Slow Shutdown - Cyberscrub

K_Drive

Slow Shutdown - Cyberscrub
Hello. I used an application called Cyberscrub. I was working on some
sensitve material and used this to clear my hard drive files including
Internet History.

Everything seemed fine after I uninstalled the application. The only
exception is that now Vista Home Premium takes 3 minutes to shut down. I have
not had anyother problems. (No response from Cyberscrub support.)

I have read about looking in the Event logs, but I don't know where to look.
I can get there: Start Menu: Right-click on Computer, then select Manage to
get to the logs. But, there are a lot of them.

Can anyone help with this slow shutdown problem?

I have also read about the WaitToKillServiceTimeout Registry setting, but I
don't know anything about the Registry. Is this something I can just look at?

Sincerely,
K_Drive
Rogue

Re: Slow Shutdown - Cyberscrub
I'm not too familiar with the program that you have used, but it appears
that your paging file has been set to clear at shutdown.

A little background (if you don't know already).: Your pagefile contains
information swapped from the main memory to your hard drive during a session
on your computer. Normally this information is not removed on computer
shutdown, which means that if you are that inclined you can sometimes see
interesting stuff in it when you edit it (parts of documents, file paths
etc). when you set the registry to clear this file at shutdown, the computer
has to take extra time to clear this information, leading to what I believe
is your excessive shutdown time.

Here is something that you can try to solve the problem:

<<START>>
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\Memory
Management]
"ClearPageFileAtShutdown"=dword:00000000
<<END>>

1. Copy everything between the tags into a text file
2. Save the file with a '.reg' extension, e.g. "page.reg"
3. Find the file that you have just created
4. Right click on the file and choose merge
5. Continue on any prompts that you may encounter (UAC etc)

your problem should now be solved, if it is what I suspect it is.
Hope this helps

K_Drive" <KDrive@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello. I used an application called Cyberscrub. I was working on some
> sensitve material and used this to clear my hard drive files including
> Internet History.
>
> Everything seemed fine after I uninstalled the application. The only
> exception is that now Vista Home Premium takes 3 minutes to shut down. I
> have
> not had anyother problems. (No response from Cyberscrub support.)
>
> I have read about looking in the Event logs, but I don't know where to
> look.
> I can get there: Start Menu: Right-click on Computer, then select Manage
> get to the logs. But, there are a lot of them.
>
> Can anyone help with this slow shutdown problem?
>
> I have also read about the WaitToKillServiceTimeout Registry setting, but
> don't know anything about the Registry. Is this something I can just look
> at?
>
> Sincerely,
> K_Drive

K_Drive

Re: Slow Shutdown - Cyberscrub
Rogue:

Thanks. This worked. My computer shuts down like it used to when I changed
this setting. It is easy with Vista. You can just go change the setting in a
Windows Explorer-like window and type a "0" over the "1". That is how I saw
that the WaitToKillServiceTimeout Registry setting was set to its default.

I read a little bit more on the setting you told me about somewhere else. It
makes sense that the Cyberscrub might have changed this setting because I
read that it has to do with someone reading the files - it is a security
thing, which is partly what Cyberscrub deals with. (But, I cannot confirm
that. I really don't know what Registry settings applications can alter.)

Thanks. You saved me 3 minutes every time I shut down my computer. If I do
that one or two times every day, that's a lot of time over the long haul.
(But, I was actually reading a book while this was going on. I could only
read a page or two, but...maybe I will set it back to "1".)

K_Drive