Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Disk Defragmenter problem

microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2008
leon88
 

Posts: n/a
Disk Defragmenter problem

Hey all,

For some strange reason my disk defragmenter has stopped working! I run
it as usual from the start menu, it requests permission to continue,
which I give, and then nothing happens! I've done a search and several
others seem to have this problem as well, but no one's provided a
sollution! Please help!


--
leon88
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2008
brummyfan
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Disk Defragmenter problem

Hi leon88
Try Auslogics disk defragment tool,it is free and very good.
www.auslogics.com.
hope this will help.


--
brummyfan
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2008
Mike Hall - MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Disk Defragmenter problem
"leon88" <leon88.34kfu6@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
news:leon88.34kfu6@no-mx.forums.net...
>
> Hey all,
>
> For some strange reason my disk defragmenter has stopped working! I run
> it as usual from the start menu, it requests permission to continue,
> which I give, and then nothing happens! I've done a search and several
> others seem to have this problem as well, but no one's provided a
> sollution! Please help!
>
>
> --
> leon88



Vista defrag works in the background when nothing else is happening. It will
not show what it has done/is doing. It just does it..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx




Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2008
leon88
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Disk Defragmenter problem

Hey guys, thanks for the replies!

brummyfan I'll probably try that, but it just sucks that this isn't
working, plus the computers not even 5 months old and it's acting up!

It doesn't show what it does but all the while there's been a little
window that pops up and provides the option to start defraging now, that
window doesn't appear anymore! Sigh..


--
leon88
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2008
Terry
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Disk Defragmenter problem
Read Mike Hall's post again.

Regards

"leon88" <leon88.34ksc1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
news:leon88.34ksc1@no-mx.forums.net...
>
> Hey guys, thanks for the replies!
>
> brummyfan I'll probably try that, but it just sucks that this isn't
> working, plus the computers not even 5 months old and it's acting up!
>
> It doesn't show what it does but all the while there's been a little
> window that pops up and provides the option to start defraging now, that
> window doesn't appear anymore! Sigh..
>
>
> --
> leon88



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2008
Kathy
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Disk Defragmenter problem
Why is it that I can't see that it's working? I'd rather be able to see it
running than hope it gets finished - and it never seems to. JMHO
Kathy
"Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@mvps.com> wrote in message
news:uYbAAS$aIHA.484@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> "leon88" <leon88.34kfu6@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
> news:leon88.34kfu6@no-mx.forums.net...
>>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> For some strange reason my disk defragmenter has stopped working! I run
>> it as usual from the start menu, it requests permission to continue,
>> which I give, and then nothing happens! I've done a search and several
>> others seem to have this problem as well, but no one's provided a
>> sollution! Please help!
>>
>>
>> --
>> leon88

>
>
> Vista defrag works in the background when nothing else is happening. It
> will not show what it has done/is doing. It just does it..
>
> --
> Mike Hall - MVP
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx
>
>
>
>


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2008
Mike Hall - MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Disk Defragmenter problem
"Kathy" <kathybear@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:86770B11-1BFC-4BF3-BE9D-48A00F64F3B1@microsoft.com...
> Why is it that I can't see that it's working? I'd rather be able to see it
> running than hope it gets finished - and it never seems to. JMHO
> Kathy
> "Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@mvps.com> wrote in message
> news:uYbAAS$aIHA.484@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> "leon88" <leon88.34kfu6@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
>> news:leon88.34kfu6@no-mx.forums.net...
>>>
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> For some strange reason my disk defragmenter has stopped working! I run
>>> it as usual from the start menu, it requests permission to continue,
>>> which I give, and then nothing happens! I've done a search and several
>>> others seem to have this problem as well, but no one's provided a
>>> sollution! Please help!
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> leon88

>>
>>
>> Vista defrag works in the background when nothing else is happening. It
>> will not show what it has done/is doing. It just does it..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall - MVP
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx
>>
>>
>>
>>

>



Defrag never really finishes because files are being manipulated constantly
by the user. This can be seen by the fact that, having defragged one time,
going back to defrag a week later shows that fragmenting has occurred yet
again.

So, rather than have the user decide on a defrag routine, Vista does it all
in the background, requiring no intervention from the user. In this way, the
hard drive is kept in good condition constantly instead of every now and
again when the user decides that performance is being affected by
fragmentation.

--
Mike Hall - MVP
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx




Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-26-2009
Messor
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Disk Defragmenter problem

Even so, the disk defragmentation program used to run in an active
window. I'm having the same problem, and I even check my processes to
see if it could be running, but it isn't. I also started cmd.exe as an
administrator and attempted to run defrag.exe with arguments to
defragment files in all volumes, defragment whole files regardless of
size, forces the defragmenter if remaining space was low, and to run
verbose mode, which is meant to give the user a detailed analysis.
Nothing happened. If someone else having the problem would like to give
it a go and see if it works, just search for cmd.exe from Windows
Explorer, right-click it and select Run as Administrator, and then type
"defrag -c -w -f -v" and press enter. Otherwise, Vista's defragmenter
is not working in either the foreground or background.


--
Messor
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-27-2009
THE C. [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Disk Defragmenter problem
Turn off you scheduled defrag in Vista, then download O & O Defrag 11. Its
free for 30 days. In your case use the Stealth option. You won't be
disappointed. MAke it a great day.
--
Computer/Software Tech.


Charles Richmond
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/



"Messor" wrote:

>
> Even so, the disk defragmentation program used to run in an active
> window. I'm having the same problem, and I even check my processes to
> see if it could be running, but it isn't. I also started cmd.exe as an
> administrator and attempted to run defrag.exe with arguments to
> defragment files in all volumes, defragment whole files regardless of
> size, forces the defragmenter if remaining space was low, and to run
> verbose mode, which is meant to give the user a detailed analysis.
> Nothing happened. If someone else having the problem would like to give
> it a go and see if it works, just search for cmd.exe from Windows
> Explorer, right-click it and select Run as Administrator, and then type
> "defrag -c -w -f -v" and press enter. Otherwise, Vista's defragmenter
> is not working in either the foreground or background.
>
>
> --
> Messor
>

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-27-2009
Malke
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Disk Defragmenter problem
THE C. [MS MVP] wrote:

> Turn off you scheduled defrag in Vista, then download O & O Defrag 11. Its
> free for 30 days. In your case use the Stealth option. You won't be
> disappointed. MAke it a great day.


No one should believe you about anything since you lie about being an MVP.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Disk Defragmenter Michael microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 1 09-21-2007 02:55
Disk Defragmenter Marjay microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 08-03-2007 15:44
Disk Defragmenter nocal microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 06-14-2007 11:40
The 'new' disk defragmenter... =?Utf-8?B?U3BoeW54?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 19 03-01-2007 15:39
Re: Disk Defragmenter--Use Raxco's Perfect Disk Much Better than M =?Utf-8?B?RGFsZQ==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 02-28-2007 17:43




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:59.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120