Vista Home Premium, Desktop: Sleep is really hibernate

Robert J. Lafayette

Vista Home Premium, Desktop: Sleep is really hibernate
rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Sleep

Creating a shortcut of this above mentioned routine causes a hibernate mode,

similar or exactly same as

rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState

Wanting to make a shortcut for a hot-button on my keyboard to create "sleep"
mode -- that is, awake computer from keyboard of mouse movement, and am
baffled.

Must admit the hibernate mode is good for ending a days work, but often I
wish to manually induce 'Sleep'.

Any thoughts?

Robert

Ray

Re: Vista Home Premium, Desktop: Sleep is really hibernate
"Robert J. Lafayette" <xyz1234@msn.invalid> wrote:

> rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Sleep
>
> Creating a shortcut of this above mentioned routine causes a
> hibernate mode,
>
> similar or exactly same as
>
> rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState
>

> Wanting to make a shortcut for a hot-button on my keyboard to
> create "sleep" mode -- that is, awake computer from keyboard of
> mouse movement, and am baffled.
>
> Must admit the hibernate mode is good for ending a days work, but
> often I wish to manually induce 'Sleep'.
>

> Any thoughts?

In the power options advanced settings, set "allow hybrid sleep" to
OFF. This should make it sleep the old way (i.e. without saving to
disc). Whether this will allow it to wake on a keypress I don't know.
On my Dell a keypress wakes it from either kind of sleep.

In power options you can also set your power button to make it
hibernate, if you want to do that at the end of the day.

I disabled the hybrid sleep after a power failure; I discovered that
the system was hosed (i.e. had to hold in the power button to force a
shutdown) trying to recover from hybrid sleep, but it recovers just
fine from a power failure in normal sleep.

--
Ray
(remove the Xs to reply)
Robert J. Lafayette

Re: Vista Home Premium, Desktop: Sleep is really hibernate
Thank you ,

Currently my power options have been set: "allow hybrid sleep" to OFF.

I have a HP s3123w. Still looking for that combo that works.

Robert

"Ray" <vortren-newsx@yaxhoo.com> wrote in message
> "Robert J. Lafayette" <xyz1234@msn.invalid> wrote:
>
>> rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Sleep
>>
>> Creating a shortcut of this above mentioned routine causes a
>> hibernate mode,
>>
>> similar or exactly same as
>>
>> rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState
>>

>> Wanting to make a shortcut for a hot-button on my keyboard to
>> create "sleep" mode -- that is, awake computer from keyboard of
>> mouse movement, and am baffled.
>>
>> Must admit the hibernate mode is good for ending a days work, but
>> often I wish to manually induce 'Sleep'.
>>

>> Any thoughts?

> In the power options advanced settings, set "allow hybrid sleep" to
> OFF. This should make it sleep the old way (i.e. without saving to
> disc). Whether this will allow it to wake on a keypress I don't know.
> On my Dell a keypress wakes it from either kind of sleep.
>
> In power options you can also set your power button to make it
> hibernate, if you want to do that at the end of the day.
>
> I disabled the hybrid sleep after a power failure; I discovered that
> the system was hosed (i.e. had to hold in the power button to force a
> shutdown) trying to recover from hybrid sleep, but it recovers just
> fine from a power failure in normal sleep.
>
> --
> Ray
> (remove the Xs to reply)

C.B.

"Robert J. Lafayette" <xyz1234@msn.invalid> wrote in message
> Thank you ,
>
> Currently my power options have been set: "allow hybrid sleep" to OFF.
>
> I have a HP s3123w. Still looking for that combo that works.
>
> Robert
>

> "Ray" <vortren-newsx@yaxhoo.com> wrote in message
>> "Robert J. Lafayette" <xyz1234@msn.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Sleep
>>>
>>> Creating a shortcut of this above mentioned routine causes a
>>> hibernate mode,
>>>
>>> similar or exactly same as
>>>
>>> rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState
>>>

>>> Wanting to make a shortcut for a hot-button on my keyboard to
>>> create "sleep" mode -- that is, awake computer from keyboard of
>>> mouse movement, and am baffled.
>>>
>>> Must admit the hibernate mode is good for ending a days work, but
>>> often I wish to manually induce 'Sleep'.
>>>

>>> Any thoughts?

>> In the power options advanced settings, set "allow hybrid sleep" to
>> OFF. This should make it sleep the old way (i.e. without saving to
>> disc). Whether this will allow it to wake on a keypress I don't know.
>> On my Dell a keypress wakes it from either kind of sleep.
>>
>> In power options you can also set your power button to make it
>> hibernate, if you want to do that at the end of the day.
>>
>> I disabled the hybrid sleep after a power failure; I discovered that
>> the system was hosed (i.e. had to hold in the power button to force a
>> shutdown) trying to recover from hybrid sleep, but it recovers just
>> fine from a power failure in normal sleep.
>>
>> --
>> Ray
>> (remove the Xs to reply)

Robert,

You should consider a battery backup for your system, regardless of how
you choose to shut down. These UPS systems are available from APC and a
number of other manufacturers. I have used APC for years and I will not have
a system without it. The UPS systems are not that expensive for household
use. It will give you anywhere from five minutes to 30 minutes of backup
power. You can purchase UPS systems that will give you hours and hours of
uninterrupted power supply but these systems cost thousands or tens of
thousands of dollars and are meant for server stability and functionality,
which you don't need. You should be able to get an UPS for $150.00 to
$300.00 that will protect your system very well, giving you up to 30 minutes
of battery backup.
In today's world it is common for households and businesses to suffer
power failures, brownouts and electrical spikes. An UPS allows your system
to shut down safely without the loss of data and the possibility of system
corruption.

http://apc.com/

C.B.

--
It is the responsibility and duty of everyone to help the underprivileged
and less fortunate among us.

Marcus L. Jackson

Re: Vista Home Premium, Desktop: Sleep is really hibernate
I'm a bit confused here. What exactly are you trying to do or what actions
and results are you trying to get?