Error: 0x80070079 The semaphore timeout period has expired.

MaxTilt

Error: 0x80070079 The semaphore timeout period has expired.
This is a ercent development. As I attempt to 'shuffle' any size file (or
group of files) to a Seagate 320Gb USB FreeAgent HDD, I get the Error:
0x80070079 The semaphore timeout period has expired. Sometimes I will then
receive a file name to either retry or skip. If skipped, several more files
may successfully complete before VISTA returns the same error message again.
This is a recent development. Initially, it flew. Now, it seems like maybe
some cache somewhere is full and needs to be purged? There have been no
recent hardware changes, and the drives are relatively empty (<50%).

It doesn't seem to be a problem when transferring files across the network.
Occassionally, when "saving target(s) as" Explorer will freeze up, requiring
an "End Task' action to be taken.

The system has been scanned and is entirely malware free.

System Configuration:

Windows VISTA Home Premium clean install - fully updated
MSI 865PE Neo2 LS
Intel Northwood PIV 2.8Ghz w/HT enabled
(2) ST3160811AS ATA (1 Master sATA 0 & 1 Master sATA 1)
Mad Dog LS-DVDRW TSH625M ATA (Master ATA Primary)
SONY CD-RW CRX320EE ATA (Master ATA Secondary)
ATI Radeosn 9600XT / X1050 Series
Intel PRO/100 VE Network Adapter
USB CF MS SD & SM Reader
Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC/QAM Combo
SB Audigy
LinkSys BEFSR-4 Router

Thank-you for any sage advice, pearls of wisdom, or moral support!

This shouldn't be happening to me!
--
Res Firma Mitescere Nescit!
Mark

Re: Error: 0x80070079 The semaphore timeout period has expired.
Well, I believe you have posted this question in enough places to get an
answer!

This is a "connectivity" error.
1. My guess, you have unplugged your Seagate USB drive with Vista running.
Later, when you plugged it back in, the wrong driver installed/initiated
(Generic USB device) for your Seagate USB drive and Vista cannot properly
negotiate with all of it.
2. Do you have Shared Folders on the USB drive?
3. Are you part of a wireless network?

This error is related to not being able to negotiate with a network, but
sometimes occurs when negotiating with removable media.
(Not all of these apply, but the details are sketchy going in.)
Check Device Manager for any Unknown Devices.
Remove drivers for the USB drive and re-install.
Check your networking settings make sense for your current use.
Try turning Network Discovery off and back on, turn off password
protection, turn off shared folders, etc.
Make sure you "Safely Remove Hardware"
If you are unplugging this USB drive, make sure things like Recycle Bin,
PageFile, Devices attempting to write to it when removed (TV Tuner/Audigy),
etc are turned off for this drive.

A second possible source of trouble:
SB Audigy - make sure you have the absolute latest drivers...
Creative and Vista are still having
problems.
Hauppage - while certified for Home Premium,
this company has also been plagued with
their drivers not working well with Vista
again, make sure you have the latest driver

Best wishes!