Vista to XP?

Jerry Kiernan

Vista to XP?
I give up. Vista Home sucks. Is there ANY way to take my new computer, kill
Vista and go to XP pro??

Dustin Harper

Re: Vista to XP?
Yes, you would need to obtain a Windows XP Pro license and do a clean
install of XP. Make sure you backup all your settings and data.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

"Jerry Kiernan" <jerry.kiernan@snet.net> wrote in message
>I give up. Vista Home sucks. Is there ANY way to take my new computer, kill
>Vista and go to XP pro??

gregrocker

Re: Vista to XP?
Is it because you are slowed down by VISTA? It uses a lot or resources for
all of the fancy graphics and diagnositics. But there is a way to turn a lot
of this off and regain signficant speed. I started by turning off the Aero
Glass effects in Control Panel>Display, then unchecked all of the Visual
Effects but the last 3. If that doesn't speed it up enough then consult the
Black Viper's highly regarded list of services.msc to edit as you can turn
off a lot of resource hogs and not affect your system at all (Safe list) or
turn off even more and get a stripped-down version that gamers like (Tweaked
list).

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-10149_10...l.e497#2654466

http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

Black Viper is recommended by Leo Laporte radio show which is the top
computer show here in California.

"Dustin Harper" wrote:

> Yes, you would need to obtain a Windows XP Pro license and do a clean
> install of XP. Make sure you backup all your settings and data.
>
> --
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@vistarip.com
> http://www.VistaRIP.com | Vista Resource & Information Page
>

> "Jerry Kiernan" <jerry.kiernan@snet.net> wrote in message
> >I give up. Vista Home sucks. Is there ANY way to take my new computer, kill
> >Vista and go to XP pro??

gregrocker

RE: Vista to XP?
If the issue is resource hogging and slow performance, you can edit down your
graphics effects and regain considerable speed. Also shut off many unneeded
services using the Black Viper's vista services tweaks list and you will be
amazed.

"Jerry Kiernan" wrote:

> I give up. Vista Home sucks. Is there ANY way to take my new computer, kill
> Vista and go to XP pro??

Mick Murphy

RE: Vista to XP?
Hi Jerry.
If you have business or Ultimate, apparently there is a way to free
downgrade through the manufacturers to XP Pro, if dissatisfied(as far as I
know).

If you downgrade to XP, you lose your Hardware Warranty.

Also, check the computers manufacturer/s website to see if there are XP
drivers written for your hardware in your computer.

Later model computers have Vista ONLY Drivers written for them.

XP is still being sold until June 2008.

Dell still give you the choice of what you want, XP or vista.

hope it helps.

"Jerry Kiernan" wrote:

> I give up. Vista Home sucks. Is there ANY way to take my new computer, kill
> Vista and go to XP pro??

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Vista to XP?
On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 11:04:15 -0800, "Dustin Harper"
<dharper@vistarip.com> wrote:

> Yes, you would need to obtain a Windows XP Pro license and do a clean
> install of XP. Make sure you backup all your settings and data.

Maybe. Before doing so, Jerry should make sure that XP drivers for all
his hardware are available. Particularly if his computer is a laptop,
they may not exist.

Moreover, some computer manufacturers will consider that if you change
your operating system, it voids your warranty, so he should check on
that as well.

> "Jerry Kiernan" <jerry.kiernan@snet.net> wrote in message
> >I give up. Vista Home sucks. Is there ANY way to take my new computer, kill
> >Vista and go to XP pro??

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Jon

Re: Vista to XP?
Why should changing the OS void your hardware warranty? You've bought
hardware from the manufacturer and they should honour their agreement to
maintain and fix that hardware regardless of the OS in my opinion.

MANY people are extremely unhappy with vista, myself included, I'm fed up of
system hangs, slow startup, programs stopping working, hardware and software
incompatibility and a million and one stupid annoying bugs that happen on a
daily basis! I want to downgrade to XP, for me there's no WOW in vista it's
quite the opposite!

Also I design interfaces for a living, vista has an appalling interface,
it's so cluttered and illogical at times (especially for system
administrators), I hate the frosted glass effect, it makes the screen feel
really busy and is a waste of computing power! I switched all the visual
styling off and reverted the visual look back to '95 style.

