file already exists" (0x800700b7)
> >
> > We have tried 3 different restore points with the same result.
> > Can anyone help on this?

Bruce

Re: Windows failed to start
Rick,
I have now determined that Vista has loaded but it will not display the
desktop. If I use Ctl-Alt-Delete I get a screen that allows me to change
password (this function works) Log off or shutdown or reboot (all of these
work) but desktop will not display and task manager button just gives a blank
blue screen like the missing desktop screen. How do I fix this problem.
Bruce

"Bruce" wrote:

> Rick,
> I have had the same problem upon trying to boot my machine. I tried the
> installation DVD and ran Startup repair. The program said it was repaired but
> I can not boot and get nothing but a blank light blue screen. I tried
> re-running the Startup repair program from the DVD again and it says that
> everything is fine. Still can not boot. In addition, from the installation
> DVD I can not get a command prompt that allows me to get to the C: drive on
> the machine. In addition, after installing SP1 all of my restore points are
> gone and so I can not restore either. Help would be appreciated as this is my
> office machine.
>
> Bruce
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Probably the best thing to do would be to load the Vista DVD and boot from
> > it, then run a startup repair. The error is indicating that there is a
> > problem with the file that Vista uses to load the operating system. You
> > won't be able to successfully access any mode until it is repaired.
> >
> > --
> > Best of Luck,

> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> > My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
> >
> > "Ole" <Ole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello all. I have a problem that I need help with.
> > > My elderly Mother's Vista PC isn't working, and as she relies on this for
> > > shopping etc I need to get it working (I am several hundred miles from
> > > her).
> > > The PC tried to install the latest Vista updates (20/2/2008) but upon
> > > restart she gets the message "Windows failed to restart - a recent
> > > hardware/software change may be the cause - File
> > > windows\system32\winload.exe
> > > "The selected file could not be loaded".
> > > She doesn't have a start in "normal mode" option.
> > > I have walked her through trying system repair/restore using the Vista
> > > installation Cd, but after trying to restore she gets the message; "system
> > > restore failed due to an unspecified error;
> > >
> > > "cannot create a file when that file already exists" (0x800700b7)
> > >
> > > We have tried 3 different restore points with the same result.
> > > Can anyone help on this?

Rick Rogers

Re: Windows failed to start
Hi Bruce,

This should help:

Hit ctrl+shift+escape to open Task Manager. On the applications tab, click
'new task'. Type regedit and click ok, the continue at the prompt.

Expand the keys in the left pane by clicking the triangles at left to reach
this key:

Click on this key and locate the 'shell' string in the right pane. Double
click it, replace the contents with just

explorer.exe

Click ok, then close the registry editor and reboot the machine.

--

"Bruce" <Bruce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Rick,
> I have now determined that Vista has loaded but it will not display the
> desktop. If I use Ctl-Alt-Delete I get a screen that allows me to change
> password (this function works) Log off or shutdown or reboot (all of these
> work) but desktop will not display and task manager button just gives a
> blank
> blue screen like the missing desktop screen. How do I fix this problem.
> Bruce
>
> "Bruce" wrote:
>
>> Rick,
>> I have had the same problem upon trying to boot my machine. I tried the
>> installation DVD and ran Startup repair. The program said it was repaired
>> but
>> I can not boot and get nothing but a blank light blue screen. I tried
>> re-running the Startup repair program from the DVD again and it says that
>> everything is fine. Still can not boot. In addition, from the
>> installation
>> DVD I can not get a command prompt that allows me to get to the C: drive
>> on
>> the machine. In addition, after installing SP1 all of my restore points
>> are
>> gone and so I can not restore either. Help would be appreciated as this
>> is my
>> office machine.
>>
>> Bruce
>>
>> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Probably the best thing to do would be to load the Vista DVD and boot
>> > from
>> > it, then run a startup repair. The error is indicating that there is a
>> > problem with the file that Vista uses to load the operating system. You
>> > won't be able to successfully access any mode until it is repaired.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Best of Luck,
>> >
>> > Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
>> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>> > My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

Bruce

Re: Windows failed to start
Rick,
Thank you for the quick response. Unfortunately for me Task Manager will not
open, I get another blue screen when I try to open the Task Manager. The only
windows that work is the one to change password, etc.
I can get to the C: drive from the cmd prompt on the Bootrec.exe containing
install disk I downloaded. Is there any way to access regedit from the cmd
prompt? I haven't used DOS in years so I am very rusty on cmd line work.
Thanks.
Bruce

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Bruce,
>
> This should help:
>
> Hit ctrl+shift+escape to open Task Manager. On the applications tab, click
> 'new task'. Type regedit and click ok, the continue at the prompt.
>
> Expand the keys in the left pane by clicking the triangles at left to reach
> this key:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
>
> Click on this key and locate the 'shell' string in the right pane. Double
> click it, replace the contents with just
>
> explorer.exe
>
> Click ok, then close the registry editor and reboot the machine.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Bruce" <Bruce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Rick,
> > I have now determined that Vista has loaded but it will not display the
> > desktop. If I use Ctl-Alt-Delete I get a screen that allows me to change
> > password (this function works) Log off or shutdown or reboot (all of these
> > work) but desktop will not display and task manager button just gives a
> > blank
> > blue screen like the missing desktop screen. How do I fix this problem.
> > Bruce
> >
> > "Bruce" wrote:
> >
> >> Rick,
> >> I have had the same problem upon trying to boot my machine. I tried the
> >> installation DVD and ran Startup repair. The program said it was repaired
> >> but
> >> I can not boot and get nothing but a blank light blue screen. I tried
> >> re-running the Startup repair program from the DVD again and it says that
> >> everything is fine. Still can not boot. In addition, from the
> >> installation
> >> DVD I can not get a command prompt that allows me to get to the C: drive
> >> on
> >> the machine. In addition, after installing SP1 all of my restore points
> >> are
> >> gone and so I can not restore either. Help would be appreciated as this
> >> is my
> >> office machine.
> >>
> >> Bruce

