Live OneCare, unable to update

oldfogie

Live OneCare, unable to update
Windows Live OneCare was ok last night when I turned my computer off, but today says it's out of date, and can't get update to work. Have Vista Home Premium.
Saw an error, 0X0400407, haven't been able to find what that error means.
Help, please!
JW

Re: Live OneCare, unable to update
I suggest that you try one of the windows.live.OneCare newsgroups
"oldfogie" <oldfogie@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:xEHrj.81053$N67.12661@bignews5.bellsouth.net. ..
Windows Live OneCare was ok last night when I turned my computer off, but
today says it's out of date, and can't get update to work. Have Vista Home
Premium.
Saw an error, 0X0400407, haven't been able to find what that error means.
Help, please!

StephenB

Re: Live OneCare, unable to update
"oldfogie" <oldfogie@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Windows Live OneCare was ok last night when I turned my computer off, but today says it's out of date, and can't get update to work. Have Vista Home Premium.
>Saw an error, 0X0400407, haven't been able to find what that error means.
>Help, please!

Should be okay now. Try to update again from within OneCare - check for updates.
-steve
--
Stephen Boots
MVP Windows Live
oldfogie

"StephenB" <sboots@mvps.org> wrote in message news:gt3vq3dqsmhukdlitl5d3v06eo6fap7via@4ax.com...
> "oldfogie" <oldfogie@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>>Windows Live OneCare was ok last night when I turned my computer off, but today says it's out of date, and can't get update to work. Have Vista Home Premium.
>>Saw an error, 0X0400407, haven't been able to find what that error means.
>>Help, please!

> Should be okay now. Try to update again from within OneCare - check for updates.
> -steve
> --
> Stephen Boots
> MVP Windows Live
> Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
> sboots@mvps.org

I no longer have it. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but don't think it got completely uninstalled, but it no longer shows in Control Panel.
I downloaded It again, but won't completely install, get error 0037-80070666, then when I close that it says cleaning up my system, but get another error, 0029-8007000D.
I also tried restoring with backup, but says that no backup has been made, but I have at least 3 backups recorded on DVDs.

By "should be ok now", do you mean there was a problem with OneCare itself? Don't tell me I screwed it up for nothing!

StephenB

Re: Live OneCare, unable to update
"oldfogie" <oldfogie@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>"StephenB" <sboots@mvps.org> wrote in message news:gt3vq3dqsmhukdlitl5d3v06eo6fap7via@4ax.com...
>> "oldfogie" <oldfogie@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Windows Live OneCare was ok last night when I turned my computer off, but today says it's out of date, and can't get update to work. Have Vista Home Premium.
>>>Saw an error, 0X0400407, haven't been able to find what that error means.
>>>Help, please!

>> Should be okay now. Try to update again from within OneCare - check for updates.
>> -steve
>> --
>> Stephen Boots
>> MVP Windows Live
>> Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
>> sboots@mvps.org

>I no longer have it. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but don't think it got completely uninstalled, but it no longer shows in Control Panel.
>I downloaded It again, but won't completely install, get error 0037-80070666, then when I close that it says cleaning up my system, but get another error, 0029-8007000D.
>I also tried restoring with backup, but says that no backup has been made, but I have at least 3 backups recorded on DVDs.
>
>By "should be ok now", do you mean there was a problem with OneCare itself? Don't tell me I screwed it up for nothing!

No, you didn't screw it up for "nothing" as there was some problem with your
side in that you were still on version 1.6.
The backup you have on DVD requires that OneCare be installed to restore data
files you backed up.
Try using the cleanup tool first -
http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsO...28910&SiteID=2
Then reinstall from http://onecare.live.com
If you still get the 0037 error, see if the information in this KB article
helps: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930164
(the 0037 error means that the winss component is failing to install, the 0029
error is a generic roll-back error)
If not, please contact support:
How to reach support (FAQ) -
http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsO...21771&SiteID=2

"StephenB" <sboots@mvps.org> wrote in message news:gq60r3hvlf6o5fq9k1asdelnj7t56ks3eo@4ax.com...
> "oldfogie" <oldfogie@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>>> Should be okay now. Try to update again from within OneCare - check for updates.
>>> -steve
>>> --
>>> Stephen Boots
>>> MVP Windows Live
>>> Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
>>> sboots@mvps.org

>>I no longer have it. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but don't think it got completely uninstalled, but it no longer shows in Control Panel.
>>I downloaded It again, but won't completely install, get error 0037-80070666, then when I close that it says cleaning up my system, but get another error, 0029-8007000D.
>>I also tried restoring with backup, but says that no backup has been made, but I have at least 3 backups recorded on DVDs.
>>
>>By "should be ok now", do you mean there was a problem with OneCare itself? Don't tell me I screwed it up for nothing!

> No, you didn't screw it up for "nothing" as there was some problem with your
> side in that you were still on version 1.6.
> The backup you have on DVD requires that OneCare be installed to restore data
> files you backed up.
> Try using the cleanup tool first -
> http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsO...28910&SiteID=2
> Then reinstall from http://onecare.live.com
> If you still get the 0037 error, see if the information in this KB article
> helps: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930164
> (the 0037 error means that the winss component is failing to install, the 0029
> error is a generic roll-back error)
> If not, please contact support:
> How to reach support (FAQ) -
> http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsO...21771&SiteID=2
>

> --
> Stephen Boots
> MVP Windows Live
> Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
> sboots@mvps.org

I tried that, but says I must have administrative rights to run the cleanup tool, but I am an administrator!
How do I get past that?
oldfogie

Re: Live OneCare, unable to update
Disregard, I googled and found out how to sign on as administrator, and ran the cleanup tool, installed Live OneCare,
and working ok!

Thanks for the help!
StephenB

Re: Live OneCare, unable to update
"oldfogie" <oldfogie@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Disregard, I googled and found out how to sign on as administrator, and ran the cleanup tool, installed Live OneCare,
>and working ok!
>
>Thanks for the help!

Excellent.
For future reference, you might want to bookmark the OneCare forums:
http://forums.microsoft.com/windowso....aspx?siteid=2

-steve

"StephenB" <sboots@mvps.org> wrote in message news:35k1r31sm444osb9sm9dcmq7mpt2unc8ei@4ax.com...
> "oldfogie" <oldfogie@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>>Disregard, I googled and found out how to sign on as administrator, and ran the cleanup tool, installed Live OneCare,
>>and working ok!
>>
>>Thanks for the help!

> Excellent.
> For future reference, you might want to bookmark the OneCare forums:
> http://forums.microsoft.com/windowso....aspx?siteid=2
>
> -steve
> --
> Stephen Boots