Computer won't start up or recover from sleep

Leo

Computer won't start up or recover from sleep
I've got a HP Pavilion dv2000 that I bought last year some time when I first
moved here to Germany. I bought and installed a copy of Vista Ultimate for
the laptop as it was labelled both 'Vista Capable' and the Upgrade Advisor
gave the ok.

Since then the latest and greatest problems are that the laptop won't always
start up when turned on (though the LED lights are on), and it won't recover
from hybernation, resulting in problem #1 again. These problems only arose
after my 90 technical support expired. Can someone please tell me what I can
do to fix this? It'd be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Leo Halley (USAF in Germany)
Rick Rogers

Re: Computer won't start up or recover from sleep
Hi,

Check HP's site for chipset and video driver updates, as they are the most
frequent causes of this behavior. Some systems simply don't tolerate the
hibernate/sleep function well - yours may be one of them. Keep in mind that
"Vista Capable" means you can run this operating system on it, not that
every function is fully supported. For that, the system hardware must have
full supporting drivers, not just basic functionality (which is frequently
the case with "capable" systems that rely solely on drivers included with
Vista).

The Upgrade Advisor is not an 'end all' tool, it only reports on what it
knows to be incompatibilities that would affect installation. Even then,
it's not an intuitive test, it only reports on what it is programmed to look
for and cannot detect a condition outside of those parameters.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org