Accessing files in a windowsimagebackup

LanM

Accessing files in a windowsimagebackup
Hello,

Bad day today: a crash disk. A new disk has been installed and I have tried
to recover my system using the image from the complete system backup I ran
one months ago, using the back up softaware of Vista Business.

Unfortunatelly, it seems that because it is a new hard disk the image cannot
be used. Actually, it has been impossible to even see the image file when
trying to restore the system or trying to extract some files out of that
image.

Now, I went trough re-installing my system (do not ask me for how long and
what level of frustration), but I would like to extract some files from this
image. Can someone help?

Many thanks in advance
Don Farmer

Re: Accessing files in a windowsimagebackup
I've read that the image can be mounted and accessed as a virtual hard disk,
VHD. I think you need Windows Server 8 for this. Also, I've read that the
new hard disk needs to be formatted before you do the complete restore.
Have you done that?

"LanM" <LanM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Bad day today: a crash disk. A new disk has been installed and I have
> tried
> to recover my system using the image from the complete system backup I ran
> one months ago, using the back up softaware of Vista Business.
>
> Unfortunatelly, it seems that because it is a new hard disk the image
> cannot
> be used. Actually, it has been impossible to even see the image file when
> trying to restore the system or trying to extract some files out of that
> image.
>
> Now, I went trough re-installing my system (do not ask me for how long and
> what level of frustration), but I would like to extract some files from
> this
> image. Can someone help?
>
> Many thanks in advance

LanM

Re: Accessing files in a windowsimagebackup
Hi Don,

Actually, I am not anymore focusing on that part of the problem since I went
through a full re-install (far from being completed by now). My focus is now
to be able to open that image and extract the files I am missing. I have
receovered the most critical files from a classical back-up, and I would like
now retrieve some less critical files, but still important.

Thanks for your help

"Don Farmer" wrote:

> I've read that the image can be mounted and accessed as a virtual hard disk,
> VHD. I think you need Windows Server 8 for this. Also, I've read that the
> new hard disk needs to be formatted before you do the complete restore.
> Have you done that?
>
> "LanM" <LanM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > Bad day today: a crash disk. A new disk has been installed and I have
> > tried
> > to recover my system using the image from the complete system backup I ran
> > one months ago, using the back up softaware of Vista Business.
> >
> > Unfortunatelly, it seems that because it is a new hard disk the image
> > cannot
> > be used. Actually, it has been impossible to even see the image file when
> > trying to restore the system or trying to extract some files out of that
> > image.
> >
> > Now, I went trough re-installing my system (do not ask me for how long and
> > what level of frustration), but I would like to extract some files from
> > this
> > image. Can someone help?
> >
> > Many thanks in advance

gerryf

Re: Accessing files in a windowsimagebackup
It's actually Virtual PC that allows you to mount these images and recover
files

Here's a very good article on it from a Windows Technet blog

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/wi...windows/?p=602

> Hi Don,
>
> Actually, I am not anymore focusing on that part of the problem since I
> went
> through a full re-install (far from being completed by now). My focus is
> now
> to be able to open that image and extract the files I am missing. I have
> receovered the most critical files from a classical back-up, and I would
> like
> now retrieve some less critical files, but still important.
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> "Don Farmer" wrote:
>
>> I've read that the image can be mounted and accessed as a virtual hard
>> disk,
>> VHD. I think you need Windows Server 8 for this. Also, I've read that
>> the
>> new hard disk needs to be formatted before you do the complete restore.
>> Have you done that?
>>
>> "LanM" <LanM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > Bad day today: a crash disk. A new disk has been installed and I have
>> > tried
>> > to recover my system using the image from the complete system backup I
>> > ran
>> > one months ago, using the back up softaware of Vista Business.
>> >
>> > Unfortunatelly, it seems that because it is a new hard disk the image
>> > cannot
>> > be used. Actually, it has been impossible to even see the image file
>> > when
>> > trying to restore the system or trying to extract some files out of
>> > that
>> > image.
>> >
>> > Now, I went trough re-installing my system (do not ask me for how long
>> > and
>> > what level of frustration), but I would like to extract some files from
>> > this
>> > image. Can someone help?
>> >
>> > Many thanks in advance

LanM

Re: Accessing files in a windowsimagebackup
Hy Gerryf

Thanks, this seems to be the light at the end of a tunnel. This is however
for true techie and I will have to contract someone for doing this work.
I remain therefore open to any other solutions.
Thanks in any case.
Cheers

"gerryf" wrote:

> It's actually Virtual PC that allows you to mount these images and recover
> files
>
> Here's a very good article on it from a Windows Technet blog
>
> http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/wi...windows/?p=602
>

