Vista crashes,how to backup in safemode?

lily325

Vista crashes,how to backup in safemode?

Last friday,my sister was using the computer,she had just opened a game
and the computer crashed,there was no way to shut it down or restart
it...we waited for a while and since it didnt work we had to push the
start button,after it restarted it showed the message that gives you the
safemode options and the normal option,I chose normal,it started
fine,until it showed the welcome center,the one where all the options
are as well as the antivirus then it crashed again

I pushed the button one more time and then I started it in safemode,it
went perfect,I ran antivirus and it found nothing,so I went back to
normal mode,but it crashed...pushed the button again and then I got the
"startup files damaged" screen and supposedly it fixed them,but it
crashed again...

I decided to go into safemode and restore it to the day
before,everything went fine,but it crashed again after restarting..

so far,itīs been through the "startup damaged files fixing" numerous
times and I have restored it to previous points twice...

yesterday,after one of many tries,it restarted fine and my sister even
managed to burn a files backup cd...then it crashed!

weird thing is we didnt install anything,no software,no hardware,the
last software had been installed about 10 days ago and wasnt even
running at the moment of the crash...

I guess I will just have to return it to the original
configuration...thatīs the advice I got from hp customer helpers...but
thing is,there is still a lot of stuff I need to backup,I tried to do it
in safe mode,but when I open the cd burner software,roxio,it tells me
the drives are unavailable...someone told me that happens in
safemode...so...

how do I backup in safe mode?? is it possible??

I did ask the hp guy and he told me he couldnt give me information
about backup because basically they are not responsible for file
backup....

--
lily325
Malke

Re: Vista crashes,how to backup in safemode?
lily325 wrote:

> Last friday,my sister was using the computer,she had just opened a game
> and the computer crashed,there was no way to shut it down or restart
> it...we waited for a while and since it didnt work we had to push the
> start button,after it restarted it showed the message that gives you the
> safemode options and the normal option,I chose normal,it started
> fine,until it showed the welcome center,the one where all the options
> are as well as the antivirus then it crashed again
>
> I pushed the button one more time and then I started it in safemode,it
> went perfect,I ran antivirus and it found nothing,so I went back to
> normal mode,but it crashed...pushed the button again and then I got the
> "startup files damaged" screen and supposedly it fixed them,but it
> crashed again...
>
> I decided to go into safemode and restore it to the day
> before,everything went fine,but it crashed again after restarting..
>
> so far,itīs been through the "startup damaged files fixing" numerous
> times and I have restored it to previous points twice...
>
> yesterday,after one of many tries,it restarted fine and my sister even
> managed to burn a files backup cd...then it crashed!
>
> weird thing is we didnt install anything,no software,no hardware,the
> last software had been installed about 10 days ago and wasnt even
> running at the moment of the crash...
>
> I guess I will just have to return it to the original
> configuration...thatīs the advice I got from hp customer helpers...but
> thing is,there is still a lot of stuff I need to backup,I tried to do it
> in safe mode,but when I open the cd burner software,roxio,it tells me
> the drives are unavailable...someone told me that happens in
> safemode...so...
>
> how do I backup in safe mode?? is it possible??

There are a number of ways to get your data off a drive when you can't get
into Windows.

1. Since you can get into Safe Mode, you can attach a USB thumb drive with
enough capacity to transfer the data or use an external USB hard drive. You
can burn the data to CD/DVD-R after you get the original computer fixed or
do this on a working computer.

2. If Windows will not stay stable enough in Safe Mode to do this, pull the
drive and slave it in a computer running a working install of XP/Vista.
Depending on the target drive's characteristics, you may need a drive
adapter; i.e., laptop-to-IDE or a SATA controller card, etc. A USB/firewire
external drive enclosure works very well, too. Use the working Windows
Explorer to copy the data to the rescue system's hard drive and then burn
the data to CD/DVD-R/.

3. Another alternative is to boot the target computer with either a Bart's
PE or a Linux live cd such as Knoppix and retrieve the data that way. Here
is general information on using Knoppix for this:

You will need a computer with two cd drives, one of which is a cd/dvd-rw OR
a usb thumb drive with enough capacity to hold your data OR an external
usb/firewire hard drive formatted FAT32 (not NTFS). To get Knoppix, you
need a computer with a fast Internet connection and third-party burning
software. Download the Knoppix .iso and create your bootable cd. Then boot
with it and it will be able to see the Windows files. If you are using the
usb thumb drive or the external hard drive, right-click on its icon (on the
Desktop) to get its properties and uncheck the box that says "Read Only".
Then click on it to open it. Note that the default mouse action in the
window manager used by Knoppix (KDE) is a single click to open instead of
the traditional MS Windows' double-click. If you want to burn CD/DVDs, use
the K3b program.

http://www.knoppix.net
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ - Bart's PE Builder

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
Chris Werner

Re: Vista crashes,how to backup in safemode?
Simple, use Acronis True Image backup. You simply boot from an Acronis Boot
CD into Linux and backup the entire hard disk image to a USB drive.

Chris