Vista restarts for no reason

jigglychar

Vista restarts for no reason
This laptop is fairly new and both when I'm using it, and when it's idle at
night, it will just restart for no reason. It's happening more and more, and
no error code comes up. What can I do?
Bruce Chambers

Re: Vista restarts for no reason
jigglychar wrote:
> This laptop is fairly new and both when I'm using it, and when it's idle at
> night, it will just restart for no reason. It's happening more and more, and
> no error code comes up. What can I do?

Simply power the laptop off when not in use, and especially at night,
when it's going to be idle for long periods. Laptops are not generally
designed with adequate cooling for such usage, unless you paid a
thousand or two more for a more robust, non-consumer grade machine.
Yours is possibly just over-heating and shutting down to alleviate
potential thermal damage.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Dustin Harper

Re: Vista restarts for no reason
It may be overheating and restarting. Make sure you have plenty of
ventilation around the laptop. There are also cooling mats with built in
fans that work very well.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

"jigglychar" <jigglychar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This laptop is fairly new and both when I'm using it, and when it's idle
> at
> night, it will just restart for no reason. It's happening more and more,
> and
> no error code comes up. What can I do?

Bob F.

Re: Vista restarts for no reason
> "jigglychar" <jigglychar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> This laptop is fairly new and both when I'm using it, and when it's idle
>> at
>> night, it will just restart for no reason. It's happening more and more,
>> and
>> no error code comes up. What can I do?

Your computer will restart after some updates. When do you have these
scheduled?
Bob F.

Dustin Harper

Re: Vista restarts for no reason
After it restarts for updates, it usually tells you it was "restarted after
installing updates".

--

"Bob F." <bob@furtawNOSPAN.com> wrote in message
>> "jigglychar" <jigglychar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> This laptop is fairly new and both when I'm using it, and when it's idle
>>> at
>>> night, it will just restart for no reason. It's happening more and
>>> more, and
>>> no error code comes up. What can I do?

> Your computer will restart after some updates. When do you have these
> scheduled?
> Bob F.

PC Medic

Re: Vista restarts for no reason

"jigglychar" <jigglychar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This laptop is fairly new and both when I'm using it, and when it's idle
> at
> night, it will just restart for no reason. It's happening more and more,
> and
> no error code comes up. What can I do?

Click Start
'Right' click Computer
Click Properties
Tell UAC pop up to continue when prompted
In the properties window select 'Advanced System Properties' in the
left-hand pane
In the Startup and recovery section click Settings
Under 'System failure' remove the check from Automatically restart

Now if it is a system error causing the reboot you will instead get an error
screen so you will at least have an idea of the cause.