> "LanM" <LanM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Don,
> >
> > Actually, I am not anymore focusing on that part of the problem since I
> > went
> > through a full re-install (far from being completed by now). My focus is
> > now
> > to be able to open that image and extract the files I am missing. I have
> > receovered the most critical files from a classical back-up, and I would
> > like
> > now retrieve some less critical files, but still important.
> >
> > Thanks for your help
> >
> > "Don Farmer" wrote:
> >
> >> I've read that the image can be mounted and accessed as a virtual hard
> >> disk,
> >> VHD. I think you need Windows Server 8 for this. Also, I've read that
> >> the
> >> new hard disk needs to be formatted before you do the complete restore.
> >> Have you done that?

gerryf

Re: Accessing files in a windowsimagebackup
It's really not difficult

Virtual PC 2007 is a free download
Install a vista inside a vista (since you don't have to register or activate
for 30 days, or even enter a key on install, it's free to do and you don't
need another vista license)
Once installed, you mount the image as a second drive

You already know how to do it all since you've installed Vista...then it’s
just a matter of going to a specific setting.

Trust me, you can do it.

> Hy Gerryf
>
> Thanks, this seems to be the light at the end of a tunnel. This is however
> for true techie and I will have to contract someone for doing this work.
> I remain therefore open to any other solutions.
> Thanks in any case.
> Cheers
>

> "gerryf" wrote:
>
>> It's actually Virtual PC that allows you to mount these images and
>> recover
>> files
>>
>> Here's a very good article on it from a Windows Technet blog
>>
>> http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/wi...windows/?p=602
>>

>> "LanM" <LanM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Don,
>> >
>> > Actually, I am not anymore focusing on that part of the problem since I
>> > went
>> > through a full re-install (far from being completed by now). My focus
>> > is
>> > now
>> > to be able to open that image and extract the files I am missing. I
>> > have
>> > receovered the most critical files from a classical back-up, and I
>> > would
>> > like
>> > now retrieve some less critical files, but still important.
>> >
>> > Thanks for your help

LanM

Re: Accessing files in a windowsimagebackup
OK, will try and come back.
Cheers
marc

"gerryf" wrote:

> It's really not difficult
>
> Virtual PC 2007 is a free download
> Install a vista inside a vista (since you don't have to register or activate
> for 30 days, or even enter a key on install, it's free to do and you don't
> need another vista license)
> Once installed, you mount the image as a second drive
>
> You already know how to do it all since you've installed Vista...then it’s
> just a matter of going to a specific setting.
>
> Trust me, you can do it.
>

> "LanM" <LanM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hy Gerryf
> >
> > Thanks, this seems to be the light at the end of a tunnel. This is however
> > for true techie and I will have to contract someone for doing this work.
> > I remain therefore open to any other solutions.
> > Thanks in any case.
> > Cheers
> >

> > "gerryf" wrote:
> >
> >> It's actually Virtual PC that allows you to mount these images and
> >> recover
> >> files
> >>
> >> Here's a very good article on it from a Windows Technet blog
> >>
> >> http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/wi...windows/?p=602

LanM

Re: Accessing files in a windowsimagebackup
Installation of Virtual PC sucessful. Thanks.
However, the Virtual PC asks me to "reboot and select the proper boot device
or insert boot media in selected boot device".
That's chioneese for me, although I now what a boot is.
Thanks for the support.
Cheers

"LanM" wrote:

> OK, will try and come back.
> Cheers
> marc
>
> "gerryf" wrote:
>
> > It's really not difficult
> >
> > Virtual PC 2007 is a free download
> > Install a vista inside a vista (since you don't have to register or activate
> > for 30 days, or even enter a key on install, it's free to do and you don't
> > need another vista license)
> > Once installed, you mount the image as a second drive
> >
> > You already know how to do it all since you've installed Vista...then it’s
> > just a matter of going to a specific setting.
> >
> > Trust me, you can do it.
> >

> > "LanM" <LanM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hy Gerryf
> > >
> > > Thanks, this seems to be the light at the end of a tunnel. This is however
> > > for true techie and I will have to contract someone for doing this work.
> > > I remain therefore open to any other solutions.
> > > Thanks in any case.
> > > Cheers

gerryf

Re: Accessing files in a windowsimagebackup
Once you create the virtual machine, you need to install an operating system
on it.

Let's assume it will be Vista, since I know you have a Vista disc

Drop that Vista Disc into your dvd-rom and then within Virtual PC select
your "virtual machine" and press START button (the one in the console with
NEW, SETTINGS, REMOVE, START)

You will get a window with a faux BIOS screen. Depending on your setup,
Virtual PC might not correctly guess where your VISTA DVD is-- Click on the
CD menu choice in the faux BIOS screen and choose USE PHYSICAL DRIVE ....
whatever "real" drive the VISTA DVD is in

A VISTA install should start....the rest is just like installing VISTA