Restore Points

Malachi

Restore Points
My Windows Vista Ultimate will only save about 5 restore points, prior ones
are discarded by the system. I have 50 Gigs of free disk space. I would
like to save more restore points. Can anyone tell me how to do this?
Also, can restore points be set to save to a remote device, like a flash
drive?
Thank you in advance for your help!
--
Born2Weld
See what is right with, rather than what is wrong with people and the world.
Mark

Re: Restore Points
Unless you've changed your defaults, Restore Points should only be deleted
automatically if they've been sitting in the buffer for over 136 years, or
you don't have room for new ones.

You can check how much space is allocated to Restore Points and Shadow
Copies with the command:
(From an elevated CMD prompt
vssadmin list shadowcopies

The allocation should be less than 15% of the drive where your OS resides.
Each Restore Point uses about 300MB.
(Meaning 5 Restore Points should be about 1.5GB + File Shadow Copies)
That's nowhere near 15% of even the 50GB you have left.

"Malachi" <Malachi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Windows Vista Ultimate will only save about 5 restore points, prior

ones
> are discarded by the system. I have 50 Gigs of free disk space. I would
> like to save more restore points. Can anyone tell me how to do this?
> Also, can restore points be set to save to a remote device, like a flash
> drive?
> Thank you in advance for your help!
> --
> Born2Weld
> See what is right with, rather than what is wrong with people and the

world.

Bob

Re: Restore Points
The number of restore points saved is not directly dependent upon the
available disk space. It's more specific than that. It's dependent upon the
disk space allocated

To reduce (or increase) the disk space allocated, type (or copy and paste)
“vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=c: /for=c: /maxsize=6GB” hit Enter. This
example assumes changing the space on
drive C to 6GB.

"Mark" <jmhonzell@nospam.insightbb.com> wrote in message
> Unless you've changed your defaults, Restore Points should only be deleted
> automatically if they've been sitting in the buffer for over 136 years, or
> you don't have room for new ones.
>
> You can check how much space is allocated to Restore Points and Shadow
> Copies with the command:
> (From an elevated CMD prompt
> vssadmin list shadowcopies
>
> The allocation should be less than 15% of the drive where your OS resides.
> Each Restore Point uses about 300MB.
> (Meaning 5 Restore Points should be about 1.5GB + File Shadow Copies)
> That's nowhere near 15% of even the 50GB you have left.
>

> "Malachi" <Malachi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> My Windows Vista Ultimate will only save about 5 restore points, prior

> ones
>> are discarded by the system. I have 50 Gigs of free disk space. I would
>> like to save more restore points. Can anyone tell me how to do this?
>> Also, can restore points be set to save to a remote device, like a flash
>> drive?
>> Thank you in advance for your help!
>> --
>> Born2Weld
>> See what is right with, rather than what is wrong with people and the

> world.

Rick Rogers

Re: Restore Points
In addition, the location of the restore points is fixed to the root of the
protected drive and cannot be relocated to a flash drive or other location.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Bob" <nowhere@nowhere.net> wrote in message
news:XLSdnQjoo87icjHanZ2dnUVZ_oWdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> The number of restore points saved is not directly dependent upon the
> available disk space. It's more specific than that. It's dependent upon
> the disk space allocated
>
> To reduce (or increase) the disk space allocated, type (or copy and paste)
> "vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=c: /for=c: /maxsize=6GB" hit Enter.
> This example assumes changing the space on
> drive C to 6GB.
>
> "Mark" <jmhonzell@nospam.insightbb.com> wrote in message
>> Unless you've changed your defaults, Restore Points should only be
>> deleted
>> automatically if they've been sitting in the buffer for over 136 years,
>> or
>> you don't have room for new ones.
>>
>> You can check how much space is allocated to Restore Points and Shadow
>> Copies with the command:
>> (From an elevated CMD prompt
>> vssadmin list shadowcopies
>>
>> The allocation should be less than 15% of the drive where your OS
>> resides.
>> Each Restore Point uses about 300MB.
>> (Meaning 5 Restore Points should be about 1.5GB + File Shadow Copies)
>> That's nowhere near 15% of even the 50GB you have left.
>>

>> "Malachi" <Malachi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> My Windows Vista Ultimate will only save about 5 restore points, prior

>> ones
>>> are discarded by the system. I have 50 Gigs of free disk space. I
>>> would
>>> like to save more restore points. Can anyone tell me how to do this?
>>> Also, can restore points be set to save to a remote device, like a flash
>>> drive?
>>> Thank you in advance for your help!
>>> --
>>> Born2Weld
>>> See what is right with, rather than what is wrong with people and the

>> world.

Julian

Re: Restore Points
"Malachi" <Malachi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Windows Vista Ultimate will only save about 5 restore points, prior
> ones
> are discarded by the system. I have 50 Gigs of free disk space. I would
> like to save more restore points. Can anyone tell me how to do this?
> Also, can restore points be set to save to a remote device, like a flash
> drive?
> Thank you in advance for your help!
> --
> Born2Weld
> See what is right with, rather than what is wrong with people and the
> world.

Hi Malachi,

If you are still watching, have a look at the threads I started under
"Disappearing Restore Points. Help?" and "Vista HP Users - Need some Info on
YOUR Sysem Restore...."

--
Julian I-Do-Stuff

Some Vista stuff, but mostly just Stuff at http://berossus,blogspot.com