Oh and just in case you think my system hangs are due to a rubbish PC, I
have a pretty high spec, intel dual core 2.4GHz processor(s), 6GB RAM, 1.5TB
hd storage and a ATI Radeon 2600XT 1GB..... so I don't think I should have
any problems with that spec!
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Vista to XP?
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 06:14:01 -0800, Jon
<Jon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Why should changing the OS void your hardware warranty?

Should? It should not, as far as I'm concerned.

> You've bought
> hardware from the manufacturer and they should honour their agreement to
> maintain and fix that hardware regardless of the OS in my opinion.

Yes, I agree, they should. Argue with them, not me. The fact, however,
is that some manufacturers consider that changing the operating system
voids your warranty. If that happens to you, and it might, your only
recourse would be to take them to court. My guess is that you wouldn't
want to go to those lengths, and that even if you did, the fine print
in the warranty would make it clear that you had no chance of winning.

> MANY people are extremely unhappy with vista, myself included,

And many more others are very happy with it, myself included.

But it's your choice. I'm not trying to talk you into anything.

> I'm fed up of
> system hangs, slow startup, programs stopping working, hardware and software
> incompatibility and a million and one stupid annoying bugs that happen on a
> daily basis! I want to downgrade to XP, for me there's no WOW in vista it's
> quite the opposite!
>
> Also I design interfaces for a living, vista has an appalling interface,
> it's so cluttered and illogical at times (especially for system
> administrators), I hate the frosted glass effect, it makes the screen feel
> really busy and is a waste of computing power! I switched all the visual
> styling off and reverted the visual look back to '95 style.
>
> Oh and just in case you think my system hangs are due to a rubbish PC, I
> have a pretty high spec, intel dual core 2.4GHz processor(s), 6GB RAM, 1.5TB
> hd storage and a ATI Radeon 2600XT 1GB..... so I don't think I should have
> any problems with that spec!

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Dustin Harper

Re: Vista to XP?
I have the t-shirt that says " I void warranties " .

--

"Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 06:14:01 -0800, Jon
> <Jon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> Why should changing the OS void your hardware warranty?

> Should? It should not, as far as I'm concerned.
>

>> You've bought
>> hardware from the manufacturer and they should honour their agreement to
>> maintain and fix that hardware regardless of the OS in my opinion.

> Yes, I agree, they should. Argue with them, not me. The fact, however,
> is that some manufacturers consider that changing the operating system
> voids your warranty. If that happens to you, and it might, your only
> recourse would be to take them to court. My guess is that you wouldn't
> want to go to those lengths, and that even if you did, the fine print
> in the warranty would make it clear that you had no chance of winning.
>

>> MANY people are extremely unhappy with vista, myself included,

> And many more others are very happy with it, myself included.
>
> But it's your choice. I'm not trying to talk you into anything.
>

>> I'm fed up of
>> system hangs, slow startup, programs stopping working, hardware and
>> software
>> incompatibility and a million and one stupid annoying bugs that happen on
>> daily basis! I want to downgrade to XP, for me there's no WOW in vista
>> it's
>> quite the opposite!
>>
>> Also I design interfaces for a living, vista has an appalling interface,
>> it's so cluttered and illogical at times (especially for system
>> administrators), I hate the frosted glass effect, it makes the screen
>> feel
>> really busy and is a waste of computing power! I switched all the visual
>> styling off and reverted the visual look back to '95 style.
>>
>> Oh and just in case you think my system hangs are due to a rubbish PC, I
>> have a pretty high spec, intel dual core 2.4GHz processor(s), 6GB RAM,
>> 1.5TB
>> hd storage and a ATI Radeon 2600XT 1GB..... so I don't think I should
>> have
>> any problems with that spec!

> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

PC Medic

Re: Vista to XP?

> Moreover, some computer manufacturers will consider that if you change
> your operating system, it voids your warranty, so he should check on
> that as well.

Not legally (not in the US any way).
Now they may tell you that you will need to run the OS recovery CD to place
the system back to a state it was in when purchased before they will provide
any OS support, but they can NOT 'void' your warranty for changing the OS
nor have I ever heard of any vendor doing so.