Bob

Re: Windows failed to start
Run sfc /scannow.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

> Rick,
> Thank you for the quick response. Unfortunately for me Task Manager will
> not
> open, I get another blue screen when I try to open the Task Manager. The
> only
> windows that work is the one to change password, etc.
> I can get to the C: drive from the cmd prompt on the Bootrec.exe
> containing
> install disk I downloaded. Is there any way to access regedit from the cmd
> prompt? I haven't used DOS in years so I am very rusty on cmd line work.
> Thanks.
> Bruce
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi Bruce,
>>
>> This should help:
>>
>> Hit ctrl+shift+escape to open Task Manager. On the applications tab,
>> click
>> 'new task'. Type regedit and click ok, the continue at the prompt.
>>
>> Expand the keys in the left pane by clicking the triangles at left to
>> reach
>> this key:
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
>>
>> Click on this key and locate the 'shell' string in the right pane. Double
>> click it, replace the contents with just
>>
>> explorer.exe
>>
>> Click ok, then close the registry editor and reboot the machine.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Bruce" <Bruce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Rick,
>> > I have now determined that Vista has loaded but it will not display the
>> > desktop. If I use Ctl-Alt-Delete I get a screen that allows me to
>> > change
>> > password (this function works) Log off or shutdown or reboot (all of
>> > these
>> > work) but desktop will not display and task manager button just gives a
>> > blank
>> > blue screen like the missing desktop screen. How do I fix this problem.
>> > Bruce

Bruce

Re: Windows failed to start
Bob,
Thank you for your reply. I ran sfc /scannow from both the boot disk and
after cd to the C: drive where my Vista files are installed. Both from within
the boot disk repair computer console. The result was exactly the same in
both instances. "beginning system scan. This process will take some time.
Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."
Some additional ideas would be most appreciated. Thanks.
Bruce

"Bob" wrote:

> Run sfc /scannow.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
>
> "Bruce" <Bruce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Rick,
> > Thank you for the quick response. Unfortunately for me Task Manager will
> > not
> > open, I get another blue screen when I try to open the Task Manager. The
> > only
> > windows that work is the one to change password, etc.
> > I can get to the C: drive from the cmd prompt on the Bootrec.exe
> > containing
> > install disk I downloaded. Is there any way to access regedit from the cmd
> > prompt? I haven't used DOS in years so I am very rusty on cmd line work.
> > Thanks.
> > Bruce
> >
> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Bruce,
> >>
> >> This should help:
> >>
> >> Hit ctrl+shift+escape to open Task Manager. On the applications tab,
> >> click
> >> 'new task'. Type regedit and click ok, the continue at the prompt.
> >>
> >> Expand the keys in the left pane by clicking the triangles at left to
> >> reach
> >> this key:
> >>
> >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
> >>
> >> Click on this key and locate the 'shell' string in the right pane. Double
> >> click it, replace the contents with just
> >>
> >> explorer.exe
> >>
> >> Click ok, then close the registry editor and reboot the machine.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Rick Rogers

Re: Windows failed to start
Hi,

What sort of blue screen? The secure desktop one or a stop error? For the
secure desktop, just push the right arrow once and hit <enter>.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Bruce" <Bruce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Rick,
> Thank you for the quick response. Unfortunately for me Task Manager will
> not
> open, I get another blue screen when I try to open the Task Manager. The
> only
> windows that work is the one to change password, etc.
> I can get to the C: drive from the cmd prompt on the Bootrec.exe
> containing
> install disk I downloaded. Is there any way to access regedit from the cmd
> prompt? I haven't used DOS in years so I am very rusty on cmd line work.
> Thanks.
> Bruce
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi Bruce,
>>
>> This should help:
>>
>> Hit ctrl+shift+escape to open Task Manager. On the applications tab,
>> click
>> 'new task'. Type regedit and click ok, the continue at the prompt.
>>
>> Expand the keys in the left pane by clicking the triangles at left to
>> reach
>> this key:
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
>>
>> Click on this key and locate the 'shell' string in the right pane. Double
>> click it, replace the contents with just
>>
>> explorer.exe
>>
>> Click ok, then close the registry editor and reboot the machine.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Bruce" <Bruce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Rick,
>> > I have now determined that Vista has loaded but it will not display the
>> > desktop. If I use Ctl-Alt-Delete I get a screen that allows me to
>> > change
>> > password (this function works) Log off or shutdown or reboot (all of
>> > these
>> > work) but desktop will not display and task manager button just gives a
>> > blank
>> > blue screen like the missing desktop screen. How do I fix this problem.
>> > Bruce

Bruce

Re: Windows failed to start
Rick,
Thank you for the best laugh I have had since this situation started. Not
realizing that there are a multitude of blue screens my first thought was it
was between a Caribbean and a Kingfisher Blue LOL.
The right "arrow | enter" does not do anything so I am guessing it is not a
secure deskstop blue screen. Additional input most welcome.
Thanks,
Bruce